Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HDS Live, how can it Network to Gen 2 Touches

Asking for a friend. He currently has Gen Touch 7 and 9s on his boat. He has just purchased a HDS Live 12. He said he hear he cannot connect them all via Ethernet as not compatible and I told him I would try to verify. From what I can see on Lowrance sight there should be no issues with connecting all units via Ethernet and NMEA2000. Anybody heard same thing he did.

NMEA2000, yes.

Ethernet, no.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    NMEA2000, yes.

Ethernet, no.
    Is it a complete no. I kind of figured things like the transducer that you would normally share ethernet would not work since HDS live supports the 3 in 1 and Gen 2 does not, bit stuff like the Waypoint sharing, and Map card sharing would.

4. Member
    I was told map sharing will not, waypoints yes.

5. Member
    You really don`t want to use ethernet between a Live and older units than HDS Gen 3. You might experience a few bugs on the Live if you do, and the Live will revert to legacy mode. (Which basically means you have wasted quite a bit of money as it will act like a HDS Gen 2 just with the better screen.)

So yes, it can be done. But no, it should not be done. :) NMEA2000 is ok, no problems there.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    You really don`t want to use ethernet between a Live and older units than HDS Gen 3. You might experience a few bugs on the Live if you do, and the Live will revert to legacy mode. (Which basically means you have wasted quite a bit of money as it will act like a HDS Gen 2 just with the better screen.)

So yes, it can be done. But no, it should not be done. :) NMEA2000 is ok, no problems there.
    Thanks for the detail. I will share and let him now definitely just keep the NMEA2000.

7. Member
    Is it the same scenario going from hds gen 3 to network with a gen 2? Only nmea? Thanks!
    Last edited by jdwo2212; 03-01-2019 at 09:52 PM.

8. Member
    If the Gen 3 is on current software I would again not recommend ethernet with older units/ modules. If the Gen 3 is running old software there should be no issues.

9. Member
    If the Gen 3 is on current software I would again not recommend ethernet with older units/ modules. If the Gen 3 is running old software there should be no issues.
    If I purchased a new Carbon unit does the same rule apply?? I have 3 Gen 2 units that I would want to Ethernet with.

10. Member
    Carbon (and Live) does not play well with older units than Gen 3 at all, through ethernet, regardless of software.

11. Member
    Thanks for clearing it up! Great help.

12. Member
    Carbon (and Live) does not play well with older units than Gen 3 at all, through ethernet, regardless of software.
    Really too bad that they make the Newer Units so they are NOT Plug & Play as one would hope for. Why should I have to give up my older investments just to add a newer unit??? For those of that are on fixed incomes it pretty much counts us out as far as saving up our pennies to upgrade.

13. Member
    Noone is forcing you to buy a new unit, or to use ethernet between that and whatever else you have in your boat. Heck, if the cost of these toys is to high, simply buy used ones that are one or two generations behind. That is what I do. The newest unit I own personally right now is a Gen 3.

14. Member
    Hi folks, Newbie here.

I have a HSD12 Gen2 Touch and new HDS12 Live. Didn't know there would be an issue connecting as had always heard that they share once past the Gen1 phase. Learning more, I went into legacy mode.
    It seemed that the HDS12 Gen2 Touch worked ok, just lost the extra channel on the Live unit. Only running the 3 in 1 now anyhow.

I did not find any issues playing around other than some quirkiness in the Gen2 unit not allowing dual display sonar High and Medium chirp. I think it would only do one or the other, but have to revisit it.

I had reset the Live unit and not re-connected the Gen2 ethernet for now, but really would like to get them networked. Just trying to really figure out what I lost. I didn't see any issues with the Live unit as result other than it was in Legacy mode. If losing only the extra channel, I am ok for now until I can scratch up some extra $$ later and then upgrade to both Live units.

Thinking about plugging the Gen2 back up.....

Has anyone played around and figured out what is lost as result of being in legacy mode? I really want the Gen2 to only display what the Live is doing network wise, but have other visible screens.

15. Member
    What I have noticed:
    Issues with Genesis Live, GL not starting.
    Issues with signal-processing, my 2D freezing for a few seconds before «jumping»
    back.
    Issues with noise-filtering. 2D-chirp and Structursscan interferring with eachother.

16. Member
    My radar overlay works over Ethernet with a Gen2T and a live together. Map sharing seems to work too. I'm not using network sonar, so hopefully doesn't go into legacy mode.

17. Member
    Thanks guys....
    acseatsri, I have the new Halo24 radar and when networked, it seemed fine. I did get one benefit on the Gen2 in that it allowed me in the menu to turn off/on the Halo24 LED lighting whereas on the Live unit, I have to go to settings to turn it off/on. I am not sure if it is legal to run that blue led glow lighting so would like to be able to turn on/off quickly. lol.
    If I do decide to reconnect the ethernet cable to the Gen2, prior to doing so, how to I make sure i turn off the sonar from the network? Just make it local?

18. Member
    If you do not have a dual channel multi-source transducer(3in1)(I don't know about 2in1) and have no interest in displaying 2 separate 2D sonars simultaneously. Everything else...."SHOULD" work just fine. Legacy mode as I read it impacts only the dual channel multi-source capabilities of the Carbon and up.

19. Member
    I have the 3in1 transducer, but it only connects to 1 of the 2 channels, which is channel 2. I do not have another transducer at this time. Not sure I am understanding what you mean by a dual channel multi source transducer? The 3in1 only has the 1 plug which has to connect to channel 2. Sorry if I am not reading your meaning here.....

By the way, I just got a response from lowrance on another forum post and they said that I would not lose any performance or quality in legacy mode, so that is a good sign.

20. Member
    Yes... but it's multi-source.... In regards to the Lowrance response... That pretty much echos what I stated in the previous post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast