Livewell Valve replacement

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to remove the livewell valve. I'm able to access it and remove the cable but am having a hard time finding room to remove all the connected tubing. I'm sure if it wasn't 2-3 feet down in the boat it would be a lot easier. Do I just man handle it?

2. Member
    If it has the quick disconnect fittings, it shouldn't be too bad. If not, it's going to be a little more difficult and require some unusual positioning (think standing on your head) to get to it. If you're just rebuilding it, it's probably easier to leave it in place and do it without disconnecting the hoses.

This is a tricky one without seeing what you're working with. However, try to see what brand equipment is in the boat first to do some research on how it should' come apart. Check out Flow rite for a great way to redo your livewell system. They have some nice product that I have in my boat that make it easy to do maintenance on if you run into the issue in the future.
    https://www.flow-rite.com/marine/
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

4. Member
    Grab a pillow to lay on for comfort . The quick disconnects are very nice and do make future work easier. Also I would change all valves while your in there if you have multiples. Most valves are rebuildable if the housing is good. If the boat is older check the ease of the cable slide while valve is disconnected and inspect all your other plumbing components and hoses... Oh and you can wrap a rag around the hoses and grab with channel locks to get more reach. Hopefully someone didn’t silicone them. If you have plenty of extra simply cut them off. If all else fails give a tall skinny guy a six pack best of luck

5. Member
    Thanks guys for the encouragement. When i went to get a pillow, that's when it hit me to take remove the lid for the hatch, that allowed me to get down into it further. I had to remove the tube exiting the boat first, then one opposite going to the pump. Then i was able to rotate it enough to loosen and remove the cable, and finally (with some channel locks) able to remove the plastic L screwed into the valve. Its a flowrite valve, has a green lever. Goes to a Auto/empty/recirc control.

6. mikesxpress
    What boat?

7. Member
    '99 cobra 190

8. Member
    Call Flo Rite and talk to a tech. I am replacing both valves in my Ranger 390V. Ends up I need a right and left hand valve ( Front and rear control valve ) He also talked me into new actuators as mine were the old slide type instead of the rotary type. All total with shipping for the 2 valves and 2 actuators was $112. Without the call I would have ordered the wrong parts.

9. Member
    Replaced mine on my BassCat last night. Removed the lid and just lay on your chest. You have to start removing tubes till you get to the valve. Wasn’t too difficult.

10. Member
    My flow-rite is probably the OEM one on my 20 y.o. boat. It is letting water in/out of the tanks even in the closed position. When I fill the livewells in the driveway and put a little pressure on the actuator arm on the valve, it'll quit leaking, but as soon as you open it up and go back to closed at the remote lever, it leaks again. I don't see any endpoint adjustments on the linkage at the valve - is there adjustment at the remote lever, or is it just time for replacement?

I do say that using Flow-rite's online livewell system builder tool is a really cool way to understand how all of the parts and pieces go together, or what needs to change if you wanted to go to a different configuration.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    My flow-rite is probably the OEM one on my 20 y.o. boat. It is letting water in/out of the tanks even in the closed position. When I fill the livewells in the driveway and put a little pressure on the actuator arm on the valve, it'll quit leaking, but as soon as you open it up and go back to closed at the remote lever, it leaks again. I don't see any endpoint adjustments on the linkage at the valve - is there adjustment at the remote lever, or is it just time for replacement?

I do say that using Flow-rite's online livewell system builder tool is a really cool way to understand how all of the parts and pieces go together, or what needs to change if you wanted to go to a different configuration.
    There's an adjustment on the lever end of the cable. Take the 2 screws out that hold the lever in and you'll see the threaded adjuster where the cable attaches.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post

There could be crude on the flappers that's causing the problem. I always had to clean my flappers every couple of years.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    There's an adjustment on the lever end of the cable. Take the 2 screws out that hold the lever in and you'll see the threaded adjuster where the cable attaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    There could be crude on the flappers that's causing the problem. I always had to clean my flappers every couple of years.
    Thanks guys - I'll check both of those out.

If you are going to go to the trouble to get to your flappers to clean them you should just replace them.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

15. Member
    I frequently use a heat gun to soften any hoses going to any pumps in the hell hole. It won't work on the thin plastic ones, if you're not careful they will melt. After being in service many hoses get hard and even harder to remove. Channellocks can ruin an older hose.