Thread: Purchasing land

Purchasing land

I'm looking to buy a small piece of land 17 acres (all wooded) to be exact to do some bow and gun deer hunting. I'm wondering what you guys all look for when buying land as it's no small pocket change. Couple I thought of right away was loud road, neighbors. It's about 11 minutes from my house so easy to check on. But before I go pull the trigger what is everyone looking at when buying land.

I would consider the surrounding property. Is there enough land to hold deer between yours and the neighbors? Also, could a development be built on the next door property anytime soon? Are the neighbors a-holes that won’t respect property lines? Just a few thoughts.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I look for timber value and access. Clear title too..

A place that small, neighbors are going to be your biggest worry. I would talk to all the neighbors before I did anything.

5. Member
    Ditto on Double checking the neighbors..
    Friend of mine bought some property up your way for hunting...he can't keep his neighbor (and the neighbors live stock) off of it. Come deer season he is constantly taking tree stands down and throwing them back over the property line. (Says he's going to start keeping them next year.) Also had to deal with all the neighbors friends that have hunted there in the past.

6. Member
    What type of access do you have for that property? This could make a difference in usage of the land.

7. Member
    Drainage patterns, water quality, environmental issues below ground, endangered species presence, electric,water and trash services,
    neighbors pool view, Kids, kids, any more kids, loud parties by neighbors who don’t invite you, air traffic, any schools or manufacturing which causes heavy traffic, any traffic constrictions, okies, etc.

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    For sure check with neighbors. If you are buying it for deer hunting only I would make sure there are resources deer are interested in that surround the land as well.

Will the land perk? Does it have a well on it to test water quality?

10. Member
    I'd check with neighbors. See if they hunt. If you play your cards right, you might be able to hunt their land if you let them hunt on yours. Or maybe they don't hunt at all and they wouldn't mind if you hunted on their land?

Also, I'd consider timber value in your woods. If times get tough, you can always cut down some of the more mature trees for extra $$$.

11. Member
    Not sure of how it is in WI but I would double check that the land comes with full mineral rights. Sounds like everything else has been covered

12. Member
    If it's that small chunk with the cabin included listed online, I'd walk the property and see the potential for a small food plot or two, as well as water sources. I know guys that have just woods in your area with no food or water sources, and they've been shocked about lack of deer at times.

13. Member
    Ok bass-o-maticjm you did some serious looking into me so you found what I was looking at kind of creepy but whatever. I was unable to purchase land as I was a day late it sold within 7 days of being online

14. Banned
    If it is quality hunting land, and it is you main reason for the purchase would check out a lot of things listed above for sure. One way to off set the cost that i have seen done here is form you a hunting club and decide on how many members you want to have and set the annual dues from the club to make the bulk or most of your yearly mortgage payment. Saw one friend of mine purchase 1oo acres and formed a small club of 15 members with a initiation of $250 and yearly dues of $1500. He took in over $26,000 the first year and $22,500 each year there after. He had strict harvest rules for the club to go by. After 5 years he saw the club was very happy with the quality of bucks they were taking and increased the yearly dues to $2000 per year. That increased his income by $7500 which made his yearly income to $30,000. He dissolved the club after 15 years because he had paid off the bank note. Just a thought for you to consider.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone2004 View Post
    I was unable to purchase land as I was a day late it sold within 7 days of being online
    Well that sux! Better luck next time.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    GL
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone2004 View Post
    Ok bass-o-maticjm you did some serious looking into me so you found what I was looking at kind of creepy but whatever. I was unable to purchase land as I was a day late it sold within 7 days of being online
    Nope, I didn't do any serious looking into you, it was a total coincidence. I'm subscribed to the realtor's email newsletters for land in your area and saw that listing a couple of days before I saw your post. When I saw your post and where you were from, I just put 2 and 2 together that it was the same piece of land. I guess I should've stated that up front. LOL

Bummer it didn't work out for you and best of luck in your search. I know how hard it is to come into good land in that area.