Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bladed Jigs - Comparing Brands

I've got the usual assortment of Z-Man chatterbaits minus a Jackhammer. Just not ready to pay $16.00 for it just yet. I also throw a Strike King Rage Blade occasionally which I like.
    What other brands are out there that some of you use and recommend? Looking to try some others to add to my collection and try out. Cost isn't the main factor, but is a consideration.
    Also considering building my own, and would love recommendation on type and brand of jig to use, and blade recommendations.
    Just looking to try something new.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2. Member
    I too and interested in what people have tried and like. I use the more then any other bait
    Semper Fi

3. Member
    D&M, buy the heads and blades separate off tackle warehouse and assemble yourselves. VERY different action than z man.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    D&M, buy the heads and blades separate off tackle warehouse and assemble yourselves. VERY different action than z man.
    This has been on my list of things to try this year. I'm also going to grab some of the Phenix "swim jigs" (I actually think TW has them listed as something like "original wobbler without the blade") and try doing the same with those. A cheap punch from Harbor Freight works to open hook eyes that were never meant to hold a blade, so I have to believe it will open them as well.

Another thing I've wondered about has to do with a new blade attachment I've seen from both Phenix and Picasso. It's a shackle type thing they use to attach the blade to a standard vertical line tie on a jig while still getting around the Z-Man patent. It's not a split ring like others use, and I believe Picasso is now claiming a patent on it despite the fact that I noticed Phenix using it first and I think Phenix is still using it. Anybody try those and have feedback on how they work? Some reviews I've seen basically seem to indicate that it works as well as a direct-to-hook eye connection, some say it's better, and still others swear that nothing works like the direct connection.

I do want to try the new Booyah Melee as it's something different, and also want to try a Rage Blade as I've yet to throw one of those. Don't have the highest of hopes for either, but I'm sort of a bladed jig fanatic so I've got to try.

Past that, I've got a lot of "homemade" ones I've put together by attaching blades sourced on ebay to line ties on jigs I've opened with the aforementioned punch from Harbor Freight. It's really interesting how you can change the action on them by bending the blade slightly or using a slightly different design. For example, one blade I have (another eBay find) has the attachment point positioned in sort of a "notch" into the blade such that the blade doesn't move nearly as far before striking the head as it does with a standard blade that's flat on the bottom. It's a much tighter, subtle, easier-start-up-inertia vibration than the normal style. The head design makes a huge difference in how they work, too. The different blades and jighead options are really similar to different bill designs and body shapes on crankbaits in how they affect the action of a bait, in my mind. Lots to experiment with for sure!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Here's the punch set I use to open hook eyes, by the way. The green one is usually the one to use, but I figure I've probably used each of them at one point or another. Thanks to Mike aka 21XDC for the tip on this!

https://www.harborfreight.com/nail-p...-pc-62686.html
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 01-23-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Removed image because it's gigantic...follow harbor freight link to see the punches
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I use a lot of ZMan bladed jigs, haven’t tried many other brands. I tend to use the same one since I need a weedless design for throwing them in the Florida jungle! The Booyah Melee is one that I really want to try though...no jackhammers here but I’ll be trying one soon.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Member
    I've tried Picasso, Strike King, and of course Z-Man.

I have probably a dozen jackhammers, 50+ originals, a couple Project Z's and a couple weedless Project Z. So far, I have had the best success with the originals and the jackhammers.

The only one that I really want to try is the Picasso Tungsten. Any that use a split ring to connect the blade to the jighead is out for me.

I don't throw any bait more than a chatterbait, or in more conditions. I bought a couple jackhammers a little over a year ago during the TW sale to try, to see what the big deal was, and now I keep a small stockpile of them. I've never paid full price for them though.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Interested in D&M and Picasso. Saw them on TW. I’ll buying blades and jigs separately and assembling them. TY.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Double post.
    Last edited by RazorCat; 01-23-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Here's the punch set I use to open hook eyes, by the way. The green one is usually the one to use, but I figure I've probably used each of them at one point or another. Thanks to Mike aka 21XDC for the tip on this!

https://www.harborfreight.com/nail-p...-pc-62686.html
    I’ve got every size punch, so I should one that works. Thanks for the tip.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Banned
    Picasso Shock Blades

12. Member
    I'm a big fan of the Picasso Shock Blades. These blades seem to get vibrating the quickest after letting it sit or stop moving which is why I like them so much.

I just bought a Jackhammer and also some Keitch swim baits...but only because I got a gift card for the local tackle shop for Christmas. I would never have spent than much out of my own pocket for either of those baits.

I have not gotten to throw the Jackhammer yet, as the water is too hard on top right now. That will have to wait until my annual trip to Santee in late March. But, here are a couple initial impressions. First, high quality materials and workmanship. However, two things are of concern. First, although the hook is super sharp, it is a lighter wire hook than many other vibrating jigs I have fished. I suspect it will hold up, unless someone is using heavy braid. Then, it could bend out slightly. Most concerning to me is my second observation. With vibrating jigs, 3/8 ounce is "THE" standard size. So, that's what I bought. When I got home and took it out of the package, it seemed smaller than 3/8 oz. to me. I compared it to other brands of vibrating jigs I have and the 3/8 oz. Jackhammer is exactly the same weight as a could 1/4 oz. baits of other brands. Thinking that the bait might have been mis-marked, I stopped back at the tackle shop and discovered that the other 3/8 oz. baits on the rack were exactly the same size as mine. So, if you buy one, you might want to take that into consideration.

As far as making your own baits, the Do-It Sparkie jig mold (non-weedless version) is very close to the exact shape of the original RAD Chatterbait head.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Not a huge user of those kinds of baits but when I do it’s the Picasso Shock Blade or Jackhammer,both have worked well for me.
    Red Sox in 6!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    +1...The D&M's have a very good action

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I just bought a Jackhammer and also some Keitch swim baits...but only because I got a gift card for the local tackle shop for Christmas. I would never have spent than much out of my own pocket for either of those baits.

I have not gotten to throw the Jackhammer yet, as the water is too hard on top right now. That will have to wait until my annual trip to Santee in late March. But, here are a couple initial impressions. First, high quality materials and workmanship. However, two things are of concern. First, although the hook is super sharp, it is a lighter wire hook than many other vibrating jigs I have fished. I suspect it will hold up, unless someone is using heavy braid. Then, it could bend out slightly. Most concerning to me is my second observation. With vibrating jigs, 3/8 ounce is "THE" standard size. So, that's what I bought. When I got home and took it out of the package, it seemed smaller than 3/8 oz. to me. I compared it to other brands of vibrating jigs I have and the 3/8 oz. Jackhammer is exactly the same weight as a could 1/4 oz. baits of other brands. Thinking that the bait might have been mis-marked, I stopped back at the tackle shop and discovered that the other 3/8 oz. baits on the rack were exactly the same size as mine. So, if you buy one, you might want to take that into consideration.

As far as making your own baits, the Do-It Sparkie jig mold (non-weedless version) is very close to the exact shape of the original RAD Chatterbait head.
    I noticed the exact same thin with the weight Jeff. In fact Land Big Fish had a sale for $11.00 and all the 1/2 sizes were gone. I have noticed that it seems to come up a bit on the retrieve so maybe a 1/2 would be better
    Last edited by RANGER487; 01-24-2019 at 09:27 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Not a huge user of those kinds of baits but when I do it’s the Picasso Shock Blade or Jackhammer,both have worked well for me.
    These!^^^^^The Picasso with the hair was extremely successful for me last spring too!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

18. Member
    The head may be smaller on the Jackhammer, but the lead goes further down the collar/keeper on the hook shank.

Quote Originally Posted by M1RT View Post
    The head may be smaller on the Jackhammer, but the lead goes further down the collar/keeper on the hook shank.
    I put my 3/8 oz. Jackhammer on a balance beam and put various other brands on the other end, one at a time. The 3/8 oz. Jackhammer balanced exactly with the 1/4 oz. of most other brands.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    Vibrashock is all I ever use. I think the football head is all around the best. You get great erratic action and the blade hits the corners hard. Makes a really nice sound coming through the water. It hits so hard it physically chips the paint off the corners after awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast