Banned

Question Hit trolling motor button and Si \DI screen changes Helix 9

HB sent me the choke, put it on and no change. When I hit the trolling mtr button the screen goes to the color of the pallete to a point where everything is hidden and it looks like my wifes hair if it was put in a crimper. looks like a lie detector on steroids. If I put the the trolling mtr on 100% it goes away. If I hit the trolling motor motor on say 80% I cant see a thing but the color I choose. Let off the button and coast and presto the pilings appear like day? Been batting this for 6 months and I am about ready to take a hammer to hit. That way I know its broke and It wont bother me. 112 fortrex foot controll. The motor was replaced because I bent the shaft. Is it possible the motor wasnt grounded when replaced? Does 83 KHZ setting effect it and if so what setting, it goes from -10 to 10. My Helix 10 on the dash works great. I give up. any suggestions , thanks.

When my wife gets home Ill try to post pics.

2. Banned
    thumbnail_20190128_180519.jpgthumbnail_20190128_180728.jpgthumbnail_20190128_180823.jpg you can see where I hit the power to the trolling motor and it got cluttered. First two are side imaging and the last is the down imaging. HELP!!!! I checked the fuse in the head of the trolling motor. I also ran an isolated line from the cranking battery to a bus bar just to make sure it wasn't getting interference from the dash. If it matters its a 2100 gambler. These pics are from the garage, it does the same in the water. Transducer is mounted with a transducer shield from Scagg at trunducer shield. com.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 01-28-2019 at 05:41 PM.

3. Banned
    Can any one describe whats going on in these pics????

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Can any one describe whats going on in these pics????
    Yes, you are starting/stopping the trolling motor out of the water and have RFI.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

This is the same thing with the motor deployed and submerged:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Mine does the same thing, gets a lot of thin lines on the unit when the trolling motor is on.

I faught this with my old 80# motorguide and 998 si. My image would look just luke the image Wayne posted when I would Turn the motor on at all speeds. I was able to get this to go away by running a 12 gauge wire from the negative on the trolling motor leads to the shaft of the trolling motor. My setup now which is minn kota and helix 10 di unit now does not have this issue, the shaft may be bonded to the negative(ground) wire already and or di may just not be affected the same.
    ><(((•>

8. Member
    Mine picks up interference sometimes when I manually press the power button, but no interference when I am spot locked.

9. Member
    I experienced exactly what you describe last year. After alot of messing around trying to isolate the problem, it ended up I had a cracked armature on the trolling motor (Ultrex 112), and once that was fixed, the problem went away. Hope that helps.