Battery Powered Auger

My son is thinking of buying one, anyone got any helpful info?

2. Member
    Buddy bought a strike master lithium 40v last year and loves it. We fished together about a month ago and it was pretty sweet. Light weight compared to my eskimo gas from 20 years ago.
    Now if I had big drills at home I might be convinced to go with the Nils attachments instead. Another friend is a carpenter and has multiple HD drills and bought the nils attachment and loves it. I have not seen it in use but he swears by it.
    That's all I got hope it helps.

3. Member
    If you don't deal with thick ice, they're the way to go. Either the complete electric, or the cordless drill/auger combo. When the ice gets over 14-16 inches, then I go back to my Strikemaster powerhead and K-drill (still much lighter). When it's thick...or if you drill a ton of holes, you end up needing too many batteries. From what i've experienced, you can get 300-400 inches of ice on bigger batteries with the cordless, really not sure with the battery augers.

electric seems to be the wave of the future, keep a spare battery, and keep them somewhat warm and charged.

5. Member
    Go with a cordless drill/auger combo, then you have a drill to use year round. A couple of the most popular drills are the Milwaukee Fuel, Dewalt, and Ridgid Octane. I have been using the drill auger combos for years and it works great. I have a Milwaukee mud mixer drill that I have paired with a 8" Strikemaster Lazer and a Milwaukee fuel hammer drill paired with a 6" Nils convertible auger.

6. Member
    I went with auger adapter for my 18v Ridgid octane drill. Works amazing.
    This is the adapter I bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eskimo-Ice-...ss!60420!US!-1

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFish View Post
    Go with a cordless drill/auger combo, then you have a drill to use year round. A couple of the most popular drills are the Milwaukee Fuel, Dewalt, and Ridgid Octane. I have been using the drill auger combos for years and it works great. I have a Milwaukee mud mixer drill that I have paired with a 8" Strikemaster Lazer and a Milwaukee fuel hammer drill paired with a 6" Nils convertible auger.
    This is what my buddy does, and paired his drill with the 8" K-DRILL. Very lightweight setup, and that auger rips through the ice surprisingly fast. I know when I go to buy my own setup next year, I'm going to replicate his setup.