Thread: New Prop

New Prop

Hey guys, i have a '96 stratos 201 pro xl with a '97 225 efi merc and I am looking for a new prop to run. Right now im hitting 66-67 top end and 5700-5800 rpm at wot. My boat is super slow out of the hull and sometimes i cant even get on pad. I wanna say my setback is 6" but im not 100% sure on that, it could be 4". Do any of yall have this same or similiar setup? I am wanting a prop that will get me out of the hull fast with a tournament load and increased top end and mileage would be a plus.

Sidenote: Anyone one with this motor feel like the gas tanks have holes in them? I understand that it is an older motor and wont have the mileage a pro xs or any new motor has but I feel like it could be a little better. I wanna say my stratos has 2 20 or so gallon tanks and I am almost running on fumes with a 30 mile run down and back (15 miles one way). Any extra help or knowledge would be appreciated

If you really burn that much fuel then there is an issue for sure. Those tanks should be more like 25 gallons each though.
    Those speeds with that boat and motor are just about right though. It will be very hard to get a prop that will increase hole shot speed and your max speed also.
    What prop are you running now and how old is it? What condition does it appear to be in? Do you trim it down all the way on take off?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    should have 50 or so gallon tank? mine has 52
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    what is prop to pad number important to know also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    i have a, i believe a Hi-Tech 27 pitch four blade not sure on the age but its probably a 5/10 has dings but the dings are fairly recent and has been doing it before them. Not sure on prop to pad number. I'm ok with my top speed if it means I can get out of the hull quicker. To fix the fuel usage, do you think it needs a tune up? I am not too experienced with mpg's but I do know that I should get a little bit better mpg.

If you are correct on the prop then that wheel is all wrong.
    You belong in a 25P Trophy or maybe even a 24P. They have the PVS venting system and you will be able to tune the prop for your hole shot. Using a prop like that being so old and out of tune plus being dinged up is just not conducive to what you want.
    Also check your PTP, look at the sticky on the top of this page for instructions. While your at it put a tape measure on the JP to see what your setback is.
    But, before you do all that do a check through this http://www.bassboatcentral.com/stratos1.htm to see what others are running with a rig like yours.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    I have a '97 Stratos 201 Pro XL DC with a 2001 225 Johnson HO. I run a 25-4 blade Renegade and it suits this rig fine. I top out at 56-5700 rpm and 70-72 mph. I like the 4 blade a lot in big water and with a tournament load, primarily on the Tennessee river lakes.

8. Member
    I also have a 6" Hi-Jacker manual jackplate.