Best 4 blade prop for 2001 196 Champion Elite

Have a 25p 4 blade now, new batteries= more weight and my hole shot is bad. Was told to go to a lower pitch like a 24p. Any advice?

2. Member
    Which 4 blade do you currently have?
    What motor?
    What is the current WOT RPM?

3. Member
    Its a Mercury 4 blade 25p prop with vent plugs. The guy I bought it from, years ago told me when the prop was sent in to be reworked and polished, that the marking on the outside of the prop were gone when he got it back? Anyway, the motor is a 200 Opti max with a 8in slidemaster jackplate. WOT is 5700 rpms. After adding some heavy AGM batterys my holeshot is suffering. Was told at the ISE show to go to a 24p prop.

4. Member
    Still need to know the model of the 4 blade prop...

5. Member
    Ok, will do some research. Thank you Savage.

6. Banned
    Prob a trophy, my bud ran my Bravo xs 24 on his 196 and my 24 tempest. He liked the way the bravo felt and it was only 1 mph slower than the tempest. I’ve been tempted to buy another fury4 to run on his and my boat, but I’m tired of looking for the unicorn.

7. Member
    grout-scout! I'm thinking you are correct on it being a Trophy. So you like the Fury prop I'm guessing? Do you think it will help with my holeshot?

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    grout-scout! I'm thinking you are correct on it being a Trophy. So you like the Fury prop I'm guessing? Do you think it will help with my holeshot?

I have a 198, but it’s somewhat similar to yours with a little extra hp.

When I briefly owned a fury 4 it had an awesome hole shot and when I ran empty it was the fastest of all my props; but loaded heavy it hit the wall and lost speed badly. I sold it and bought the bravo xs.

Bravo runs completely different all the way around, I didn’t like it and I’m in the minority not liking it. My buddy absolutely loves it.

I went back to my tempest, holeshots not as quick as my fury4 or bravo were; but my boat handles better with it.

I ran 2 trophies and both had fantastic holeshot and handling, but the speed was awful. They weren’t new props, so there could have been something off with them.

I wish I still had the fury4 because I’d like to experiment with it again.

Does your 196 feel like it takes forever to break over? My buds is pretty bad (the bravo helped some), but other than that I think I like his boat more than mine.

9. Member
    Saying break over, are you saying getting on plane? Its not too bad, but way worse since I've added the extra weight of the Northstar batteries.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Saying break over, are you saying getting on plane? Its not too bad, but way worse since I've added the extra weight of the Northstar batteries.

Yes sir, when my buddy drops the hammer the bow rises to the sky and it takes a good 5 seconds to get her to drop back down and work it’s way onto plane.

He had a Bailey foil on it for awhile, but it didn’t help any.

I ran a 25" TR04 on mine for a long time. When measured, it was actually closer to 26" and I was about 600 RPM off the limiter. So, I got a 25" Razor 4 XL and I'm not finished testing. Initial data seems like it's still a little stiff, and I will likely be selling it and buying a 24" Razor from Croxton or a 24' Bravo XS which I'd send to Croxton to have B&B and extra PVS holes installed in.

12. Member
    I run a 23p Razor 4xl on my 196. Experimented with just about every prop made and settled on the 4xl. Been running it for a couple of years now, and don't see myself running anything else.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

13. Member
    If you have a jackplate try raising motor one notch and see if it helps, since you have added some weight to the back of the boat motor sits lower now in the water and raising motor a little may help.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc