98 225 EFI bogging and max rpm issue

I have a 98 225 EFi s/n OG606095 on a 98 ranger 519dvs with 2 10ft power poles. I am have having issues. When I go to take off my boat can be very sluggish before it will plane out. It starts bogging down. When it does get on plane it runs fair but will still chug every now and then at wot. I also noticed I have lost max rpm and speed at wot. I am only getting about 5500 rpm at 60 mph. I have seen 66 to 68 mph at 5850 (25p tempest plus)before. Water pressure is about 13 to 14 on plane.The issue seems to get worse throughout the day. Same way when loading it on the trailer. It just bogs trying to load it. I have checked compression and hasn't changed since I bought it 4 years ago( 98 to 101 on all 6). I have changed spark plugs and today 6 all new coil packs. I also cleaned the little thimble looking filter on the regulator. I am thinking at this point it has to be fuel related. Maybe injectors,pump, or filter?I also forgot to mention I did have an old gray fuel line but I changed it along with a new quiksilver bulb. I need some help guys
    Last edited by waffles; 01-28-2019 at 08:24 AM.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

3. Member
    I think I edited my post with all required info I hope

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also responded to your (very similarly worded) PM.

Compression Test:

Spark Test:

Fuel Quality, Delivery and Pressure Tests:

Also check ALL temp sensors (including the Intake Air Temp Sensor).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I don't know much about all the tests and stuff. But if it hasn't been done, just do this.
    Have the injectors cleaned
    Rebuild/clean the low pressure fuel pump and install the new hoses while you are at it.

I had constant problems out of mine. Tried props and spark plugs, etc. etc. etc... Had to basically have someone stand on the front to plane out and could not power load at all.

Get your injectors cleaned.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Also responded to your (very similarly worded) PM.

Compression Test:

Spark Test:

Fuel Quality, Delivery and Pressure Tests:

Also check ALL temp sensors (including the Intake Air Temp Sensor).
    Really need to check the above (basics) BEFORE you begin removing items from the engine. Can't stress this enough.

Also... if this started on or about the time you added the power poles, it might be worth unbolting them and strapping them to the back deck- go run and make sure you don't "mysteriously" regain the lost performance (or a good portion of it). Every year we run across 3-4 boats here that find this resolves their concern... and then we can look at ways to be able to keep poles AND performance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Have you changed the water separator? An old one will make one act like this.
    Champion 206
    250XB

8. Member
    Ok guys did a few more things to the boat

Going to get a timing light to check spark

Compression was 98 to 100 on all cylinders

Head and air temp sensor op checks were good.

Ordered new water/fuel filter

Bought new diaphragm kit for my pulse fuel pump(found a hairline crack on the middle plastic piece) so I will be ordering a new pulse pump.

Still need to get the harness to check my tps sensor.

Am I forgetting anything else I should check before I start digging deeper?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel Pressure at:

-Idle
    -Under Acceleration
    -15/30/60 Seconds after engine shutdown.

Record results for each.

10. Member
    what boat, what prop, reason I ask is early 3.0L 225 eng did not respond well without small hub trophy propellers
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    25p tempest plus

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waffles in PM
    So back to my 98efi. Still bogging after rebuild of pulse pump,new fuel filter, new plugs. Stays bogged at 2100rpm. Took off good on first run. Still didnt hit max rpm or speed. Got to first stop then would not plane again. Fuel pressure at idle a max rpm was 35psi. I had a leaky gauge but bleed down are as follows for 15,30 and 60 seconds. 28psi then 25 then 22
    We will basically ignore the "after shutdown" numbers as you said you have a leaky gauge.

Not concerned with pressures. Reed condition should be checked, and I would also check the exhaust tuner (specifically idle relief ports) for blockage.

See: Poor Performance- 3L EFI or Optimax, PLUGGED EXHAUST TUNER

13. Member
    Just wanted to come back to let everyone know after changing so many things on my problem(ecus, plugs, wires, coil packs, filters, new lines, both fuel pumps) i sent the injectors out and that fixed my problem. Should have started there but i am g2g now. Thanks to this group for all the help.

14. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waffles View Post
    Just wanted to come back to let everyone know after changing so many things on my problem(ecus, plugs, wires, coil packs, filters, new lines, both fuel pumps) i sent the injectors out and that fixed my problem. Should have started there but i am g2g now. Thanks to this group for all the help.
    Who cleaned your injectors?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."