Airbrush lure painting

Im considering starting to airbrush some lure blanks and touching up some of my older stuff. I know very little about it other than what I have watched on youtube. Im looking for a way to spend some time during the winter months. Are there any good websites that you guys would recommend to me to help ease the learning curve a bit. Also, where do you buy paints and supplies. What paint would you recommend? Basic colors? Im not looking for top of the line paint but no junk either.

Any good recommendations on an airbrush or airbrush kit? Or what to stay away from? I notice some come with a little stand alone compressor. I have a few compressors so that is not needed unless it is really recommended.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Definitely start with the sticky threads at the top. Also, tackle underground has some valuable information as well. Good luck! Lure parts online, Barlow's tackle, Jan's netcraft, there's a bunch more that I'm forgetting. I'm sure the guys who are in the know will add to that list.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angler103 View Post
    Im considering starting to airbrush some lure blanks and touching up some of my older stuff. I know very little about it other than what I have watched on youtube. Im looking for a way to spend some time during the winter months. Are there any good websites that you guys would recommend to me to help ease the learning curve a bit. Also, where do you buy paints and supplies. What paint would you recommend? Basic colors? Im not looking for top of the line paint but no junk either.

Any good recommendations on an airbrush or airbrush kit? Or what to stay away from? I notice some come with a little stand alone compressor. I have a few compressors so that is not needed unless it is really recommended.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you on facebook? There is a group called "Brotherhood of custom crankbait painting" members post pictures of baits they painted and are required to provide instructions on how it was painted. Also in the files sections there is instructional videos.

Paint - I suggest going to hobby lobby if you have one close by. Colors depend on what pattern you plan on painting. I like pearls, metallics, and transparents, stay way from opagues they don't blend very will. WWW.midwestairbrushsupply.com and www.coastairbrush.com are good places to find a bigger variety of paint than hobby lobby provides

compressor - any compressor will work if you can find the fittings to connect the hose.

airbrush - is a little harder to provide a suggestion you can go cheap to really expensive. I prefer a gravity fed dual action.

Thanks for the Facebook group. Been looking it over. Lots of good info there and some pretty talented guys.

5. Member
    I need to learn to use my airbrush myself. It clogs all the time and I need some professional help.

Allen

I prefer a .5 airbrush over a .35.. I have less clogging. But cleaning is important.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    I need to learn to use my airbrush myself. It clogs all the time and I need some professional help.

Allen
    You gotta find the right paint or get it thinned more. Acrylic clogs very easy and can be frustrating.
    Find an "airbrush ready" paint like ink or House of Kolor and you will be amazed at how well it goes on.
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

also thanks for the facebook group joined tonight.
    also got my airbrush Mike suggested in today. now to get everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    also thanks for the facebook group joined tonight.
    also got my airbrush Mike suggested in today. now to get everything else
    I expect you to post your first baits painted....

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Tackleunderground has some good info also.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!