Blaming it on the Full Moon

I know fishing anywhere this time of year can be tough but can't wait for warmer temps...LOL Last 3 trips hardly a nibble or fish in two different lakes (Perris, DVL) so must be the full moon.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

2. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    I know fishing anywhere this time of year can be tough but can't wait for warmer temps...LOL Last 3 trips hardly a nibble or fish in two different lakes (Perris, DVL) so must be the full moon.
    I feel ya man, i find myself struggling the most during these months. Gotta practice the deeper finesse..
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

Its slow but one of the best times of year to fish. DVL like most lakes the fish move deep. 30 to 50 ft. Carolinia rig with a creature bait slowly moving all the bottom will catch fish. Ice jigs work great if you find active fish deep on the sonar. Ned rig will get them as well.
    I may trailer down this spring to fish DVL. I used live 4 miles from the ramp.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

It's slooooooooooow all over. I found that just simply dragging a bait in 25-30' of water. Little to no movement works. I could knit a sweater if I knew how while dragging my bait.

I like using drop shot roboworms and ned rigs.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

5. Member
    I feel you. My last 2 trips out (Perris & Puddingstone) not even a single hit. 8+ hours at each lake. Perris I did a lot of sonar recording for my private C-Maps map. Didn't see any groups of fish. Puddingstone water was very high, muddy and a full moon. January is tough and I tend to focus on trophy fish/big baits so it's not to surprising to get skunked. I figure if I'm going to get skunked, it might as well be from targeting big fish. But things should pick up soon.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

We were at DVL this past Saturday, forecast was for overcast skies and high winds with gusts to 25mph. No such luck, it was glass calm and bluebird skies up until about the last hour of allowable time on the water. We only managed 3 decent fish all day, nothing to write home about but according to the lake staff taking metrics at the end of the day, it was tough all around. The weekend before, we were at another SoCal reservoir and the fish there were already staging, we managed to get close to a couple keeper stringers but again, nothing huge. If not for the rain later this week, I’d swear there’d be bedfish at that lake this weekend!

We fished Otay the following day and had better luck numbers-wise, and a few nice keeper sized fish thrown in.

Supposed to hit Perris this weekend, but based on all the reports of tough fishing and the rain, we may just foregothe trip. Once the weather stabilized and we get consistent warm days, our lakes are going to go off!

We're in for a few weeks of epic fishing soon...the rain, steady temps, and water temps on the rise we're due.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

8. Member
    DVL was tough for me last Saturday too. But Perris has been ok for me, Sunday I had 2 fish about 3.5lbs and 2 smaller 14" fish. The only way I have been able to catch them though is dead sticking a drop shot in about 35' of water.