Moving to Alabama

Pretty good chance I will be getting relocated for work near Lewis Smith lake / jasper area.

I have never spent much time in Alabama.

Any recommendations on areas to start looking where to live/ buy around there? I would prefer a man cave on the lake. Is one area better to look at than another?

Is there a web page with information on the tournament scene in Alabama i can check out?

I understand the fishing is decent in Alabama?

2. Member

Re: Moving to Alabama (Hot Rod Johnson)

Of all the places they could relocate you too they put you on the dead sea, somebody has told you wrong. The fishing in Alabama is great!!! You'll have to flip a coin to decide where you want to fish because the choices are endless. Jasper area would be good, put's you with-in range to some great fishing. Cant give you info on your questions but i beleive your gonna be happy here if you fish and hunt.

Welcome to Alabama!!

I don't know anything about the area you'll be living at, but here's a site that list some of the tournaments on Alabama lakes.

http://www.classicbass.com/AL/AL2010Novbu.htm

.....................Shoofly...............................
    Eddie Jernigan - Montgomery, Alabama
    Triton TR20XDC / Mercury Optimax 225

4. Member

Re: Moving to Alabama (Shoofly)

Thanks guys, is there a tournament series that is better than others / more competitive in this part of the country? I dont know anyone down there so I will probably be looking for draw tournaments fishing as a boater.

5. Member

Bassmaster weekend series, BFLs, and ABA draw trails are plenty throughout upper alabama. Smith lake has alot of tournaments as well a summertime night tournaments. From Jasper you can be on many excellent bodies of water within an hours drive. Though smith lake will be closest. Good spotted bass fishery though the slot limit can be tough from time to time. Excellent lake for shaky head fishing an serious schoolers with top water. Make sure your get over to Neely Henry, Logan martin, and Lay Lake to fish for some mean coosa river spotted bass.

And dont overlook Pickwick...one of the best smallmouth fisheries in the entire south...has good largemouth too! Wilson and wheeler are awesome as well....ah hell any of the lakes up there are awesome. Wish i lived about 4 hours north of here!

6. Banned

Smith Lake...shakey heads in 30-40 ft of water & alot of prayer.

Re: Moving to Alabama (JayLaw)

The same here Jason! Fishing down here isn't that great for big fish.

I fish because my wife hates the outdoors! Thomass
    88 201 Pro Stratos/200 Rude

8. Member

Re: Moving to Alabama (warcry)

Don't let these guys scare you, Smith lake is an fun lake to fish. I have been tourney fishing this lake for over 20 years. Its not as tough as they are saying. Its just like any other lake, you have fish it a few times to figure things out. Get ready to spend some cash if you want a house on the lake though.

Most all of the areas around Smith Lake are nice as far as living. If you live on the Jasper side you will also be close to the Warrior River which is great fishing. Bankhead Lake (or simply the river to locals) will be the closest section of the Warrior River to Jasper and can offer you just about type of structure and condition that you like to fish. Below the lock and still not too far from Jasper is the Holt Lake section of the Warrior, this is best kept secret for huge spots in Alabama IMO. If you choose to live on the Cullman side of Smith Lake, you wont have too bad of a ride to Guntersville, Wheeler, or even the upper Coosa chain (Neely Henry and Logan Martin). On the Winston County side of Smith Lake, you aren't to terribly far from Pickwick, Wilson, or Wheeler. Any way you look at it you can have some great fishing near by.

10. Member

Re: Moving to Alabama (bustasack)

Depending on where you live now a place on Smith may not be that much of an increase. Where is wa. Washington? Typical house there might be in the upper 200's or more....

Smith has some great fishing just gonna take some time to figure it out. There are some REALLY good spotted bass up there and some monster striped bass also if your into to that. One trip catching them and you'll be hooked! Also the lake is just beautiful. Deep and clear, rocky, and nice scenery. Also good place to live because its out kindof in the country and you don't have to worry about the city trash that lives elsewhere.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

11. Member

Re: Moving to Alabama (sbg)

Thanks for the info guys that really helps. I will have more questions once I decide to pull the trigger this week.

Yes Wa is Washington been living here for 4 years catching monster smallmouth on the Columbia river. Grew up in Southern Missouri.

12. Member

I would opt to live in the Cullman area near Smith Lake, 30 minutes to Wheeler and 1 hr to Guntersville. Also Pickwick, Logan Martin, Lay, Mitchell and Jordon are all easy trips from there. The city of Cullman finally just voted to go wet!

Re: Moving to Alabama (flyingwillie)

Hey you will like it here. I used to live in Seattle for many years, actually Federal Way and Auburn, WA. Used to duck/pheasant hunt in the "pot Holes" and around and on the columbia! Smith can be tough, But Guntersville and Wilson and Pickwick arent too far and WELL worth the drive!!! Pickwick and Wilson have a NICE brown fish population!!!
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

14. Member

Re: Moving to Alabama (Kerry201pro)

I am officially heading to Alabama. Probably be a month before I get transferred but really excited about it.

They want me to live near Jasper.

I don't know anyone in Alabama so if you guys can recommend any competitive clubs let me know. Or if you see a white with black stripped Bass Cat Puma FTD with a 250 SHO come by and say Hi.

Aaron

15. Member
    I hope to get to fish Smith lake some this next year.Fished it one time about 30 yrs ago and didnt know where to go.Not that i do now but i dont get in too much of a hurry anymore.Strange how that works out..lol I am about 45 min from there..
    Last edited by h2chuck; 12-19-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: correction
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS

16. Dogfish_Jones
    Dang this thread is over 10 years old!

17. Member
    The dude may be retired by now.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

18. Member
    A lot has changed in 10 years on Guntersville, starting with the fishing pressure and aquatic. Smith has gotten much better.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    A lot has changed in 10 years on Guntersville, starting with the fishing pressure and aquatic. Smith has gotten much better.
    This raises an interesting question to me. How is the fishing in each N AL lake today compared to a decade ago? I'm curious what your thoughts are.

20. Dogfish_Jones
    To me Guntersville has went down. I’m sure it’s because of the amount of pressure put on the lake. It’s still a good lake but you have to wait your turn at some of the more productive areas.
    I remember a couple years ago when it was like June or July, there had to be close to 100 boats lined up on this one long section of the channel ledge where everyone was fishing. When one boat moved out another one came sliding in. Boats were like 30’ apart for a good 1/2 mile.
    Browns creek gets hammered from the bridge, southward I usually stay away from that area when I’m fishing there.