F195 setup and max rpm..Need Info ASAP

All,

Trying to trouble shoot here. Been trying to get above 5800 rpms with my rig Working with Falcon, their last suggestion was to raise the manual jack plate all the way up, which I did, I am running a 200 HP SHO with a 24 pitch Solas Scorpion. With jackplate all the way up( prop to pad difference is 1 inch), it will reach 5800 rpm, but it takes a few minutes of running on a long straight away to reach 5800, then it will not go above 5800. That is with just me, all my gear, 1/2 tank of gas and live well empty, Speed it reached was 72 and water pressure was good, 17-18 psi. Water temp was 52. It just baffles me that I cannot break 5800 rpms at a quicker pace and maintain it. Let me know if this is with all F195s, if not what rpms are you reaching and with what engine and prop?

I love the boat, the way it handles rough water, the way it rides and handles, and stability while fishing. Just want to get the engine up to WOT rpms, to maximize the break in period especially.

Thanks

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

2. Member
    I still think you need to drop pitch. That 24p Scorpion is close to a 26p VMAX SHO prop, and not many 19' class boats out there can turn that much pitch with a 200hp motor. I seen that you may have a 24p Fury on the way, and that turns equivalent to a 25p VMAX SHO prop. Just be careful because that Scorpion will run higher than that Fury so using your current numbers could throw you off a bit. Your speed is very good however, and I would not expect much more out of that boat.

I also believe you could go up more on the plate, but once the water warms up you water pressure will drop too just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    I still think you need to drop pitch. That 24p Scorpion is close to a 26p VMAX SHO prop, and not many 19' class boats out there can turn that much pitch with a 200hp motor. I seen that you may have a 24p Fury on the way, and that turns equivalent to a 25p VMAX SHO prop. Just be careful because that Scorpion will run higher than that Fury so using your current numbers could throw you off a bit. Your speed is very good however, and I would not expect much more out of that boat.

I also believe you could go up more on the plate, but once the water warms up you water pressure will drop too just something to keep in mind.
    Randy,

Thanks for the info. The 24 Fury is on hold at this time. They are trying to work everything else out before swapping props. I also hoep the water pressure doesn't drop too much. I would like to get it setup and leave it alone, like it was with my Triton, I never had to swap props, engine height , etc..

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

4. Member
    It is just too much prop. Drop an inch gain 200 rpms and a touch of hole shot. I imagine the problem will get worse during the summer. With most other props you are going to want to go back down to 2-3 inches below the pad for best all around performance. I doubt I can turn that Scorpion prop anymore than you can with my 215/250. The other option is to have the prop worked by a good prop person. I have used Mark Croxton who is a board sponsor and his work was everything they said it would be. 72 is great speed for a 195 with a 200.

My first thought is prop as well. I had a 25 tempest on my last boat that acted the same way, I put a 24 Tempest on and WHAMO it was a night and day difference in holeshot, lift, speed everything. Can you borrow one to try? To me that's the easiest and the next logical step.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Which tach are you using, digital or analog?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Which tach are you using, digital or analog?
    All, thanks for the inputs. Got it worked out. Falcon sent me a 23P Fury.. I put it on the 195 yesterday and WOW. At first I left the last height adjustment along, Jack plate was high as it could be, 1 inch difference from prop to pad Test ran her.. She shot out of the hole, reached 70mph quickly, touched 6100rpms and wanted to keep going, so I couldn't trim motor all way , so kept it at 6000 rpms, reached almost 73mph (Half tank of gas, full tackle, live wells full), and handled very well, could take turns at full throttle.

Brought her home, lowered jack plate almost 2 inches. Went back , still good hole shot, rpms right at 6000, 72mps , but handling around turns not as good.

So , finally raised her up alil, to know the prop to pad is 1 inch and 3/4 quarters. I expect it to maintain good hole shot, handling come back, with good rpms and speed.

Overall, the prop made a huge difference..... once you get it setup, the boat rides very nice and handles well. It seems to love the higher motor position better, I have been told the SHOs love to run higher, and the Fury seemed to love it as well.

Only 1 bad thing from yesterday. I am not sure if Falcon or my dealer installed the original prop on the boat, but when I removed the cotter pin , the main nut was loose, I was able to twist it off with my hand (not good). I replaced props, tightened down everything, and I will be talking to Falcon (owner who has been helping me set it up, prop issues) and my dealer to inform them of this.

Hope this helps anyone on their setup or answering questions

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

Quote Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    Only 1 bad thing from yesterday. I am not sure if Falcon or my dealer installed the original prop on the boat, but when I removed the cotter pin , the main nut was loose, I was able to twist it off with my hand (not good). I replaced props, tightened down everything, and I will be talking to Falcon (owner who has been helping me set it up, prop issues) and my dealer to inform them of this.

Mine does the same thing from time to time, I tighten it with a prop wrench too. No biggie that's what you have a cotter pin.

Glad you got t worked out. It sounded like a prop issue and now that its close, you can really dial it in.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Mine does the same thing from time to time, I tighten it with a prop wrench too. No biggie that's what you have a cotter pin.

Glad you got t worked out. It sounded like a prop issue and now that its close, you can really dial it in.

Joe,

Yea, it still is scary. I had a Merc 150 for 17 years, never had that issue, took prop off numerous times, mx etc.. I think I have it right , we shall see how she rides and performs during next tourny.

Thanks

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    Only 1 bad thing from yesterday. I am not sure if Falcon or my dealer installed the original prop on the boat, but when I removed the cotter pin , the main nut was loose, I was able to twist it off with my hand (not good). I replaced props, tightened down everything, and I will be talking to Falcon (owner who has been helping me set it up, prop issues) and my dealer to inform them of this
    Not the first time I have seen this. Last one I saw was due to incorrect thrust washers. On square hub props like the Scorpion or Fury, the SHO uses 2 different types of hub kits. One of the hub kits which is p/n 835274Q1 using a 1 piece thrust washer P/N 12-853948T, and the other hub kit p/n 8M0075402 uses a 2 piece design. The standard Yamaha pressed hub prop uses a 2 piece design p/n 60X-45987-10-00 and p/n 60X-45995-00-00. P/N 60X-45987-10-00 uses another piece provided with hub kit 8M0075402, P/N 23-8M0064826 to complete the 2 piece design. P/N 23-8M0064826 that is included with 8M0075402 hub kit was missing. The first time I saw this it figured it was a coincidence seeing that loose prop nuts do happen. The second time it was discovered that the thrust washer P/N 60X-45987-10-00 was starting to wear down due to incorrect installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    Not the first time I have seen this. Last one I saw was due to incorrect thrust washers. On square hub props like the Scorpion or Fury, the SHO uses 2 different types of hub kits. One of the hub kits which is p/n 835274Q1 using a 1 piece thrust washer P/N 12-853948T, and the other hub kit p/n 8M0075402 uses a 2 piece design. The standard Yamaha pressed hub prop uses a 2 piece design p/n 60X-45987-10-00 and p/n 60X-45995-00-00. P/N 60X-45987-10-00 uses another piece provided with hub kit 8M0075402, P/N 23-8M0064826 to complete the 2 piece design. P/N 23-8M0064826 that is included with 8M0075402 hub kit was missing. The first time I saw this it figured it was a coincidence seeing that loose prop nuts do happen. The second time it was discovered that the thrust washer P/N 60X-45987-10-00 was starting to wear down due to incorrect installation.

Randy,

Thanks for the info. Be honest, not sure which kit they used, I know the prop fit on there good, sat perfectly, I tightened the nut down tight, and after few runs it is still tight. I will keep an eye on it. Dealer tried to tell me that that was normal. Not sure, as I am no expert. thanks again for the info. I will keep the kit numbers in mind in case I need to replace parts, etc....

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k