Thread: Santee Cooper

Santee Cooper

Hello everyone. ..was just wondering what the condition of santee cooper is looking like? I'll be there in a few weeks for a tournament, and I haven't been there in many years (and it was in the fall). Any tips or areas to look at would greatly be appreciated!! If you prefer to pm me, that's perfectly fine and anything you share will be kept confidential. Thanks so much in advance!

2. I'm your Huckleberry Chuck D's Avatar
    Cold n muddy at the moment but warming this weekend and next week. Fish “should” start staging/moving up. Water temps in the low 50’s right now.

3. Member
    Water has jumped from 49-50 up to 58 as of yesterday. Things are going to get real good in a few days, if not already.

4. Member
    Thanks for the updates fellas! I'll be there in 2 weeks amd can't wait! I've heard in the past that a spinnerbait is a staple there..? What's your favorite color and blade combinations ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.E View Post
    Thanks for the updates fellas! I'll be there in 2 weeks amd can't wait! I've heard in the past that a spinnerbait is a staple there..? What's your favorite color and blade combinations ?
    Mike,just to let you know that you can"t fish anything to the left of Jacks Creek Marina out to the start of Stevens Creek.It is a federal refuge that want open up until March 1st.It is posted with signs that say area closed from Nov. 1 until March 1st.There are areas on the refuge where the signs don"t have dates on them,you can fish these areas.You are also required to have a federal brochure(rules) that you read & sign, on your boat when fishing anywhere on the federal refuge.If Carolina King does not have them,you can pick one up over at Jacks Creek Marina.The state DNR does not check for the brochure,only the federal people check for it.Hope you have a great trip.
    Last edited by santee bass; 02-11-2019 at 08:23 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    Mike,just to let you know that you can"t fish anything to the left of Jacks Creek Marina out to the start of Stevens Creek.It is a federal refuge that want open up until March 1st.It is posted with signs that say area closed from Nov. 1 until March 1st.There are areas on the refuge where the signs don"t have dates on them,you can fish these areas.You are also required to have a federal brochure(rules) that you read & sign, on your boat when fishing anywhere on the federal refuge.If Carolina King does not have them,you can pick one up over at Jacks Creek Marina.The state DNR does not check for the brochure,only the federal people check for it.Hope you have a great trip.

or he can print one off he SNWR website by licking below

https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pdf/re...ge-fishing.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BWQK View Post
    or he can print one off he SNWR website by licking below

https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pdf/re...ge-fishing.pdf
    I will pass on the "licking".

8. Member
    Are there any off limit areas in Eutaw creek? Also can anyone let me know the water temp and clarity is looking like. Coming into town Friday morning camping at Bells for the weekend.
    2011 21xrd
    2011 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by cn8165 View Post
    Are there any off limit areas in Eutaw creek? Also can anyone let me know the water temp and clarity is looking like. Coming into town Friday morning camping at Bells for the weekend.
    when you go out of the creek from Bell’s,the buoys you pass are no wake buoys.When you get to the point where you have to go to the right,the buoys mark a state refuge boundary that is closed until March 1st.Fish left of these markers & also,from the point mentioned above,don’t run your boat unless you know how to run it.There are some big stumps going out to the main lake.The water in the creek around Bells should look good & get more stained as you go out toward the main lake.Not sure about water temps,have not been over there this year yet.
    Last edited by santee bass; 02-12-2019 at 06:52 PM.

10. Member
    Inky have you fished other parts of Marion yet?

Not this year,but the time is getting close.One thing about these lakes.There is very little to no thermocline,so some fish stay shallow all year.They should be cruising now,then some staging & then bang,on the bed.All we need is more warming temps.

12. Member
    when you go out of the creek from Bell’s,the buoys you pass are no wake buoys.When you get to the point where you have to go to the right,the buoys mark a state refuge boundary that is closed until March 1st.
    Actually The WMA at Eutawville(aka Santee WMA) opens up February 8th,....so it's open now. The same goes for Sandy Beach in Lake Moultrie. They are State Waterfowl areas, unlike the SNWR.

The SNWR waterfowl units,..Jacks Creek, Cow Pasture, and Black Bottom are closed until March1st.

Quote Originally Posted by BWQK View Post
    Actually The WMA at Eutawville(aka Santee WMA) opens up February 8th,....so it's open now. The same goes for Sandy Beach in Lake Moultrie. They are State Waterfowl areas, unlike the SNWR.

The SNWR waterfowl units,..Jacks Creek, Cow Pasture, and Black Bottom are closed until March1st.
    My mistake,I don"t get over in those areas this early in the year.
    Last edited by santee bass; 02-14-2019 at 02:01 PM.

14. Member
    Not this year,but the time is getting close.One thing about these lakes.There is very little to no thermocline,so some fish stay shallow all year.They should be cruising now,then some staging & then bang,on the bed.All we need is more warming temps.
    My brother and I are coming to fish with you the first week of March.....sounds like we might hit it at a good time!

15. I'm your Huckleberry Chuck D's Avatar
    Bring yer M/H spinning rods, braid to floro leader, plenty of Senkos, and 5/0 EWG's, they'll be pinned up against the "right" Cypress trees for sure by then. Skip em and haul em in! Can't wait for the topwater bite down in the hatchery over the millions of stumps that place holds. I'm gonna throw my arm off up in that place and probably snare a gator or 3 doing it. Bring em on!

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    My brother and I are coming to fish with you the first week of March.....sounds like we might hit it at a good time!
    Come on down,I look forward to it!