Traverse City Fishing Recommendations

I am looking at taking a trip this year to the Traverse City area for a guided fishing trip. What time of year is best to go fishing wise? Also, any recommendations on guides?

Probably early June...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Chris Noffsinger - Northern Adventures Fishing. I second early June but have done well into July. Just depends on the spring up there.

4. Member
    With the way the winter is going up here this year might wanna plan for mid to late June. This weather is B.S.!! Struggling to even get above 0 during the day time and over night lows down in the -20 to -30+ in spots last night.

5. Member
    Yeah, I'm Texas grown so I don't tolerate extreme cold well! I contacted Chris Noffsinger and beginning to make plans.

6. Member
    If you want to get really adventurous, consider fishing the flats around Beaver Island. I don't have any recommendations on a guide, but there are some that do trips out there.

The spawn usually starts heavy there around June 10 depending on the spring and will last into July. I've taken multi-week family vacations there 6 of the last 8 years there during June. It's not as "easy" as it used to be but a guide should put you on some big ones. The fish in my avatar came from GTB. Good luck.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

8. Member
    The time of the year is all in relation to the spring weather here in TC. Mid to late june is your safe zone probably. Most inland lakes by me start showing signs of spawn around the end of may. The problem up here is the major difference in lakes vs the bay and the lakes vs themselves. GT bay will ALWAYS be a few weeks behind the inland lakes temp wise. Most guides will take you out to gt bay or the elk/torch chain and the burt /mullett chain. Marcells guide service is one of the tops and has the burt/mullett chain down to a science.. Noff knows his stuff to, but for personal reasons he is not one of my favorites. His partner Tody D is a long time friend and one of the top bass fishermen in this area.

http://www.marcelsguideservice.com/

https://www.traversebass.com/

9. Member
    Thanks for the info!

10. Member
    Booked a trip with Chris Noffsinger for mid July. That's the earliest my sons could fly up. Hopefully we can still find a few nice fish.

11. Member
    Just saw this thread and curious as well. I am looking in the august or september time frame to come up from Chicago with the family and in laws and am a little overwhelmed on vrbo with whats up there from a lake standpoint. Any recomendations on lakes around TC to target that time of the year. Just looking to fun fish nothing too serious, I see lot's on torch lake and the lakes around that part of the bay. I am just looking for general areas to focus in on any help would be appreciated. We would be renting on a lake.
    thanks

12. Member
    Nothing like wading out and hooking a steelhead in a blizzard. You might have to walk out on an ice shelf to get to open water. I miss fishing Michigan back in the early seventies when I was much younger.

https://mynorth.com/2018/11/winter-s...traverse-city/

13. Member
    Brinson, with as much ice there is on the lakes right now, you will probably still be catching spawners in mid July! It just won't let up. Once it's lets up, I think it's going to be a good year. Lakes will be chocked full of water.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    Brinson, with as much ice there is on the lakes right now, you will probably still be catching spawners in mid July! It just won't let up. Once it's lets up, I think it's going to be a good year. Lakes will be chocked full of water.
    Thanks!