Thread: Lake Oliver

Lake Oliver

Looking at some homes around Smith Station to retire. Are there any bass in Lake Oliver?
    Thanks
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

2. Member
    Natch64, yes there are bass in Lake Oliver. But if you retire here in Smith Station area I know you will come to like Lake Harding better. A little farther drive but very easy from Smith Station area with better fishing. You will be close to FT.Benning,Ga . Smith Station is growing with a lot of military retirees and others from the Columbus Ga area moving in.It is about 45 to 55 min drive for me to reach Lake Eufaula at Lake Point resort. In addition I can be at Lake Martin in Dadville Al in 1hr and 25 minutes, another easy drive. There are other lakes that are within easy driving distance from Smith Station also. The only time I fish Oliver is in May when they have the Bass Rodeo. This is one event you must try. If interested I can give you more info on the rodeo. I first came to this area in 1968 when I sighed up for the Army. I went thru basic training here then came back after AIT for airborne school. Later during my time in service I was assigned to Ft. Benning on several times and finally in 1988 I retired here from Ft. Benning ga. No regrets I love it here.
    Last edited by topper 92bullet; 02-03-2019 at 10:57 AM.

3. Member
    Short answer is yes. But I feel you will come to like Lake Harding better. Also Lake Eufaula in Eufaula al is just a 45 to 60 min drive. fT. Benning has a nice camp ground and launch on the Al side of the river. Also good fishing in that area. I retired here in this area from Ft.Benning in 1988 and love it. If you need answers to any questions that you may have I will try to answer them for you. I don"t get on the boards often now but will check in now more often.

4. Member
    Topper 92bullet
    Thanks for the response.

We have 2 grand daughters in Opelika and grandma is itching to get closer. Currently, we live 8 miles from Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, NC, with retired and active duty families, all around. We have good lakes within 2 to 3 hours, but around here we fish brackish water rivers. You can catch bass, pickerel, crappie, stripers, redfish, speckled trout and flounder in the same areas. Your response made me feel more comfortable with the move.
    I’ll stay in touch.
    Thanks
    Steve
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

5. Member
    I certainly understand Grandma wanting to be closer to the grand kids. We have 5 here close and 2 great grand kids close. We have 2 in Florida though that we would love to see more often. Smith Station has quite a large population of retired military here like you have. I see Marine ,Air Force, Navy retirees at Martin Army Hospital and the post PX also. Like I said earlier we have great lakes for bass,crappie,bream,catfish, spotted bass,strippers just can`t help with the flounder and speckled trout though. A couple of things you might want more info on Martin Army Hospital has been good for the wife and I no complaints. The PX is good and the commissary although its in an older bldg is decent . Any questions you may have just give a shout.

6. Member
    Just sent an email to Martin Army Hospital, to see if I would be allowed to use their services, for my Medicare/Tricare appts. Thanks for the heads up.
    We’ll be going down to Opelika in March, to see the kids and little ones and to look around the neighborhoods in your area.
    My only requirements are a pool and enough garage space for 2 vehicles and my Intracoastal, like our current place.
    Hope we don’t have to build, but we’ll cross that bridge when we have to.

Thanks again.
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

7. Member
    Hope you have success with the request with Martin Army Hospital. If not now there are quite a few good Doctors in Phenix City and Columbus Ga.

8. Member
    Response from the Martin Army Hospital, was they no longer treat Tricare For Life patients. Time for plan B
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)