Thread: Ned Rig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ned Rig

Part of me feels like it's nothing special, while another part of me feels like I'm missing out. Saw a video where a guy was talking about its gliding action, and it got me to thinking about the shape of the baits guys are using. I'd tried a few senkos just cut down some and wasn't getting anything. Was at an outdoor show today and picked up a few ned specific baits, with that sort of flat, flared out tail to it. Is this all that I've been missing? Or is this really just a pared down shaky head?
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

I use Z-Man Zinkers for my Nedding. Cut them in half, glue them on the head. Elaztech has a lot of motion to it, minimal rod shaking will really get that stuff going. Senkos just don't work as well, at least for me. I'm pretty much a cold water Ned fisherman, love fishing them in the winter down here.

3. Member
    David,trust me and use it!
    Red Sox in 6!

4. Banned
    Get the real thing and have fun!

5. Member
    Z-Man baits are also supposed to float leaving the tail off the bottom where a Senko settles to the bottom. Go do a search on You-Tube, there are plenty of videos available and some provide an underwater view of the bait.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

6. Member
    I agree it looks like nothing but man does it catch fish. I use the zman trd. Love it.

7. Member
    I mostly use the TRD myself.

8. Member
    It's a no feel technique, if the head is heavy enough to feel, lighten up. 80% of the people on this sight that think they are Ned Rigging are just throwing a small shakeyhead.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    It's a no feel technique, if the head is heavy enough to feel, lighten up. 80% of the people on this sight that think they are Ned Rigging are just throwing a small shakeyhead.
    I agree with this. Most of the fish I catch, the bait is just gliding. Not actually fishing it on the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Yeah, I had a feeling it was something like that. Gonna have to give it more of a chance this year.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

11. Member
    I got hooked on it two years ago. On oneida some of my best days were just reeling a Ned rig straight in with no pops and shakes. Lately have been fishing where once it hits bottom just lift and let it pedulate back down to the bottom, not shaking the rod at all. The thing is, every person is going to fish it different and do what works for them. Some fish it like a shakey head, some hop it, and others let it glide. Just because it was designed for a glide doesn’t mean that it has to be fished that way and everyway else is wrong. It’s like drop shotting, some people shake the rod like they are having a seizure, when it’s actually meant to be a do nothing technique
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    so what size ned head would you use in targeting 8-12'??

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    so what size ned head would you use in targeting 8-12'??
    1/16 or 3/32 with wind.

14. Member
    I wasn't (and still not) a fan of the Ned rig. Not because it doesn't work, but because I don't like fishing THAT light of line. Most guys I know use 4-6lb line and 1/20-1/10oz heads.

I have 1/6oz heads but haven't used them yet. Have them for the big TRD.

I use mostly the 1/10 and 1/15oz heads in 1-20' of water, with the Zman TRD, TRD CrawZ and TRD TubeZ. By far, I've had my best day with the TRD CrawZ. The key is finding a buoyant plastic. I have a couple plastic stick baits that float that I haven't tried yet.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

The above has nailed it already. I do have a few comments.

First, I definitely agree with those who've said it's not a "feel" technique. If you fish it with something heavy enough to count rocks, then you're fishing a shakey head. That's not to say it won't work - clearly it does, and a shakey head catches fish everywhere anyhow - but the Ned rig is about letting the bait do the work.

Second, I agree that using a plastic that floats is a really big deal. If you're bored, check out Z-Man's YouTube page. I know this sounds a little ridiculous as of course a company is going to offer a sales pitch, but in this case I think it's useful. They do a ton of side-by-side comparisons of common baits people stick on Ned rigs, the cut-in-half Senko being the first one they did. It becomes extremely obvious right away why you want to use a bouyant plastic. The Z-Man stuff sells itself from there due to its durability in my opinion, but it's only an opinion.

Finally, while I agree that it's sort of a boring technique as it's a lot of basically "doing nothing" (basically, I know there can be more to it) and there's not even the feeling around for bottom composition or cover to keep you interested, I disagree with the need to use outrageously light line. I use 7 lb Sniper on a 10-15 lb braid mainline which is the same as I'd use on a drop shot. While I agree that this is light line, it's not 4 lb or anything like that. I definitely favor the 1/16 heads when actually Ned rigging whenever possible, and definitely draw a distinction between doing that and what people in MN would call "jig worming" which involves using the same style head but in a heavier weight with a bigger hook.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

16. Member
    For those using it as a search rig - Are you just casting and waiting until it gets close to the bottom then reeling up and casting again as your boat moves along?

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    For those using it as a search rig - Are you just casting and waiting until it gets close to the bottom then reeling up and casting again as your boat moves along?
    I cast it out, and let it fall to the bottom on slack line. Once it hits the bottom I pull just a little slack out. If I feel any resistance I set the hook, if I dont I "pop it" off the bottom and let it fall on slack line then repeat. 8 to 9 times out of 10 I never feel the fish hit it. I also use a light braid, and if the water is clear I have a fc leader. It also should be known I have custom heads made with a heavier hook. Even with the heavier hook I do not set the hook very hard.

The Roboworm brand of Ned thingy works real well and lasts nicely. I got some Z-man Ned things and haven't used them yet. Experimenting with jigheads also, and like the Owner "blockhead", Gopher, and still have some more to test. I think the floating bait is crucial...some of the lighter stick baits will work a lot better than a GYCB Senko.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

19. Dogfish_Jones
    I have caught fish using the Ned Rig swimming it, hopping it, dragging it and other ways I'm sure. The point here is the Ned Rig WILL catch you fish.
    The Ned Rig is my go to bait when I am needing to finish out my limit for the day. Now.....I have yet to catch that 5+ pounder on one and that might be the only down side to using this bait. Number wise, you will catch a good number of fish on it.
    I tend to agree most fish it as a shakey head, nothing wrong it that but I think this bait lends itself into doing that. I find I have caught most by dragging it and not hopping it. I call it the two tap bait, two taps and I am setting the hook in a side ways set. You will lose fish setting it by coming straight up with your hookset. I fact, its not really even a hook set, the hook is set when you finish your sweeping action.

Zinker or senko with a 1/8 nail weight in the nose. A 1/0 wacky worm hook set about 1/3 of the baits length from the tail on 8 lb line 20 to 50 ft deep this time year in the reservoirs near me in Ca. Zinkers hold up a lot better and seem to get bit a little better as well. If you are getting small ones at 20 ft, drop it to 30 ft. or more. Expect fewer bites but more weight. I have caught spots on lake Shasta as deep as 110 ft in the middle of winter. Trust your electronics
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast