Thread: Keel Damage

Keel Damage

Hello Everyone! I am new to this thread and enjoy reading through them. Obviously a lot of experience among you all!
    My 2014 PT 190 struck a rock and scraped off a few thousands of an inch of aluminum at the back end of the keel just below the drain plug. (Pictures attached) I had it water tested by tracker and there is no leaks or cracks. It was suggested to me by a master welder to have a piece of aluminum welded over the spot. My concern is wether this will affect the performance of the boat, such as causing a severe rooster tale that will hit the lower unit. Any input would be graciously appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it’s welded up it should be ground back smooth....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    I'd leave it as is.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

4. Banned
    Leave it be or throw a fat bead along the back weld and grind it down a bit.

5. #FRB
    If the thickness of the aluminum is still safe for using i'd leave it be. It's not a high performance hull by any means.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Member
    Thank you all for your input! I am going to leave it alone for now. If it comes down to it, I will follow through with bshort's suggestion.
    Thanks again!