Megabass Destroyer Addermine vs. G Loomis NRX 852S JWR

Need some more help here fellas. It is upgrade season for me here in Michigan. Looking at purchasing the Addermine or the 852S in the near future. Reel that I use is a Shimano Stradic 2500HGFB. I only carry one spinning rod in my boat so it needs to accomplish light ish lures and basically an all around rod. Mostly soft plastics. I have read the the Megabass rods balance better but the NRX are superior in sensitivity. Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

I had a Loomis NRX 852S with a Stella 2500 but no longer have either, I sold them both a while back. I currently own the Addermine and have a 15’ Exist 2510 and while the Addermine is nice, the NRX was definitely more sensitive making it ideal for bottom contact fishing. If you’re looking for something more versatile, I would say get the Addermine. You’ll give up some sensitivity but can use it for other methods like throwing small spybaits, finesse swimbaits, etc. IMO, the NRX is somewhat limited to throwing finesse plastics.
    Last edited by Winstondry; 01-23-2019 at 06:34 PM.

3. Member
    I personally have the 872s NRX and love it. I went with it over the 852s because I use spinning rods in more open water situations. If you throw a tube a lot get the 872s. I can't speak about the Addermine but Megabass makes nice rods. Just food for thought.

4. Member
    I would probably use it more for bottom contact tasks than anything but I like the idea of versatility though. Winstondry why did you get rid of the 852S and pick up the Addermine?

Quote Originally Posted by Uknowme View Post
    I would probably use it more for bottom contact tasks than anything but I like the idea of versatility though. Winstondry why did you get rid of the 852S and pick up the Addermine?
    I didn't actually replace one with the other, there were about 4 or 5 years in between. I sold the NRX when I sold my Ranger and moved back to saltwater fishing. I recently moved back to chasing the green demons, hence the recent purchase of the Addermine. I tend to do fresh or salt rarely doing both. I went from a Ranger 520VX to a Grady White, then back to a Ranger Z21 and again sold to get a Robalo R240, and now back in a Z520L. I think I'm done buying boats for now...famous last words.

6. Member
    no experience with addermine but i agree with Winstondry that the 852s is a plastics rod. would not be my first choice for moving baits.

the NRX 852s balances fine to me but i have all fingers north of the real seat.