Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post
    Rivera got 100% of the votes. Awesome! Nothing but class and the greatest pitcher.
    If he wasn't first ballot and 100% then I woulda lost what little faith I had in the voters...and I hate the Yankees lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

I agree with the picks. As far as Moose goes, he deserves it. He pitched his whole career during the steroid era. In the AL East! Still put up great numbers every year.

What surprises me is that Berkman and Oswalt are one and done. That's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by ardenbass View Post
    Never getting in and not just because he gambled on baseball.
    ^this^ So true because there is more to the Pete Rose story than gambling.
    A mistake on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

4. Member
    Messina,plays his whole career in Baltimore he has a tougher time getting in but he finished in NY. Used to be you need 300 wins to get in but now the number is around 250 and Moose had around 270. I think with bullpen use and more money spent on good staters nobody will get close to 300 wins.
    Red Sox in 6!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Bonds has no business in this group
    Greatest hitter of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    If it wasn't for the PED's I could agree on that. Sad thing about Bonds is if he did not do the PED's he would've been in the HOF, his numbers wouldn't have been as high, but in his pre-PED days the guy was a heckuva player.

Doc was a machine. I was lucky enough to watch many of his starts and he was almost a guaranteed win. Vernon Wells once said that he should bring a chair out to CF because when Doc pitched, he wasnt needed. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    A little surprised Roy H got in,his win total wasn’t great. He was a inning horse and had a couple of no hitters but just didn’t think his career was more than Really Good. Saw the Rocket and Bonds both got nearer to 75%.

8. Member
    Doc,was a complete game master and certainly a “ Horse” but 203 wins seems kinda light.
    Red Sox in 6!

The days of the 300 win starting pitcher appear to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    The days of the 300 win starting pitcher appear to be over.
    Agreed. The way bullpens are anymore a coach just goes to the pen any time a starter gets in a jam. Costs starters a lot of wins when they get yanked in the 4th or 5th inning.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    If he wasn't first ballot and 100% then I woulda lost what little faith I had in the voters...and I hate the Yankees lol
    Berkman and Oswalt were very good players. Hall of Famers, No way. Good, but not in the best of all time.

12. Member
    No doubt about that. If you threw a strike to Bonds it was gone. It was crazy to watch and it won't ever be duplicated.

All the players were juicing - pitchers, catchers, hitters, even middle infielders.
    2001 Ranger R71
    Merc 125
    MinnKota 74# Maxxum
    Humminbird 999
    Humminbird 859

13. Member
    Berkman and Oswalt were very good. If 203 wins is the new threshold look at pitchers like Koosmen,lolich and Tiant all with more wins than Doc and same era range. Trust me when I say this,I hated to see Doc when he faced the Red Sox.
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Mako231 View Post
    Berkman and Oswalt were very good players. Hall of Famers, No way. Good, but not in the best of all time.
    Might not have the creds to be HOF but being voted off the first year surprises me

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    If it wasn't for the PED's I could agree on that. Sad thing about Bonds is if he did not do the PED's he would've been in the HOF, his numbers wouldn't have been as high, but in his pre-PED days the guy was a heckuva player.
    exactly
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    Doc was a machine. I was lucky enough to watch many of his starts and he was almost a guaranteed win. Vernon Wells once said that he should bring a chair out to CF because when Doc pitched, he wasnt needed. RIP.
    I agree with you Aruss. Won the Cy Young in both leagues...one of only 6 guys to do that. Threw 67 complete games over 11 years...20 of which were shutouts. First guy since Ryan to throw multiple no-hitters in one season (perfect game and a no-hitter). He absolutely deserves to be in the HOF.

Hall of Fame without 2 of the greatest hitters ever?
    This is why I can't take the HOF seriously anymore.

On another thought.. I think I heard today on ESPN radio that the BBWAA used to not have their names tied to their decisions on voting, but now they do. Which would explain why Rivera got in unanimously. I think he deserves it, but there's plenty others in the past that deserves an unanimous decision as well.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    I agree with you Aruss. Won the Cy Young in both leagues...one of only 6 guys to do that. Threw 67 complete games over 11 years...20 of which were shutouts. First guy since Ryan to throw multiple no-hitters in one season (perfect game and a no-hitter). He absolutely deserves to be in the HOF.
    This ^ is why He was elected. A Cy Young in each league. A career ERA + of 131 which is better than Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax to name a few.

In 140 years of Major League baseball and 210,000 games played He threw one of only 23 Perfect games in MLB History in 2010.

One of only 2 pitchers in Major League History to throw a no hitter in post season play, 2010 Phillies / Reds game 1 of NLDS. The other was Don Larsen in 1956.

You'll probably never see another 300 game winner in MLB. Closest guy with even a remote chance is Justin Verlander with Houston. He'll be 36 when this season starts and has 204 wins. He would need to average 10 wins a season till He was 46 to get to 300.

Virtually all of the 300 game winners pitched when baseball used a 4 man rotation and they pitched with 3 days rest. Between the 5 man rotation and the way teams limit starters innings 225 wins will become the standard 300 used to be.

Well said Basscat7
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSCAT7 View Post
    This ^ is why He was elected. A Cy Young in each league. A career ERA + of 131 which is better than Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax to name a few.

In 140 years of Major League baseball and 210,000 games played He threw one of only 23 Perfect games in MLB History in 2010.

One of only 2 pitchers in Major League History to throw a no hitter in post season play, 2010 Phillies / Reds game 1 of NLDS. The other was Don Larsen in 1956.

You'll probably never see another 300 game winner in MLB. Closest guy with even a remote chance is Justin Verlander with Houston. He'll be 36 when this season starts and has 204 wins. He would need to average 10 wins a season till He was 46 to get to 300.

Virtually all of the 300 game winners pitched when baseball used a 4 man rotation and they pitched with 3 days rest. Between the 5 man rotation and the way teams limit starters innings 225 wins will become the standard 300 used to be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12