Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Left-handed shotgun question

I've been looking at getting a nice semi-auto shotgun for quite some time (I hunt with an old A5 Light Twelve, right-handed) and am really leaning towards getting an A400 Extreme Plus. Here's the kicker...I shoot left-handed so I'd like to finally get a left handed shotgun! Plus, my oldest son shoots left handed and my daughter is left-eye dominant!!! Arghh!! He shoots trap and she'll likely start trap next year. The A400 extreme plus isn't available in lefty yet but I was told prior to it's release that it will be. I've started looking at Fabarm's xlr5 waterfowler and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I know it's a 3-inch chamber but I don't need the 3 1/2's. I'd rather a gun handle 2 3/4 light loads better even if it meant no 3 1/2's. I would likely have to order one sight unseen which makes me nervous too.
    Other left-handed options are the inertias SBE-2 and Franchi Affinity, both very good guns but I don't think my kids will enjoy the kick or a Remington Versamax.
    Thoughts? Wait for the A400? Order a Fabarm? Anything else? Oh, this is a do-everything gun...trap, dove, duck, squirrel and once in a blue moon turkey and geese.
    Thanks!

2. Member
    I am a left handed guy too and leaning towards a Browning Citori. I currently have a Browning Gold Fusion and shoot awful with it. It's in my head now so my next gun will be either left handed or an O/U shimmed to fit me.

3. Banned
    I shoot a Remington 1100 left hand model, and it is a proven design and an all-around hassle-free weapon. Doesn't break the bank, either.

4. Member
    Agree on the 1100 but they no longer make them and they are crazy hard to find.

I wouldn't take anything for my SBE2. That's the best shotgun I've ever shot. It's all a personal thing of course, but my 13 yo son shot it a few times and he can't wait until he can get one.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

I would have no hesitation with the Fabarm. Buddy has a LS4 grey hunter and it is a darn good gun.

7. Banned
    No left handed experience. I shoot Benelli and Beretta autos. For volume shooting the Beretta is more enjoyable for sure. You have that part figured out though. I am considering an A400 Explor in a 28 ga, just because. If the kids want to shoot trap, get them trap guns, single shot, o/u or pump. Auto loaders are a pain on the trap range.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    I would have no hesitation with the Fabarm. Buddy has a LS4 grey hunter and it is a darn good gun.
    I've got an LS4 myself, and I agree.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yj99t04 View Post
    I wouldn't take anything for my SBE2. That's the best shotgun I've ever shot. It's all a personal thing of course, but my 13 yo son shot it a few times and he can't wait until he can get one.
    I love mine also and would not sell it.
    Last edited by bass8; 01-22-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: forgot word

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yj99t04 View Post
    I love mine also and would not sell it.

11. Member
    My dad shoots a Lefty Benelli Montefeltro and likes it a lot.

I shoot right handed and got a smokin deal on a Stoeger M3000. (subsidiary of Benelli)
    I have broke down both guns for full cleaning, It's amazing how close they are to each other considering his was $1129 and mine was $289
    Fit and finish is obviously a little different between them but they both shoot everything without any problems so far.
    2015 VT 17 w/ 75 4stroke Merc
    Garmin 106sv, Echomap Plus 73sv, & LVS34
    & lots of fish ;)

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Paduke View Post
    No left handed experience. I shoot Benelli and Beretta autos. For volume shooting the Beretta is more enjoyable for sure. You have that part figured out though. I am considering an A400 Explor in a 28 ga, just because. If the kids want to shoot trap, get them trap guns, single shot, o/u or pump. Auto loaders are a pain on the trap range.
    My oldest shot an A400 Excel (team gun, right-handed) last year for trap and really liked it. I was hoping to get a gun that can do all of it (trap, duck, etc.). Just curious, why do you say auto loaders are a pain on the trap range?
    Last edited by WPS456; 01-22-2019 at 09:25 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Paduke View Post
    That Beretta 28 is a beauty and shoots like a dream. I have used it on doves for the last three years and can’t wait to use it next year. Dropped one that stepped off 62 steps one shot. It weighs nothing and swings to the target pronto. But it wants to make you shoot it at everything because it is so much fun.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    Most oldest shot an A400 Excel (team gun, right-handed) last year for trap and really liked it. I was hoping to get a gun that can do all of it (trap, duck, etc.). Just curious, why do you say auto loaders are a pain on the trap range?
    Catching and/or picking up hulls is one issue (or someone else having to pick them up). Safety is the other. With lots of shooters around, it is easy to tell when a break action gun is in safe mode, where as auto loaders/pumps are not so obvious. They should be carried on the shoulder, barrel pointed at the sky, butt in palm, and the bolt locked open facing forward.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    My only hesitation is having to order a $2000 gun without actually ever holding it to see how it feels, shoulders, etc. I've heard they're a really nice gun though.

16. Member
    Wife is a leftie. She got a LH Benelli Montefeltro in 12ga first as at the time they were supposed to be the easiest kicking and we were both shooting 12's. It has been rock solid and has never jammed, misfired or failed to cycle with everything from light hand loads to Hevi Shot 3" shells.
    We later got her a 'higher end' Browning Citori in 16ga and had it custom fitted to her with two 'snap on, snap off' butt pads in different lengths for winter and summer shooting. Both are great shooters.

Ya can't beat Franchi if not I'd really wait for the A400 it would really be worth it ...

Buddy has a franchi afinnity, gets some misfires and jams. My less expensive stoeger m3000 has had zero over about 1500 shots. Not sure what the difference is, on paper the franchi is the better made gun.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Browning.... I shoot a maxxus and want a bunch of citoris.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

20. Member
    I'd personally wait for the lefty version. It all depends on how the gun fits you and what you value in a gun. In my book Benelli and Beretta are equally reliable, Beretta is a little heavier and softer shooting(get back on target quicker). Benelli is lighter, rocks you a little harder. I have had 2 Beretta A400 Xtreme's and never had a single hiccup with either. Put approx. 2800 rounds through the 1st, going on my 5th case through my current one. If 3.5" was no concern, I'd heavily consider a Benelli M2 also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast