Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kentucky Lake, June 2019

I’ve never been to Kentucky Lake. A couple buddies and I are planning a trip for the first week of June. I’m just now reading about the Asian Carp there. I’m sure this topic has been discussed on this forum, but I haven’t searched. Guys who are familiar with the lake - is this recent problem going to ruin this trip? We’re pretty good at offshore ledge fishing here in East TN, but I’m wondering if the Asian Carp problem is going to keep us from finding schools of bass.

Any input?

Also, the little I’ve read about it - my goodness, what a sucky circumstance for such a historically good fishery.

This is only my opinion which to some may not be worth a cent. Shouldn’t ruin you trip. The Asian Carp will definitely make it more challenging. You are likely to have some jump into your boat and will also look at a lot of them while you are scanning. Yes it’s unfortunate that they are in our system which means it’s only a matter of time before they reach y’all in Eastern Tenn. Best of luck

I live relatively close to KY lake and we are planning an trip to Pickwick to ledge fish in May. It used to be my favorite place to go but that has changed drastically in the last 2 years. There are still fish in KY lake, but between the carp (that get most of the blame), the lack of grass, some bad recruiting years, and the fishing pressure, fishing has been horrible the last few years, at least for me. You may have better luck not having a preconceived notion of where the fish are and how to catch them.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Banned
    It for sure will be much tougher to find “schools” of fish like you’re thinking. It can still be done though. Realistically though, be prepared to hit a ton of spots and catch 1 or 2 here and there. Hit enough spots and you can still piece together a fun day.

5. Member
    So the offshore places that have historically held schools of bass, many of these will likely be covered with carp? With bass mixed in? Or do I need to try to find places where the carp are not in?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by got eem View Post
    Or do I need to try to find places where the carp are not in?
    Good luck

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Good luck
    lol damnit. That bad huh?

8. Member
    Go to Cumberland in April. Be alot funnier.

Was on Barkley last June and they were terrible.....almost to the point of scary. I fished an underwater point during the morning and never saw one....came back later in the day and it was covered up with them. Never had one jump in the boat but one of my buddy's did and they make a terrible mess!!
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

10. Banned
    I’ve never been to Kentucky Lake. A couple buddies and I are planning a trip for the first week of June. I’m just now reading about the Asian Carp there. I’m sure this topic has been discussed on this forum, but I haven’t searched. Guys who are familiar with the lake - is this recent problem going to ruin this trip? We’re pretty good at offshore ledge fishing here in East TN, but I’m wondering if the Asian Carp problem is going to keep us from finding schools of bass.

Any input?

Also, the little I’ve read about it - my goodness, what a sucky circumstance for such a historically good fishery.
    Hope you don’t mind seeing Tritons running around everywhere, that’s the weekend of the owners tournament at Paris Landing. Had a good time last year, fishing was tough but still had fun. Looking forward going back this year.

11. Member
    I'd go to Pickwick or somewhere else man. I would almost guarantee you would not have a good time fishing here.

12. Member
    I bow fished barkley last year late may and managed to hit more than one with our t ball bat on the way back to the ramp late at night.
    I picked up the bat after one hit the eleectonics at the center console and another came over the front and hit the engine cover while we were checking the map. We were running the kicker at the time going about 8 mph.
    Not sure how it will affect your fishing there but they have gotten pretty dense in spots.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    I'd go to Pickwick or somewhere else man. I would almost guarantee you would not have a good time fishing here.
    As much as I hate to admit it, I completely agree. It's extremely tough to find schools of fish like we used to. Typically it's a 1-2 fish a spot now. Without any prior knowledge and I'm guessing limited time on a trip, you'll have a hard time finding enough spots to catch enough fish to justify the trip.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

14. Member
    So is Pickwick definitely the next best option for ledge fishing? I live 2 hours from Chickamauga, but my understanding is that lake fishes very small and it’ll probably be beat up by then. Plus I just kind of want to take a little longer trip.

15. Member
    Go to gville

16. Member
    So is Pickwick definitely the next best option for ledge fishing? I live 2 hours from Chickamauga, but my understanding is that lake fishes very small and it’ll probably be beat up by then. Plus I just kind of want to take a little longer trip.
    From all the things I've heard, Pickwick is an awesome ledge lake and is fishing very well. That would be my suggestion.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

17. Member
    I would go to Pickwick also, not sure how bad the carp are there now, be a good chance to enjoy it before they take over there. I live on Barkley hard to get anything consistent in the summer on the ledges, you’ll find a few then hit the ledge 2 hours later and they (carp) will fill your screen.... it’s sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky 520c View Post
    .... it’s sad.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

19. Member
    Last year was the worst year I've ever had fishing kentucky lake. I've fished it for 35 years, and had a place there for the last 20. If this year shapes up the same it'll be time for a change.

20. Member
    Many reasons for the fishery to be tough. Id go else where

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast