I need some help please

I have talked to a couple of you guys via pm and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. This is my first boat and I am having a horrible time deciding which one to go with and some options on one of them. Any help in this to get me over the fence would be awesome. I don't want to buy one and wish I got the other or buy the bigger boat and say wish I got the smaller one. I have been tossing this around for 2-weeks. I have a garage that the 1880 will fit better in when I want to keep it at home, but I also have a storage unit I can keep either one at with no problem. I'm looking at the 1880 and 1980. The 1880 is big enough now for what I have for fishing gear, which is not much. The tm is only available in a 45" so that is no problem. I'm not a speed freak at all, but I ask myself is the 115 Pro XS big enough. On the 1980 I'm tossed between the 45" or 52" tm. Single or tandem. The 150 Pro XS I know will be fine.

The lakes with in 2-hours of my house that I would go to 75% of the time are no wake lakes. There is 8 lakes. There is Red Rock lake, Rathburn lake and lake Okoboji that are big lakes for our area that are ones I would visit. These are 3-1/2 hours from my house. The other lake I would probably go to is Mozingo lake in MO. and that has a 40 mph speed limit on it. It is 2-1/2 hours from me. Red Rock, Rathburn, Okoboji and Mozingo lakes I would probably only visit 3-4 times a year.

I know I'm probably looking into this way to hard, and being the first boat is probably some of it as well.

2. Member
    If it was me there is no way I would buy a boat I couldn't keep at home. I'm always tinkering on something or working on my fishing gear. That would decide it for me. When/if I upgraded the house/garage so something larger could fit then I would upgrade the boat if I wanted to.

3. Member
    With your description I think the 1880 with the 115HP would work well for you. I’ve been debating the same thing, and had almost eliminated the 1880 thinking it would be too small. When I saw the 1880 and 1980 together at a dealer there just isn’t that much difference between the two as far as room to move around on the front deck. The rear decks are the same. My fishing buddy and I have been fishing for 10 years out of his 16’ Nitro with 90HP (max speed 40mph), and it does great. We have caught so many fish out of it. Good luck no matter what you decide.

If you get the 1980 still get The 45” trolling motor. The 52 will just get in your way
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

5. Member
    I was at a boat show today and saw all the Vexus boats. In your situation I think you would be fine with the 1880. I am able to keep my boat at home now versus a storage location away and it is really nice. Especially when it is new you are going to want to do thing s to it and check it out which will be much easier at home. The 115 should get you close to 50 if you need to go there but it appears you will not be able to do that on the lakes you fish the most. 150 would be overkill. You could use the money you save for upgraded electronics which is not cheap these days. Good luck with your decision. If Vexus had been available last year I would have probably got one myself. I have a Ranger RT188 with a 115 and love it. Go for the Ultrex also. Great trolling motor.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TellicoTom View Post
    I was at a boat show today and saw all the Vexus boats. In your situation I think you would be fine with the 1880. I am able to keep my boat at home now versus a storage location away and it is really nice. Especially when it is new you are going to want to do thing s to it and check it out which will be much easier at home. The 115 should get you close to 50 if you need to go there but it appears you will not be able to do that on the lakes you fish the most. 150 would be overkill. You could use the money you save for upgraded electronics which is not cheap these days. Good luck with your decision. If Vexus had been available last year I would have probably got one myself. I have a Ranger RT188 with a 115 and love it. Go for the Ultrex also. Great trolling motor.
    Glad to hear there are some on display.. going today to the show

7. Member
    Thanks everyone for the input.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TellicoTom View Post
    I agree with this. From your description it will be rare you’ll push the boat WOT so the 150 will definitely be more than you need. Save the extra money and upgrade the things you want on the 1880