Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Right behind you!

I want the weight of my 3 Group 31 AGM's OFF my trailer axle too. Tire wear when you fish 4-6 days a week is an issue, getting over 100 pounds off the axle would be worth it for me. I paid $1100 for three Intimidator AGM's, so if I replace them after five seasons I have in essence spent the same as buying the lithium's once. Price the lithiums over a ten year life span. Replacing and dealing with dying lead acid batteries every couple years is why I switched to AGMs, but the AGM's cost plenty and are heavy as hell. I am monitoring lithium usage and technology heavily as I plan to upgrade next season, please keep us posted on your experiences
    Last edited by 8theB8; 02-02-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Typos

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Reading these posts is giving me battery envy to go with my general electronics envy! Losing the weight in the boat is really attractive.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

3. Banned
    Much cheaper if you went on a diet. Would be like making money.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Much cheaper if you went on a diet. Would be like making money.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Update: just installed the Battle Born batteries today... Man those things are light compared to optimas. Install was a piece of cake - fit in the same size tray as my optimas (th marine size 27)... Can't wait to use them. Won't be long now.. Maybe even next weekend.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

6. Member
    I love the idea of lithiums, but if you take week vacation and a lithium takes dump what the heck do you do then ?

Quote Originally Posted by armond View Post
    I love the idea of lithiums, but if you take week vacation and a lithium takes dump what the heck do you do then ?
    Same thing ya do when traditional batteries take a dump... Go to Walmart and grab 2 pos Everstarts to get you through.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Any increase in top end speed from the weight reduction? My wife says that if I get lithium’s I do not get to add 100 lbs. of additional tackle.��*♂️
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

9. Member
    Good luck with your new batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Any increase in top end speed from the weight reduction? My wife says that if I get lithium’s I do not get to add 100 lbs. of additional tackle.��*♂️
    HA! I don't expect any increase in speed... Just can't believe batteries at almost half the weight with that much capacity.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by armond View Post
    You charge them. But unlike lead-based batteries they will not have started sulfation and will work like before after charging.
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 02-23-2019 at 09:07 AM.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post
    I paid about $1,800 for 2 of the 12v 100ah batteries for my trolling motor setup.

I bought two Sam's Duracell biggest baddest AGM they have. They cost about $350 for BOTH of them when they put them on sale. I use a trolling motor a lot -- A WHOLE LOT. In Florida, sometimes we drive the big motor for about 10 minutes and then stay on the trolling motor all day. I have never even come close to losing any power...... And for about $350 for BOTH.

They are not lightweight ... But big deal.... I am not racing the boat. My gas probably weighs lot more than the batteries. I never worry about a little weight. If I did, I would just run with a half tank of gas. But I don't. And if they last all day, what more of an advantage are you getting? I might would try them for a reasonable price, but not for what they cost now.... Can't see the value. But that's just me.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I think you have a trailer or alignment problem .... Or are getting bad tires. Good trailer tires are hard to find in some sizes. I would not think the weight of the trolling motor batteries are the cause of any problem you have.
    And I bought two of the SAMS Duracell AGM for about $350 or so. Good warranty and performance....for $350 or so on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by 8theB8 View Post
    Right behind you!

I want the weight of my 3 Group 31 AGM's OFF my trailer axle too. Tire wear when you fish 4-6 days a week is an issue, getting over 100 pounds off the axle would be worth it for me. I paid $1100 for three Intimidator AGM's, so if I replace them after five seasons I have in essence spent the same as buying the lithium's once. Price the lithiums over a ten year life span. Replacing and dealing with dying lead acid batteries every couple years is why I switched to AGMs, but the AGM's cost plenty and are heavy as hell. I am monitoring lithium usage and technology heavily as I plan to upgrade next season, please keep us posted on your experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I bought two Sam's Duracell biggest baddest AGM they have. They cost about $350 for BOTH of them when they put them on sale. I use a trolling motor a lot -- A WHOLE LOT. In Florida, sometimes we drive the big motor for about 10 minutes and then stay on the trolling motor all day. I have never even come close to losing any power...... And for about $350 for BOTH.

They are not lightweight ... But big deal.... I am not racing the boat. My gas probably weighs lot more than the batteries. I never worry about a little weight. If I did, I would just run with a half tank of gas. But I don't. And if they last all day, what more of an advantage are you getting? I might would try them for a reasonable price, but not for what they cost now.... Can't see the value. But that's just me.
    Yea - those are good batteries. Curious - what's the ah rating on those?

We have a lot of electric only lakes by me and going from spot to spot on 10 on the trolling motor will eat up battery. I've killed my optimas a few times (66 ah)... Hoping that the 100ah lithium setup will last longer. There's a difference using the TM all day and running it on 10 for 20 mins at a time while using it all day - if that makes sense.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Yea - those are good batteries. Curious - what's the ah rating on those?

We have a lot of electric only lakes by me and going from spot to spot on 10 on the trolling motor will eat up battery. I've killed my optimas a few times (66 ah)... Hoping that the 100ah lithium setup will last longer. There's a difference using the TM all day and running it on 10 for 20 mins at a time while using it all day - if that makes sense.
    I stay on a trolling motor a lot. These have never even slowed down. Nonspillable AGM. Good warranty. Made in USA. The ah ratings can be different depending upon the manufacturer from what I understand. But here are the specs.... I went from Optimas to these and put the Optimas in the little boat. If you don't have an Ultrex, I would buy these batteries and put an Ultrex on the bow for the lithium money....ESPECIALLY if you fish electric motor only lakes. The Ultrex will do a lot of stuff you would absolutely love.

Specifications

• 1 amp hour rate:68.2
    • 100 amp hour rate:110
    • 20 amp hour rate:105
    • 3 amp hour rate:85
    • 5 amp hour rate:86
    • 6 amp hour rate:87.4
    • 8 amp hour rate:90
    • Battery Electrolyte Composition:Glass Mat
    • Battery End Type:Top Post
    • Battery Purpose:Starting Lighting Instrumentation
    • BCI Group Size:31
    • CCA at 0 degrees F:800
    • Freight Class:65
    • MCA at 32 degrees F:1000
    • Minutes at 15 amps:348
    • Minutes at 25 amps:210
    • Minutes at 5 amps:1265
    • Minutes at 50 amps:87.4
    • Minutes at 75 amps:53
    • Minutes at 8 amps:706
    • Polarity:Left Positive
    • Reserve Capacity:200
    • Terminal Type:STUD/SAE
    • Volts:12

*For 18-month free replacement:

17. Member
    When my current TM batt's start to die I may think lithium. I use my 24v TM (Terrova) nearly exclusively in the local big lake and many times it runs non stop for 10+ hours in moderate to heavy winds. It gets pretty low toward the end of the day, depending. There are a lot of times the main motor stays lifted all day. I use a kicker to supplement but would really like it if I could get the 70 lbs of kicker off of the back of the boat and just run the TM all day on a higher setting, not to mention taking the heavy TM batts in and out of the boat.

On average I spend about 800 dollars on 8 batteries in 10 years. I normally get 4 to 5 years on a set of 4. I always purchase some kind of regular East Penn deep cycle and starter batteries. I getting close to being due for that. I'll go to sam's and get them when I need them.

The only advantage right now is the weight of Lithium batteries for me.

Until they are a lot closer to the cost of what I'm doing now I'm not going to change.
    Last edited by Rick H; 02-23-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I stay on a trolling motor a lot. These have never even slowed down. Nonspillable AGM. Good warranty. Made in USA. The ah ratings can be different depending upon the manufacturer from what I understand. But here are the specs.... I went from Optimas to these and put the Optimas in the little boat. If you don't have an Ultrex, I would buy these batteries and put an Ultrex on the bow for the lithium money....ESPECIALLY if you fish electric motor only lakes. The Ultrex will do a lot of stuff you would absolutely love.

Specifications

• 1 amp hour rate:68.2
    • 100 amp hour rate:110
    • 20 amp hour rate:105
    • 3 amp hour rate:85
    • 5 amp hour rate:86
    • 6 amp hour rate:87.4
    • 8 amp hour rate:90
    • Battery Electrolyte Composition:Glass Mat
    • Battery End Type:Top Post
    • Battery Purpose:Starting Lighting Instrumentation
    • BCI Group Size:31
    • CCA at 0 degrees F:800
    • Freight Class:65
    • MCA at 32 degrees F:1000
    • Minutes at 15 amps:348
    • Minutes at 25 amps:210
    • Minutes at 5 amps:1265
    • Minutes at 50 amps:87.4
    • Minutes at 75 amps:53
    • Minutes at 8 amps:706
    • Polarity:Left Positive
    • Reserve Capacity:200
    • Terminal Type:STUD/SAE
    • Volts:12

*For 18-month free replacement:

I've got an ultrex... It's awesome.

Thanks for the info - I appreciate when good info is put out there!

Always quality posts from you.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

I've got an ultrex... It's awesome.

Thanks for the info - I appreciate when good info is put out there!

Always quality posts from you.
    I did not realize you already had the Ultrex. I am not educated in the subject to understand, but since they make the motor I take their caution and would be careful about what you hook it up to. I bought the Sam's Duracell AGM for my Ultrex. Also I don't know if the battery they discuss below is the same as the one referenced here. There is enough going on under the hood on the Ultrex and considering what the thing costs, I just would be cautious.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppo...trolling-motor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast