Pro Staff / Demo Z21 - Question and 225 vs 250

Looking a 2017 Z21 I'd be registered as the first owner and the boat has about 80 hours. It looks clean and I'm going sight unseen at this point. Although it's going to have a full warranty and the hours aren't that high would I be out of place to ask for a readout on the run time to get a sense for how it was treated.

At the same time could . should they provide service history on it as well. Although under warranty I just want to make sure its sound before diving in. I'm 8 hours drive time away and prefer no surprises

I also saw another Z21 that had the 225 and know that most would say go big or go home. I don't tournament fish and it's usually me and my two sons so I'm not trying to set records or play KVD. Could I get away with 225 for casual weekend warrior stuff. Longer term was thinking would it tank resale ?

2. Member
    Ask for whatever you need to feel comfortable with your purchase. If the seller doesn't want to provide what you need, to me that would be a warning sign. I personally think a 225 will lower resale but I have never had a boat for less than 12 years so the resale is already lower in my case. Just my opinions.
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

3. Member
    I think resale would be the only issue. I had an 2009 Triton that I sold in 2012. It had very low hours and was basically perfect, but, it had a 200 while rated for a 225. It took 6 months to sell it and I had to keep dropping the price to about $4k below book before it sold. I decided that would be the last time I would have a boat without the rated motor. I've had 2 boats since then so I change often enough that it matters. If you keep a boat for the long term probably doesn't matter.

If I was in the market, which I'm not, I think the Z20 with a 225 would be a perfect boat for me as I'm not interested in speed nor fish tournaments but I would have to commit to a longer ownership.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

4. Member
    Z21 with 225? Will it work yes. Is it under powered IMO yes. I'm under the assumption that's why it hadn't sold yet. I'm also guessing they've marked it down tremendously as to get all the 2S ProXs's gone.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

5. Member
    ^^^This...plus resale.

225 would be tuff on resale(You will always be competing with 250s) when u sell, so I agree. But it should perform well, i'm sure you will have that feeling at sometime that says I should have got the 250, or I wish. The 17 is already a 3 year old boat, needs to be the right deal.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

So your saying this was a "Demo" boat? If so, I would be concerned about proper break in. Most demo boats are run hard with high rpm's and not broken in accordance to manufactures recommendations. I would ask to see a print out of motor specs and rpm ranges! Good luck!

IMO...never buy a demo!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2013 Nitro Z-7, 150 Mercury OptiMax Pro Xs, 21P Tempest Plus Prop, DC, 1198 Humminbird at bow, 998 Humminbird on console, 36V Minn Kota #112, Tandem Axels, Bluewater LED's on boat and trailer.

Sounds like a dealer demo, I would not worry about that. Heck u have full warranty, hopefully you can get the 5 years coverage on the motor
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team