Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I, for one, am not concerned (obsessed?) with perfect 1:1 scale imagery as Fishton seems to be.

I simply want recognizable, interpretable imagery that shows what is there, in as much fine detail as possible, for use when fishing.

Though scroll speed to match boat speed would/will be nice, I am perfectly capable of being aware of how the boat is moving, and how fast, and adjusting my perspective and perception accordingly.
    I tend to agree here. But I do want to see fish!!! I know what a rock looks like, weeds, trees, drop offs, ledges. I dont need to have HD like detail on those but I do need to see fish. Fish Fish Fish That's what I want to see. I want to see the shadow image of fish.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    I noticed that in Fishton's comparison image the SS3D overlay shows 5.6KPH - 6.5KPH (roughly 3.5-4MPH), and it would have been nice to see the SOG overlay on the AI side as well (not that I am suggesting an attempt to skew results).

I also agree sometimes I like the compression to see a lot of data on a slim portion of screen and, other times I think even my 2.5MPH idle speed is a tad too fast for the scroll speed Lowrance has chosen for our SS3D's. Unfortunately the lake I have used mine on does not have beautiful structure like the images in this thread. One of the most notable features I have witnessed was the swath cleared by a Weed Roller, and it amazed me how narrow it was in comparison to how long (in other words the squish or compression was very apparent.

One has to wonder why Lowrance has not given us the ability to adjust the scroll speed, as well as have an "auto" setting which could adjust itself based on SOG.
    What I suspect is the case.... Lowrance is currently processing/displaying the scanned data as fast as the current hardware will allow. Their only option, relative to scroll speed, is to provide the ability to slow it down - which is pointless. Just a guess on my part.

3. Member
    Lowrance has had a tendency to use slightly better hardware then a brand well known for their options for adjusting scanning sonar. Therefore I would guess this is related to something else then hardware. But it is just that, pure guesswork on my part.

Whatever the reason, it is (in my eyes) the second biggest downside to Lowrance. (The first beeing the lack of low-Q 2D-ducers.)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I tend to agree here. But I do want to see fish!!! I know what a rock looks like, weeds, trees, drop offs, ledges. I dont need to have HD like detail on those but I do need to see fish. Fish Fish Fish That's what I want to see. I want to see the shadow image of fish.
    There is a certain validation to seeing fish on sonar, and the ability to see bait fish is just as valuable.

Live Imaging, of course, is even more about seeing fish.

5. Member
    Does anybody else have anymore comparison videos? Currently have 3d with carbons and contemplating switching to the 3-1. We have 3-4 of ice up where I am, so it’ll be a while before I get the chance to compare.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tayzak15 View Post
    Does anybody else have anymore comparison videos? Currently have 3d with carbons and contemplating switching to the 3-1. We have 3-4 of ice up where I am, so it’ll be a while before I get the chance to compare.
    If I were you i wouldn't worry about the transducers just yet. The 3d is still a very capable piece of equipment.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    There is a certain validation to seeing fish on sonar, and the ability to see bait fish is just as valuable.

Live Imaging, of course, is even more about seeing fish.
    I used them side by side a while and would compare images frequently. While I get the concern some have on the slow scroll speed, the SS3D consistently performed better and I have now removed the AI 3in1 and am going to sell it.

John

8. Member
    it (3d) still has the hardware to perform well

9. Member
    I don’t have SS3D so I have a question for you guys running it. You obviously have the ability to run it like structure scan instead of 3D by the images you are showing. Are you guys also running the total scan transducer with that as well or just a traditional 2 D transducer?
    I purchased a 12 live with a 3-1. Would I be able to install the 3D as well to get better fish images? I have two units on my console. A 12 and 7 live. Thanks.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankdi View Post
    I don’t have SS3D so I have a question for you guys running it. You obviously have the ability to run it like structure scan instead of 3D by the images you are showing. Are you guys also running the total scan transducer with that as well or just a traditional 2 D transducer?
    I purchased a 12 live with a 3-1. Would I be able to install the 3D as well to get better fish images? I have two units on my console. A 12 and 7 live. Thanks.
    Following as I am in same boat.
    or adding the box to my 12 live along with the 3Dss help?
    or just wait for a AI 3DSS transducer?
    any links or info from Lowrance on the AI 3D transducer ?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E73bass View Post
    Following as I am in same boat.
    or adding the box to my 12 live along with the 3Dss help?
    or just wait for a AI 3DSS transducer?
    any links or info from Lowrance on the AI 3D transducer ?
    I am now back to running a standard 2D transducer with the SS3D transducer. Between the two of these I get sonar, downscan, sidescan and 3D (although I hate 3D view). Personally, I feel the downscan and sidescan are better quality with the 18.3 upgrade on the SS3D than on the AI 3in1. It shows stronger shadows and isolates small items better - like fish and rubble.

Running both the AI 3in1 and the SS3D together caused interference when they were even reasonably close on the back of the boat. I wouldn't recommend it - I had to start and stop sonar as I would compare them.

If you already have the AI 3in1, I wouldn't go out and buy the SS3D now unless you could get a heck of a deal. I would just wait for the AI SS3D unit coming out.

Hope this helps.

John

12. Member
    Very well done.. Thanks for taking the time and sharing

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhea View Post
    I am now back to running a standard 2D transducer with the SS3D transducer. Between the two of these I get sonar, downscan, sidescan and 3D (although I hate 3D view). Personally, I feel the downscan and sidescan are better quality with the 18.3 upgrade on the SS3D than on the AI 3in1. It shows stronger shadows and isolates small items better - like fish and rubble.

Running both the AI 3in1 and the SS3D together caused interference when they were even reasonably close on the back of the boat. I wouldn't recommend it - I had to start and stop sonar as I would compare them.

If you already have the AI 3in1, I wouldn't go out and buy the SS3D now unless you could get a heck of a deal. I would just wait for the AI SS3D unit coming out.

Hope this helps.

John
    This
    ciao,
    Marc

14. Member
    Not to hijack this thread but I desperately need the older version of software that will allow me to use the 3D module on my gen 2 touch, like a dummy I upgraded to the latest and now I am hosed.

any help would be much appreciated

Great post! Thanks!
    ~ JG

DD214 Alumni - July 2022 -

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhea View Post

Hope this helps.

John

First, thank you very much for this great information and real world apples to apples comparison! This is great!

Has anyone heard anything regarding release date for AI SS3D? Seems like there is little to no conversation or advertising about it.

Also, is there any belief to the thought that software updates could bring the AI 3in1 performance and range up to par with the SS3D, or is the hardware inferior, making this impossible?

17. Member
    I don't understand what a SS3D AI traducer should be. SS3D is already more advanced and better than AI. Ai is actually a subset of SS3D.

18. Member
    I'm hoping it will be SS3D on steroids! :)

Has anyone heard when the new AI 3D transducer will be released?

We're trying to get the AI 3n1 updates first and then the Lives and then the Livesight and then the trolling motor done first....I think the plate is running out of room.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast