Thread: 300R oil change

300R oil change

I read the manual and it says to change the oil at 100 hours. I have seen people talking about a 20 hour change. My 300R (1E080626) is quickly approaching 20 hours now. Is the 20 hour change needed?

2. Member
    Absolutely Needed? No. Recommended by most technicians (including myself) as an investment toward a long and trouble free life for your outboard? Yes.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

3. Member
    I did a 20 hour on mine......cheap money spent on thinking for long term good service.

4. Member
    Thanks guys, looks like I’ll be changing the oil ASAP

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And don't sweat an hour (or 5) on either side of that 20 mark. Main idea is to get the oil and filter than ran through break-in out of and off the engine, then start with a clean/fresh filter and oil.

Also recommend gear lube at the same time (High Performance Lube).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    And don't sweat an hour (or 5) on either side of that 20 mark. Main idea is to get the oil and filter than ran through break-in out of and off the engine, then start with a clean/fresh filter and oil.

Also recommend gear lube at the same time (High Performance Lube).
    Don can you just tell me exactly what I need to get and I’ll get it all ordered from you

7. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by vjohn05 View Post
    I read the manual and it says to change the oil at 100 hours. I have seen people talking about a 20 hour change. My 300R (1E080626) is quickly approaching 20 hours now. Is the 20 hour change needed?
    Mercury tells you in multiple places 100 hours. Manual. On the engine decal. On the website. They are the ones warranting your engine.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Mercury tells you in multiple places 100 hours. Manual. On the engine decal. On the website. They are the ones warranting your engine.
    We never service Mercury FourStroke or Verado engines at 20 hours and have no influx of premature failures because we stick to Mercury’s recommendations. It has been that way since we started handling Verados after their release in 2004. Can’t even begin to count how many engines we have handled over the years that came to us with 0 hours and are well over the 1000, 2000 or 3000 hour mark without any issues. Most are multi-engine (a lot are triples or quads) applications. I can count how many had a 20 hour oil change: absolutely zero.

10. Member
    I’m surprised you guys have different opinions on this. Lol why can’t y’all all just agree and tell me what to do.

11. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by vjohn05 View Post
    I’m surprised you guys have different opinions on this. Lol why can’t y’all all just agree and tell me what to do.
    Save your money and change it once a year or 100 hours! There you’ve been told. LOL

If it was my engine I'd be getting the oil used for break-in out of there at 20 hours... both the engine and lower, and new filter on engine. But that's me, I tend to error on the side of over maintenance rather than risk it
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

13. mikesxpress
    That "break-in" oil change is a left over from the 1960's. Ford bozo's try to pull the same non-sense with new vehicles. They wanted me to get my "break-in" oil changed in my 2018 EcoBoost at 2500 miles and at 4K after that. I couldn't quit laughing.... the Ford oil life monitor tells you when to change it. But I'm sure they score an ample share of suckers that keep the oil rack busy...

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You'll get plenty of varying opinions on this, and the fact is that the choice is yours.

I can tell you this (and any one of these Mercury Dealers should know this since they SHOULD be logging services on MercNet):

The very first listed service entry for this engine serial number is: 20HR/3MO.

As has been stated many times- it's a Recommendation. It is NOT a Mandatory Service.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    I changed my 2019 Pro XS 4S at 20 hrs and it did not look good. Glad I did.

16. Member
    Like I said above I changed at 20 hours and it needed changing!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Like I said above I changed at 20 hours and it needed changing!
    Not wanting to argue but appearance of oil doesn't dictate if the oil needs changing. Having said that, I'd probably change oil/filter/gearlube at 20-30hrs just to let the engine know I am going to be loving owner.

18. Member
    I changed my engine oil & lower unit in my 225 V6 at 20 hours. Piece of mind cheap insurance. The oil was pretty dark in the engine the lower unit still blue hew. I'll change it at 100 again to keep it on schedule.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

I changed my 350 verado at 20 hours. Then annual as I don't put but about 50 hours a year now.

20. Member
    20k+ motors and your arguing over a 20hr oil change. I plan on changing mine every 50 hours. It's not that much money.....