Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I personally believe a properly placed puncture style cull tag is best for the fish however, they're now illegal on most bodies of water I fish. The question is who makes the best non puncture tags? I have the Cal Coast Tags. I find them hard to use and very large in the fish's mouth. Sometimes the fish die as a result. I also have the tags that go through the gills.... this one has actually been the best although I still worry about the contact with the gills over a period of time. Is there a better cull tag system out there? Please advise!!

Are your local trails making the piercing type not allowed?

2. Member
    I've been using the Cal Coast 2.0 tags for a year and they are really good. Easy to get on and off and hold the bass well. They have a nice cull beam as well for them.

When I fished in MD two years ago, the DNR guy told us we couldn't use through the gill tags..........even on a cull beam.

3. Member
    I agree with OP .. guys not properly using the old style is what ruined them. I’ve saw many fish with a hole right in the correct spot, and many fish with 2” gashes or more . Ignorance once again ruined a perfectly good thing. I’m currently using Rapala culls that come with there tournament scale. Not a fan. Hard to see the numbers and they are all red. Got them as a gift do I can’t complain too much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieV20 View Post
    Anyone try the glory bags?
    https://www.russellmarineproducts.co...ng+bag&Submit=

These are what I use. Board sponsor also.

5. Member
    The Cal Costa 2.0 work really well for me. Easy to use and never had any problems. I've never had a clip come off.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LDS922 View Post
    I've been to several of the meetings and have worked with the tidal bass manager quite often as the President of one of the largest (probably THE largest) bass club in the area...I'm not saying I agree with it, I went to the meetings and worked with the DNR to try to prevent these regs....but SOME local guys/clubs holding tournaments definitely hurt our case. Anglers complained to DNR for several seasons due to tougher than normal fishing and the grass all dying, DNR looked into and that included observing weigh-ins, what they saw was not a good-look for us.

They saw tears from cull tags, guys dropping fish, laying fish on pavement, guys waiting in line for 5 mins or more to weigh without having the fish in the water, etc, etc....A bunch of terrible examples for us.

I don't like the laws at all...But I can understand why they happened given what the DNR obvserved.
    Yeah I can agree with you there. Some of our own, are our own worst enemies. I tons guys every year that do the bare minimum to keep the fish alive and treat them as if they’re made of concrete. Lot of people just have no respect for our resources.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    I've been using the Cal Coast 2.0 tags for a year and they are really good. Easy to get on and off and hold the bass well. They have a nice cull beam as well for them.

When I fished in MD two years ago, the DNR guy told us we couldn't use through the gill tags..........even on a cull beam.
    I think early on, they either weren't familiar or changed minds...Because more recently, from what I've been told by them, they are allowed.

It's not well defined and sort of a cluster-F....But we have to abide by what they say
    -Logan

8. Member
    - I use the system shown in this video. Doesn't require puncturing or a clamp, although you can use them as puncture style if desired. Puncture style tags are fine if you puncture them in the right place.

9. Member
    Yes.... any tournament in Maryland

10. Member
    I don't like the clips. I use them because of the requirement to in Maryland. That said I have seen some really sadly mutilated fish because some dumb ass didn't know how to clip them. I can understand the need for the law.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I don't like the clips. I use them because of the requirement to in Maryland. That said I have seen some really sadly mutilated fish because some dumb ass didn't know how to clip them. I can understand the need for the law.
    I get the law of mandating non puncture clips, but why is there a law saying I have to use a clip at all,? Isn’t it completely dumb that if I didn’t want to use any cull clips at all that now I have to?? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Lol

12. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    T-H Marine G-Force Conservation Culling System

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Are your local trails making the piercing type not allowed?

Any BASS sanctioned event starting last year
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I get the law of mandating non puncture clips, but why is there a law saying I have to use a clip at all,? Isn’t it completely dumb that if I didn’t want to use any cull clips at all that now I have to?? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Lol
    They do have a reason that is pretty logical. DNR says that they don't want the angler to have to chase the fish around the well in order to catch it when they are culling. They also want the culled fish to be identified quickly, instead of catching/checking every fish.

I know it all sounds silly and I'm not really defending the regs...But when I had it explained to me by the DNR guys themselves it did make a lot more sense. Also remember the rules ONLY apply to tournaments on the Potomac and Upper Bay from certain designated ramps - They happen to be the only places a major tournament will launch though. BTW, If you launch a tournament from a VA ramp on the Potomac, none of the rules apply. At least not yet since it's not a state regulation, only a tournament permit regulation.
    -Logan

15. Member
    Cal Coast 2.0

16. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Cal Coast Fishing 2.0
    LeaLea

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LDS922 View Post
    They do have a reason that is pretty logical. DNR says that they don't want the angler to have to chase the fish around the well in order to catch it when they are culling. They also want the culled fish to be identified quickly, instead of catching/checking every fish.

I know it all sounds silly and I'm not really defending the regs...But when I had it explained to me by the DNR guys themselves it did make a lot more sense. Also remember the rules ONLY apply to tournaments on the Potomac and Upper Bay from certain designated ramps - They happen to be the only places a major tournament will launch though. BTW, If you launch a tournament from a VA ramp on the Potomac, none of the rules apply. At least not yet since it's not a state regulation, only a tournament permit regulation.
    Makes sense.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    I bought cal coast fishing 2.0 model and they seem to work good.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Cal_...ge-CCFCNC.html

these are the best ones I have used
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    T-H Marine G-Force Conservation Culling System

too clumsy takes 3 hands to use
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12