Banned

Active Trim - No GPS

75 4-stroke 2b490902

Had the vesselview link, active trim, nema, point 1 and hds live units installed. Active trim shows on and ready. Start going in gear and it kicks out saying "no gps." Has to be a setting somewhere on the HDS. Mercury customer support was no help..told me to take it back to the dealer so they could call a dedicated tech line.

Ideas?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You may have too many antennas in the loop here- which device is your HDS using?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You may have too many antennas in the loop here- which device is your HDS using?
    Everything shows point 1(global)

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try taking the Point-1 offline (disconnect), set GPS up to use it's own antenna, and see if the problem persists.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Banned
    Try taking the Point-1 offline (disconnect), set GPS up to use it's own antenna, and see if the problem persists.
    Thanks Don. This was set up using the Lowrance as the mfd, so the active trim’s touchpad (gps receiver) was not used. Mercury told me that the touchpad was not needed and that the active trim would utilize the available gps source. I will shut off the point 1 and try to utilize the HDS’s GPS receiver.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Curious to know how you make out on this one. Have had a couple customers where there seemed to be "confusion" as to the "address" of the GPS input.

7. Banned
    Curious to know how you make out on this one. Have had a couple customers where there seemed to be "confusion" as to the "address" of the GPS input.
    Probably won't be back out until mid-February. Stationary, everything looks normal and shows online. Thought about powering everything up (key on engine off) and having my wife tow me around the block to create gps speed over ground and see if the engine trims itself. Don't know if it would work or if the "smartcraft" is smarter than that.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Won't work that way unfortunately.

9. Banned
    I installed the touchpad and was able to get out on the water yesterday. Everything works as it should. I can control it through the touchpad or the HDS unit. Guess it needs the touchpad for its gps source.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be one simple solution (the Active Trim would default to the GPS in the pad). Will work with other NMEA-2000 inputs, but often gives problems when multiple antennas are on the network (internal or external). Simple solution- good job!