Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne View Post
    Yeah, I can’t deny that logic one bit nocal.

I know the AI ducer has 2d, can it be used as the 2d complement to the SS3 ducer?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/07P4...fXdkujuQ#Grant

I assure u, if I could afford a boat...I wouldn’t hesitate. Maybe one day, Lord willing.
    Yes it could. The AI transducer connects at the HDS unit on the sonar plug and the SS3D has its own box and uses an Ethernet cable to connect it. In the settings for sonar you would pick the AI ducer for 2D and you’re good to go.

2. Member
    So does the SS3D greatly improve DI and SS with the HDS Gen 3's over the LSS-2? I still have 2 gen 3 9's at the console and been running the LSS-2.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adventurejack View Post
    So does the SS3D greatly improve DI and SS with the HDS Gen 3's over the LSS-2? I still have 2 gen 3 9's at the console and been running the LSS-2.
    DI No
    SI Yes, but especially for greater clarity at range.

A downside for some used to LSS1 & LSS2 is is that the images produced by SS3D are compressed so for example with modest changes in depth, bottom images are exaggerated in DI (small humps appear much bigger than with LSS2), and with SI the compression makes big fish look way smaller than they appear in LSS2 but the image of the fish (big & small) is more defined in SS3D.

4. Member
    Another question...Is the HDS Carbon that much better than the gen 3 paired with the SS3D? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money. The HDS Live is out of my league money wise even for used units from what I've seen. I mainly use 2 console units to find brushpiles and stake beds for Crappie as well as finding fish on structure. One I have mapping and DI...the other is strictly SI.

5. Member
    Another question...Is the HDS Carbon that much better than the gen 3 paired with the SS3D? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money. The HDS Live is out of my league money wise even for used units from what I've seen. I mainly use 2 console units to find brushpiles and stake beds for Crappie as well as finding fish on structure. One I have mapping and DI...the other is strictly SI.
    Carbon is better with SS3D but also with the LSS2.
    The added bonus of Carbon is that you could also opt for the new AI transducer (not compatible with Gen 3 units) which is either 2 in 1 (DI & SI) or 3 in 1 (DI, SI and traditional 2D). Sorry to add to your possible choice dilemma but AI might be the way to go as it’s DI is as good as SS3D and its SI is better than LSS2 and image wise approaching SS3D quality...it just doesn’t have the same quality over range as the SS3D. A big plus for me is that AI transducers don’t compress the images. They are also about a third of the price of SS3D. If you know what your targets look like on Gen 3 with LSS2 DI & SI, and don’t need to be looking out 150+ feet each side, I’d be spending my money on the Carbon plus AI transducer before the SS3D.
    Check out image comparisons on line though.

6. Member
    Thank you ukesox
    Ok so will the ss3D transducer fit my LSS-2 metal bracket I already have mounted on my boat?

7. Member
    Thank you ukesox
    Ok so will the ss3D transducer fit my LSS-2 metal bracket I already have mounted on my boat?
    Yes.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Yes.
    awesome...thanks

9. Member
    Old thread I know but probably the best I have seen comparing these two. I heard that the SS3D now has the AI technology with the 20.3 software release. Is this true and any comparisons of the two transducers with the latest updates?

10. Member
    All I can say for sure is that software 20.3 works great with my SS3D; image quality is at least as good as any other software version I have run. At one time I understand that Lowrance was getting ready to release a new SS3D but don't know if it was true or only a rumor...
    ciao,
    Marc

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    All I can say for sure is that software 20.3 works great with my SS3D; image quality is at least as good as any other software version I have run. At one time I understand that Lowrance was getting ready to release a new SS3D but don't know if it was true or only a rumor...
    Since last two yrs, no any rumors about ss3d next gen, unfortunatley.

12. Member
    AI is based on the same hardware used in AI, just simplified to keep the cost down so no 3D. The rest is just software and SS 3D has received numerous updates bringing it up to the same level as AI. I don’t expect a new SS 3D unless Lowrance decides to cave in and go to 1200kHz.

I have a new in box 3 in 1 that I was going to swap my SS3D for. But after reading this maybe not. I have Carbons right now. Other than the power consumption decrease I'm better off keeping the SS3D, right?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    I have a new in box 3 in 1 that I was going to swap my SS3D for. But after reading this maybe not. I have Carbons right now. Other than the power consumption decrease I'm better off keeping the SS3D, right?
    In my eyes, yes.

15. Member
    Is it worth ditching 3in1 & finding SS3D box somewhere?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiNuts View Post
    Is it worth ditching 3in1 & finding SS3D box somewhere?
    If you fish saltwater or depend on long range on SideScan, yes. For most others, no.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    If you fish saltwater or depend on long range on SideScan, yes. For most others, no.
    Thank you.

18. Member
    Reviving an old thread..

I'm looking at ordering a new boat. If I order it next month, it's probably 7 months out - so possibly looking at a January delivery.

I currently run SS3D with a Live 16.

If I simply want the best side/down imaging, what should I look at ordering? Would it be smart to order it with no transducers and see if anything new comes out by January? Or is that not at all likely?

If nothing new is coming, would SS3D or 2-in-1 give me the best results with HDS Live units? I don't want to say price doesn't matter, but if I'm getting a new boat I'm going to do it right.

I've read through this entire thread, but I'm curious if anything has changed with more recent software updates.
    2023 Puma STS

19. Member
    Nothing has changed.
    ciao,
    Marc

I run a SS3D on my 2021 boat. I have a 3-1 on my 2016 boat and I think the SS3D performs better than the 3-1 and I’m also running a 16 live. I actually just replaced my SS3D transducer due to a failed element and debated saving a buck going to the 2-1 but after a thread on here asking if the 2-1 and 3-1 were the same and was confirmed on here that the 3-1 and 2-1 are the same I decided to go with the SS3D tranducer again to replace my failed one just because I know the 3-1 on my other boat doesn’t seem as good as my SS3D on my 2021 rig.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678