Deck padding, YES or NO during recarpet job

Getting ready to do my carpet on my Ranger 520. What is the current opinion of using padding under the front deck? A few years ago I saw some complaints that the padding wouldn’t hold up and would always come loose.

2. Member
    def do padding. I bough mine from ranger it was cheaper than anywhere else I could find

3. Member
    Its closed cell foam. Pad to the deck must be applied with contact cement on both surfaces. Air wont go thru it for other adhesives to dry. Maybe that caused the complaints

4. Member
    Definitely use the padding. Contact cement to secure foam to deck and carpet to the foam. I did my entire boat with it and love it. Had no problems with any of it coming up. It will rip the foam or the carpet fibers out if you try to lift it up. I used about 1.5gallons on my boat and placed foam under the carpet and under all the lids. (Mainly because I had plenty of foam to do so, but also for added insulation in the livewells and as hook hangers in the other compartments. It also kept me from having to carpet the undersides of the lids)

5. Member
    Yes on the padding your knees with thank you later.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I choose to bypass the padding due to all the adhesion nightmares I have heard. It would have been nice however

7. Member
    Bobby lane has last years boat for sale. One of the things listed was double padded front deck. Something more to think about.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

8. Member
    What padding is best and what glue do you use to glue the padding down? Also, how close to the edges do you cut the pad? What about box kids, do you run the padding all the way to the edge?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    What padding is best and what glue do you use to glue the padding down? Also, how close to the edges do you cut the pad? What about box kids, do you run the padding all the way to the edge?
    Anybody, sound like padding is the way to go.

10. Member
    Any padding will do, most is 1/4" thick, and MUST be closed cell foam. Cut 1-1/2" shy of floor so only carpet is adhering to deck. On all lids cut foam all the way up to edge, wrap carpet around edges like usual. Use Weldwood on all materials.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Its closed cell foam. Pad to the deck must be applied with contact cement on both surfaces. Air wont go thru it for other adhesives to dry. Maybe that caused the complaints

yeah, not just any contact cement, use the chit for under rubber.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    yeah, not just any contact cement, use the chit for under rubber.
    Sounds like good advice. Is there a particular brand of "Chit" you recommend? I see Weldwood was recommended above.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Not sure good for padding or not but Weldwood is good "CHIT"

14. Member
    Yes on the Weldwood, by the gallon. I see you're in IL...if installing during the winter in a closed garage, you're gonna be high as a kite, lots of bad fumes.

15. Member
    Use Birdsong adhesive on the underside of the padding. Been some threads from the past highly recommending this adhesive. I believe it an anaerobic adhesive which mean it will cure without air or oxygen. I used it on a ranger recarpet job and has done well for 4 years.