Thread: Wedge

Question Wedge

Back in March when I got my 150 HP 4/stroke Merc. SN: 2B544452 the only thing I could find for motor support while trailering was the Wedge. Is there anything out now that is better? If you are not familiar with the 1 cylinder trim lift on the 150's it is different. Thanks for any help!

The Wedge is it except for the old style motor toter. I just went to the Wedge so far so good.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have not seen any other support offered as of today.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Don,

Would you recommend the wedge? I think many on hear would like to hear your thoughts on motor supports for the single ram engines.

Don

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doroger View Post
    Don,

Would you recommend the wedge? I think many on hear would like to hear your thoughts on motor supports for the single ram engines.

Don
    I sure would!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It is, essentially, the only viable option other than the old "stick and scratch".

There's a couple of retired engineers on here that could probably come up with something awesome if they put their mind to it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    It is, essentially, the only viable option other than the old "stick and scratch".

There's a couple of retired engineers on here that could probably come up with something awesome if they put their mind to it.
    Thats a pretty "soft" recommendation.
    I have the wedge and the "stick and scratch." Been using the Stick and Scratch since I read about some "concerns" about damaging the seal in the ram...but last year my trim unit went out and was replaced, often wonder if it was due to the stick and scratch
    I haven't hauled the boat much since then...only gonna be -16F here tonight...so formulating my strategy for next spring...

Don, between the two, which would you use if you owned a 150 4 Stroke and required towing with the motor tilted?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

I'm currently using the "My Wedge" and their steering clips. So far it's been good to me. Using them since Sept 2018...so no long term reports available.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not really fond of either option, to be honest.

If it were me/mine:

Yeah, if I had the time and wherewithal this would be on my top of list to design / sell.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not really fond of either option, to be honest.

If it were me/mine:
    Love that Don.

Kind of where i'm at w/ it...but nothing is not an option, and I have more confidence in the Stick and Scratch actually holding the motor on a long trip (several hundred miles).

Sure is odd nobody has put solving that on their list -- given the 150 4S has been such a good seller -- market seems ripe.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

Rumor has there are 2 big names in the industry working on designs.

I have a feeling we'll see these when the motors become obsolete.