Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BASSCAT TO PHOENIX

HAS ANYONE HAD A BASSCAT AND CHANGED TO A PHOENIX JUST WONDERING WHAT WERE THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE---LIKES OR DISLIKES

2. Member
    The ride did it for me. My Phoenix 819 much more stable and smooth platform from a Pantera IV.

I also didn’t care for the bare fiberglass compartments on Bass Cat but that’s just a personal preference.

3. Member
    WHAT ABOUT THE BUILD QUALITY

I own a BCB Cougar. I have ridden in the big Phoenix (921 IIRC). They are pretty darn close. Both boats drove and rode equally well. Both are built well and have awesome customer service. The holeshot is better on the Phoenix. I like the forward trolling motor of the BCB.

Phoenix is a great boat builder but I have two dislikes of them. One is all the plastic trim around the consoles. That stuff, fades cracks and looks cheap after several years, especially down south. The biggest concern for me is the quality of gelcoat used and does it prevent hull blisters. I know BCB uses a vinylester resin that prevents hull blisters. They started using it with model year 2015. I do not know if Phoenix uses it also. You do nor hear about stress cracks or spiderwebbing with either boat.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Had a puma and now a 2018 920. Love the Phoenix but basscat is a better company in my opinion and I miss that. Also BCB has better carpet and a much better trailer, much better! Saying that I went with a 920 cause I like the layout better and so far no regrets but I suspect next boat I will go back to BCB
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

6. Member
    Friend just went from a basscat to phoenix, i rode in both, phoenix has a better hole shot, is easier to drive on top end and has a better ride. Also like the deck space and layout better.Both of our opinions.

7. Member
    I like the ride and layout of the Phoenix. I like the carpet and trailer of the Basscat way better than the Phoenix. It just depends on what you’re looking for. Can’t go wrong either way.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

8. Member
    I just sold my 17jag and my 21 phx will be here early march

9. Member
    I came from a Ranger to a Phoenix. Before I changed, I crawled thru everything in my region, before settling on the Phoenix. Don't get me wrong both are great boats but it came down to the following.
    The Phoenix dealer, Pirate Cove Marina is absolutely top notch and I trust their service team and owner. Second, I really did not like the crazy shaped BC lids, just not for me. I noticed some loose screws in the BC but it was not a show stopper for me. I also liked the storage better in the Phoenix over the BC, but again just a preference thing. Some prefer the BC trailer but so far I have had no issues with the Phoenix trailers and compared to my Ranger its easier to load. I also did not like how the BC was wired seemed messy to me. But again its only my personal take. Get what makes you happy and enjoy to the fullest
    Risen From The Ashes!!

10. Member
    I’ve had a Bass Cat, Skeeter and now a Phoenix. Between the Cat and the Phoenix they are both well built boats with great customer service. They both use premium materials. I do like the Phoenix has a more traditional layout with some neat added features. Can’t go wrong with either one.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

11. Member
    I went from a Sabre FTD to a 618 Pro. Everyone raves about BCB trailers but mine had a bent axle from the factory and the swing tongue didn’t fit right and rubbed the gel coat off the step. The ride in my 618 is much better. To be fair, it is wider and 10” longer, so probably a closer comparison to a PII. My biggest complaint about my BassCat was that the compartments, especially the rod box, always smelled like gas. I couldn’t get past that. Like others have said, the Phoenix carpet isn’t as nice. That is the only advantage I’ll give to BCB after owning both models. Don’t fall prey to the “vinyl resin” propaganda. It is a way for BCB to upcharge the premium models. If it was that superior and created a competitive advantage they would use it on all the boats.

12. Member
    JUST WONDERING WHAT IS WRONG WITH PHOENIX CARPET QUALITY

Quote Originally Posted by boomow610 View Post
    Don’t fall prey to the “vinyl resin” propaganda. It is a way for BCB to upcharge the premium models. If it was that superior and created a competitive advantage they would use it on all the boats.
    Explain “propaganda” as in intentionally misleading your customers. I don’t believe BCB (or Phoenix) would ever do that. The resin doesn’t give any competitive advantage, it is touted as a quality and longevity advantage. I do not know if it works but I believe BCB until proven otherwise. I also believe other makers really don’t care about it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsmiley View Post
    JUST WONDERING WHAT IS WRONG WITH PHOENIX CARPET QUALITY
    It's like 16 or 18oz I think where the cats have 24oz.

15. Member
    . "If it was that superior and created a competitive advantage they would use it on all the boats.[/QUOTE]

not if they are hitting a certain price point to maintain a certain margin! less expensive resin make the boat less pricey to build which can be sold cheaper and still have a fair margin on it.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    Phoenix uses 18 ounce carpet, I believe. Nitro, Basscat, and Ranger (and likely others) all use 24 (at least in the models I looked at).
    I assume Phoenix will make changes to their carpet in the near future.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

17. Member
    the vinyl ester resin basscat uses will prevent hull blistering all boats get blisters unless you run gator bak bunk covers which I run my trailer, I yet to see a basscat with blisters, they all (boat builders) went to government compliant resins to be eco safe back in the day ever since then we started seeing blisters.

18. Member
    Just to be clear, are yall saying the cats wont get blisters? I dont think I've ever seen them claim that. All I've seen is that the barrier coat will help stop them but no promise it will. Ranger uses it where they sit on the bunks

19. Member
    Phoenix uses AME resin which is a vinyl ester resin.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

Quote Originally Posted by HTC33 View Post
    Phoenix uses 18 ounce carpet, I believe. Nitro, Basscat, and Ranger (and likely others) all use 24 (at least in the models I looked at).
    I assume Phoenix will make changes to their carpet in the near future.
    One positive of the thinner carpet is that it does dry faster and retains less water in rain. Another member here mentioned that and although I preferred the carpet in my Skeeter he was right about that.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast