Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Local Expert Mercury Mechanic?

Since Lee Sanderson has retired, I find myself looking for a new Merc expert. If anyone knows of someone in the Suffolk, Norfolk, Portsmouth, VA Beach area, please let me know.

Another option for me would be the folks who bought out Sanderson....but it is a long way for me to travel from Franklin to Chester...so I would need someone to recommend these folks from experience. I am more than willing to travel if these folks can help. Lee says they have a really good mechanic..

My situation is this.....Due to some personal situations, my friend BassnCop and I have been unable to get on the water for 6 years. Every spring, I have taken my boat up to Lee to make sure it is ready when I am. And also have the trailer inspected, as required by law. Gas tank has been drained, and Lee ran the boat on muffs using his own pre-mixed tank of fuel. Also, he and Clay checked for condition of impeller, etc. He made sure I was safe to hit the river when I was ready.

Thanks!

2. Member
    Justin at Jordan Point Marine is good and will take time to explain things.

3. Member
    you are welcome to come join me for a day on the water if you "need" to get out

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Since Lee Sanderson has retired, I find myself looking for a new Merc expert. If anyone knows of someone in the Suffolk, Norfolk, Portsmouth, VA Beach area, please let me know.

Another option for me would be the folks who bought out Sanderson....but it is a long way for me to travel from Franklin to Chester...so I would need someone to recommend these folks from experience. I am more than willing to travel if these folks can help. Lee says they have a really good mechanic..

My situation is this.....Due to some personal situations, my friend BassnCop and I have been unable to get on the water for 6 years. Every spring, I have taken my boat up to Lee to make sure it is ready when I am. And also have the trailer inspected, as required by law. Gas tank has been drained, and Lee ran the boat on muffs using his own pre-mixed tank of fuel. Also, he and Clay checked for condition of impeller, etc. He made sure I was safe to hit the river when I was ready.

Thanks!
    I am with you. I just purchased a new Opti 200 ProXS. I had it installed locally but I do not have a warm fuzzy feeling about the install dealer.

5. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    Hell I would be happy if the mechanic was only as half as good as Lee. But I'm in the same boat, will need one in the Gaston, Kerr area.

6. Member
    Following this thread. I have a Mercury Optimax 200 inboard jet that Sanderson did annual maintenance for me.

7. Member
    Bills Marine in Portsmouth has Merc trained techs. If you dont mind a little road trip pull it to Anglers Choice in Martinsburg.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

8. Portajohn
    Bill's Marine moved from Portsmouth to 370 Lizard Creek Road, Littleton, NC (Phone: 465-1408). They have the best mechs anywhere.

Did Bill's mechanic move to the Gaston location?

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    you are welcome to come join me for a day on the water if you "need" to get out
    Thank you! I appreciate that.

I am spoiled. Lee made life easy. All I had to do was call, make an appointment for a day & time convenient for both of us....tow it there and wait while they checked it out...and then tow it home. No dropping it off for heaven knows how long, like some of the horror stories you hear about.

I think Richmond Marine is closer than Angler's Choice, and Lee recommended them, so....I will give them a call for this spring. Thanks for suggestions/comments, gang!
    Last edited by Lea; 01-30-2019 at 11:51 AM.

11. Member
    We'll see how Richmond Marine shakes out. They told me last Monday they would look at my boat on Wednesday. Never hear from them last week . Called today, Tuesday, and they said maybe look at it tomorrow or Thursday. It is probably as slow of a time of year for boat repairs.... No warm and fuzzy from me yet. They have a short window to make or break this transition from Lee.

12. Member
    Charles at Mare on Stafford is great!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    We'll see how Richmond Marine shakes out. They told me last Monday they would look at my boat on Wednesday. Never hear from them last week . Called today, Tuesday, and they said maybe look at it tomorrow or Thursday. It is probably as slow of a time of year for boat repairs.... No warm and fuzzy from me yet. They have a short window to make or break this transition from Lee.
    It seems to me (my experience anyway) that marine dealers must think that they are doing you a favor to actually be willing to work on a customer's boat. I see them go out of business all of the time... I wonder why?? I have been boating over 40 years and only a very few marine dealers ever treated me like they wanted my business.

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    Charles at Mare on Stafford is great!!
    Yes, he is. He worked for Lee for awhile and I trust him. Where is Stafford? I am south of Franklin, on NC line, so Lee was the farthest I would want to travel.

Northern VA Lea.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Yes, he is. He worked for Lee for awhile and I trust him. Where is Stafford? I am south of Franklin, on NC line, so Lee was the farthest I would want to travel.
    Just past Fredericksburg. It is exactly an hour for me so about 2 hours for you. But I got my boat back in one day. AMAZING!!! A friend of mine took his boat to him with a motor not running. Diagnosed as blown moter had a new power head and boat back to him in about a week and a half.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

17. Member
    Lea your are looking at three hours from Franklin pulling a boat

18. Member
    That would be a hike for sure
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

19. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Too far, for sure. Bill's would be a lot closer. We'll see.....

Thanks, guys!!!

20. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    Lee spoiled me, I also would call Donna and make an appointment and wait for my boat while they did the service. Only one time did I have to leave it and that was due to work needed.
    Kenny who at one time worked for Lee went to work for Mare but he left them a couple years ago. You would think here in the Kerr / Gaston area their would be a good shop that could also do a good job, I just need to find them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast