Thread: Drafty windows

BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

Drafty windows

Remember my post a couple weeks ago about the outlet held in with a drywall screw that I said was one of the more interesting things I had found? I'll have to amend that now. I was taking the window stool off of this window to replace it.....and noticed for the first time that this isn't a window for this sized opening.... Its 2 small windows just butted together in the bigger opening

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Think of all the valuable knowledge about how not to fix a house you are getting.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Installing multiple windows in a common opening is a standard carpentry procedure. Mullions on the inside and outside are the trim pieces used to cover the joint.
    I have done a few of them. Hard to tell from the photo if that one was done correctly tho.

4. Member
    Common practice.

5. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
    Installing multiple windows in a common opening is a standard carpentry procedure. Mullions on the inside and outside are the trim pieces used to cover the joint.
    I have done a few of them. Hard to tell from the photo if that one was done correctly tho.
    I haven't had the chance to go exploring yet, but based off of the rest of the house, I will tell you right now that it isn't!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Is this a house you bought or something you are being paid to work on? PA has a lot of housing stock that is in pretty rough shape.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
    I agree. It is still common practice.
    https://www.plygem.com/wps/wcm/conne...g&CVID=lWG8Aog
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

8. Member
    Cheap home Depot replacement window. Probably no insulation around window. Replace with a Good window installed correctly.

Kind of hard to tell, may be two single windows mulled together to make a twin.

10. Member
    Windows don't pay for themselves in savings. So if the windows are in good condition it would be better to fix them. If they are improperly installed it may be worth looking into a way to remedy that.

If you notice window makers no longer advertise how much you can save with new windows. This was because the ftc wanted proof and there is none. There are reasons to change windows i.e. they don't work, leak water, etc. Two windows together like that you might take them out and reinstall properly.

Hopefully they are mulled together properly. Those vinyl windows are often installed with plenty of room to fit, then caulked around the perimeter inside and out. Aluminum trim coil is often used on the exterior to "cap" it off. I'm in the business and sell Marvin and Kolbe windows, feel free to shoot me a PM with questions.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Scraps
    You're peeling the onion. Have put a few window sets in like that - as said looks like they were short on the right parts, the mullions to connect the windows together. Sash and frame looks real similar to my Simonton replacements which are good quality winders.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD