Passenger Tire on boat trailer

I figured out what size tire I would need if I wanted to run a 15 in tire and keep the same dimensions. Currently have a 175/80/13 and need to go with a 175/65/15. Height is the same, width, rotation speed also. That being said I am unable to find a LT/ST in this size, I am only able to find passenger car tires. I have a little 17ft G3 aluminum boat. I see a few people with larder boats running 20's with low profile wheels and just wanted to see if I would be good to go as well.

Thank you

2. Member

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Passenger car tires are fine (you wouldnt want a LT tire anyway) the main thing you need to look for in the tire is the load rating. If the load rating of the tire you want to buy is very close, the same, or exceeds your current tire then you are good to go. Try to find your new tire size in a XL. (Xtra load)

4. Member
    Current tire I have max load is 1360 lbs. I can get a passenger tire with a max load of 1235 lbs. My boat loaded down with gear and motor is 1200 lbs. Do you think I will be alright?
    Last edited by G3Ray; 01-26-2019 at 06:26 PM.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Not a question I'm qualified nor would wanna answer do to liability. Only you can make that choice.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Ray View Post
    Current tire I have max load is 1360 lbs. I can get a passenger tire with a max load of 1235 lbs. My boat loaded down with gear and motor is 1200 lbs. Do you think I will be alright?
    Probably, since two tires gives you a capacity of 1470lbs. Are you counting trailer weight?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    I was not counting the weight of the trailer. I mean people are rolling around with 20's on their ranger trailers. Surely 15's will be fine.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Not a question I'm qualified nor would wanna answer do to liability. Only you can make that choice.
    Fair answer.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I was not counting the weight of the trailer. I mean people are rolling around with 20's on their ranger trailers. Surely 15's will be fine.
    big difference with a tandem vs a single axle keep that in mind, most of the guys running 17 or larger are on tandem's (big difference in weight distribution. However I went from 15 to 17 on my single axle no issues 3 years.

10. Member
    2470 lbs I think
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Probably, since two tires gives you a capacity of 1470lbs. Are you counting trailer weight?

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    2470 lbs I think
    Math is hard
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    big difference with a tandem vs a single axle keep that in mind, most of the guys running 17 or larger are on tandem's (big difference in weight distribution. However I went from 15 to 17 on my single axle no issues 3 years.
    Sir, is your 17in wheel on a dedicated trailer tire? If I go anything above a 175 on a 14 or 15 in wheel I am stuck to choose from a passenger tire.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Sir, is your 17in wheel on a dedicated trailer tire? If I go anything above a 175 on a 14 or 15 in wheel I am stuck to choose from a passenger tire.
    no sir an xtra load passanger tire Kumho esta 4x III or something like that

14. Member
    no sir an xtra load passanger tire Kumho esta 4x III or something like that
    Ok, that makes me feel better.

15. Member
    Find a set of tires that you think will work then get with the manufacturer of the tire and ask them if they will work for your boat trailer. Then go from there. That way you know you are getting advice from the "horses mouth".

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Good luck getting a "tire manufacturer" to tell you there "passenger car tire" is going to "work" or be "ok" on your trailer application. Due to liability they would have to be a "horses ass" to tell you to use it for anything other then it's designed
    use.