Question First Trip to Lewis Smith

My son and I are coming to Smith the second week of March. If y’all don’t mind some questions:

1. What water temp and general pattern(s) should we expect?

2. What part of lake fishes better that time of year; upper, middle, or lower?

3. Boat friendly hotels in or near Cullman? (I’m not set on staying in Cullman if y’all have other suggestions.)

4. Best ramp near Cullman/your other suggested place to stay?

5. Tackle stores in the area if we run out of something?

6. Somewhere we MUST eat while in the area?

Thanks to all who respond!

2. Member
    I live on smith lake on jasper/walker county side. Nearly every tournament is won out of either rock or ryan creek. I would recommend staying in cullman as there is more to do and more tackle shops. Vans sporting good is on the way from cullman to smith lake park. They have just about anything you should need. Also mary carters and kampus has a good bit of tackle. Second week of march could be anything far as water temp but i would say 55-62ish. We could have a warm spell or a cold spell. Right now water is 52. Should be alot of prespawn spots or some may even be on bed. That time of year you can catch some good fish both heads and spots on jerkbaits. Water will most likely still not be at full pool so look for banks leading into spawning areas. I would also take a ball head with a small swimbait and cast it around as well as a jig
    Throw a shakey head and drop shot on points and around docks. Far as eating check out cujos pizza. If you put in at the dam it will be at the opposite end of dam road. Lawlers bbq in cullman is very good. Hope you have fun. That time of year you can have 50 plus fish days if you get on them.

3. Member
    Far as launching use smith lake park or the dam. Smith lake park will put you in the back of ryan creek and the dam will give you better access to the lower end of ryan and just a 5 minute ride to rock. When the fishing is on you do not even have to leave site of the dam

4. Member
    Rumors deli is one of the better places to eat in Cullman for sure.

5. Member
    When will the striper bite be good at Smith lake? thanks

6. Member
    Been catching several on accident every outing so must pretty good now

7. Member
    Thanks