Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    I think a big part of the difference is the compression that happens on SS3D. Unfortunately scroll speed is not user adjustable on the Lowrance, notice at the beginning of the video, the screen with AI has a relatively flat bottom, and the SS3D has a hump near the center of the screen... presumably that hump has already scrolled off screen on the AI by the time the camera pans over to the display showing SS3D. Likewise during that same transition there are tons of fish seen near the top of the 3D screen, they are just smaller dots, since just the top portion of the screen is represented by the entire area being covered on the AI screen.

Also looks to me like the screen showing 3D is set to a wider range and being compressed horizontally by having that second panel displayed on the right side of the screen. Dont get me wrong I appreciate videos, and I am not advocating for or against either ducer, however, it seems this particular video is not as "apples to apples" as it could be.

Interesting point and observations R2Tracker. Have you installed the latest SS3D and HDS updates (20.0)? Curious if you noticed any change in DS or SS?

2. Member
    I have not wanted to mount an AI transducer on my Ranger. I fish with two tournament partners that have AI on their boats, and it is a big improvement over the LSS-2 and provides very nice images, but I don't see anything that warrants replacing my 3D. More importantly, my 3D provides images that the AI cannot provide (in 3D view). The more I use my 3D view the more I learn about its advantages.

If I was on a tight budget, and needed to buy a system brand new, I would consider the AI. It will do great for 99% of the anglers. But there is no way I would choose AI over the 3D.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumrunner View Post
    Interesting point and observations R2Tracker. Have you installed the latest SS3D and HDS updates (20.0)? Curious if you noticed any change in DS or SS?
    Nope, lake still hard.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Well bloodman has been banned and the last addition to this post was back in Sept. Since the 18.XX updates, we are now up to 20.XX updates so not sure it is relevant to add to this thread. A new one comparing the newest software to current AI would be interesting. For me, 3D is still the best. Don't have an AI on my boat.

NoCAL
    lol...I am back now after having my hand slapped by Al. Anyway, I will be following along here to see what the 20 update did for us. I no longer have my 3D and opted for the 3n1 because of constant contrast setting issues. Not because the 3D did not offer good images but I was having so many issues with constant contrast changes. I also think the 3n1 shows fish better than 3D. A new thread would probably be best to track this.

5. Member
    The difference I see in 18.2 and 18.3 3D software is contrast which is adjustable up or down. I would like to see them compared on a Gen3 unit.

6. Member
    Welcome back bloodman!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumrunner View Post
    Welcome back bloodman!
    Thank you!!!!

Great test and comparison, it also proves that DI just ain’t that good still using AI which is disappointing
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

9. Banned
    Awesome post thanks...my partner runs 3D and consistently sees fish that I don’t ....we both have Lives but I run AI...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    Awesome post thanks...my partner runs 3D and consistently sees fish that I don’t ....we both have Lives but I run AI...
    Thanks Rangerdawg! These are the real world experiences I really want to hear and see.

11. Member
    It appears that in the old school video the 3d software Is quite dated 59.1.72 unless simrad differs from lowrance. There is a lot of clutter in the water column I seem to remember that with old versions.I have both ducers,it's ss3d 18.3-18.3for me!So far but the saga continues!

12. Member
    Wow, I am so thankful I found this thread. I have an HDS 9 Live with the AI ducer on a kayak (BlueSky 360) also with an xi3 troller. I recently purchased the SS3D but have been struggling with mounting the box. I think I’ve decided on placing it in a weather resistant box with the nmea backbone, and adding a point1...the units propensity to flip the bow and stern while spotlocked is irritating.

Anyway, the instructions say something like, since SS3d doesn’t do 2d, the SS3d ducer should be mounted within a foot of the 2d ducer to get the optimal 2d overlay. I don’t have a clue what that actually means. And if I read correctly, earlier in this thread, someone mentioned their 3in1 interfered with their SS3d. I guess I’ll experiment, unless someone wants to chime in.

While I’m no expert, and fwiw, with 800khz SI I’ve never seen fish show up like I’ve seen in the SS3d screen shots, not even close.

As well, I’m still pretty surprised that Lowrance hasn’t made the leap to at least 1.2mhz imaging or higher, especially for shallow (sub 60’) applications.

Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne View Post
    Wow, I am so thankful I found this thread. I have an HDS 9 Live with the AI ducer on a kayak (BlueSky 360) also with an xi3 troller. I recently purchased the SS3D but have been struggling with mounting the box. I think I’ve decided on placing it in a weather resistant box with the nmea backbone, and adding a point1...the units propensity to flip the bow and stern while spotlocked is irritating.

Anyway, the instructions say something like, since SS3d doesn’t do 2d, the SS3d ducer should be mounted within a foot of the 2d ducer to get the optimal 2d overlay. I don’t have a clue what that actually means. And if I read correctly, earlier in this thread, someone mentioned their 3in1 interfered with their SS3d. I guess I’ll experiment, unless someone wants to chime in.

While I’m no expert, and fwiw, with 800khz SI I’ve never seen fish show up like I’ve seen in the SS3d screen shots, not even close.

As well, I’m still pretty surprised that Lowrance hasn’t made the leap to at least 1.2mhz imaging or higher, especially for shallow (sub 60’) applications.
    Mounting 2D near 3D helps the fish reveal overlay on downscan.
    Ive had some great luck seeing fish on my 3n1 in 455. I have both the 3n1 and Hbird G3 mega and the 455 beats the mega half the time for seeing fish. This is because the range is way better and it doesnt have the hot color on the first 50 feet. I believe they made some big improvements in the last few updates on side imaging. I had run the 3d for along time but got rid of it and am more than happy with 3n1.

14. Member
    I should have been clearer, when I say fish, I mean small/large mouth bass. With Lowrance 455 and what I’m assuming is Bird 1200khz, which type of fish are you seeing?

If my assumption about 1.2mhz bird is correct, that makes so little sense. I’m not saying I don’t believe you, but to me it says that Lowrance 800khz is utter garbage...software plays a significant roll in all of this.

15. Member
    I should have been clearer, when I say fish, I mean small/large mouth bass. With Lowrance 455 and what I’m assuming is Bird 1200khz, which type of fish are you seeing?

If my assumption about 1.2mhz bird is correct, that makes so little sense. I’m not saying I don’t believe you, but to me it says that Lowrance 800khz is utter garbage...software plays a significant roll in all of this.
    There is MUCH much more to ultrasound/sonar than just a frequency number. I won't bore everyone with all the physics but realize it is much more than a single number. Yes a higher frequency will have a shorter ultrasound wavelength - which theoretically can allow for higher resolution imaging - but there are so many other factors that weigh in on the final picture. The lowrance 3d structurescan transducer is the size it is for a reason... Software, cpu, driver, transducer design and number of elements, end user/settings, transducer placement, power source, water clarity, depth, range setting - they all play a role. Putting 3d structurescan on my ordered new boat. Each user has their own valid opinions. Would anyone tow their boat with a 450hp BMW M3? Its got 450hp. Frequency is just one number... My 2 cents.

I have tested mega SI, mega+ SI, 360, m360, 3-1 SI, 3d SI, bird DI, lowrance DI, bird 2d, lowrance 2d on my previous boat. They all work. It all depends on what your needs are... I have my opinions but will not start a ford chevy war... they all work. I help a lot of other end users. I would say the most common finding is the end user doesn't know how to optimize the settings/image for the lake/depth they are at. And have seen issues with power and ducer placements too.

16. Member
    I am very impressed with my SS3D down and side scan on a Carbon
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

As I said, I run the Bird mega 1175 and 3n1 455 side by side to compare. Each has their own thing going on and the Bird Mega can be a bit clearer but it is more susceptible to hot areas and of coarse less distance. The fish I see on the mega are clean and sharp but distance is limited. I see the same fish on the 3n1 455 but its easier to read and sees way further. 455 a bit less clear and a touch less contrast separation but very readable and can see fish at a greater distance than Mega. 455 vs 800 is like the mega comparison. I had run the 3D for a few years time and never really saw the fish I do now on the 3n1. I also ran my 3n1 on 800 for a long time before really using the 455 and did not see the fish I do now. Put the 3n1 on 455, 64% contrast and pallet 6. You can see fish of all sizes. Enjoy

18. Member
    Man, for a kayak, AI seems custom made. Locating a place for the Structure module AND having to mount a 2D transducer as well? No thanks. This is one situation where I would pick an AI all day.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

19. Member
    Yeah, I can’t deny that logic one bit nocal.

I know the AI ducer has 2d, can it be used as the 2d complement to the SS3 ducer?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/07P4...fXdkujuQ#Grant

I assure u, if I could afford a boat...I wouldn’t hesitate. Maybe one day, Lord willing.
    Last edited by dtdionne; 10-26-2020 at 09:29 AM.

20. Member
    Great thread! Thanks for all the info

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast