Replacing windows

So I ordered replacement windows for my upstairs. They are all older and drafty. What is the best product to fill the gaps with? Caulk or an insulation type spray?

2. Member

3. Member
    I agree with the non-expanding foam already suggested.

4. Scraps
    If the gaps are big, just plain old fiberglass bat insulation will do cut to fit. I installed new replacements in my entire house years ago. Old windows had the sash weights, removed those and jammed insulation into the cavities. Makes a big difference.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    This is what I was thinking but didnt know if it was the best..I piss my wife.off because I overkill all projects

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    This is what I was thinking but didnt know if it was the best..I piss my wife.off because I overkill all projects
    Read the directions and follow them and you'll be ok..... easy to overfill the gaps.

7. Member
    All of this is great but what’s your plan to seal off the outside? Assuming you have brick molding are you cladding with aluminum? What is your plan if you find rotten sills?

8. Member
    Flex seal I'm sure.
    Praying for a Cure

9. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    If the gaps are big, just plain old fiberglass bat insulation will do cut to fit. I installed new replacements in my entire house years ago. Old windows had the sash weights, removed those and jammed insulation into the cavities. Makes a big difference.
    Fiberglass batts aren’t an air stop. You’re better off with a minimally expanding closed cell foam on the interior, and a good silicone sealer on the outside

If ordered correctly should only need caulk
    Last edited by 59tomitriton; 01-22-2019 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 59tomitriton View Post
    If ordered correctly should only need caulk
    Yep. I replaced every window in our house with Anderson's. Slide em in, shim plumb, square. The ones where I replaced with bigger Windows --- make the RO to spec, same deal

12. Member
    Expanding foam made for Windows and doors. Like someone above said fiberglass is not an air seal.

You want to stick the straw in as far as you can. Short burst and move it. The more of the gap you can fill the better.

13. Member
    Expanding foam made for Windows and doors. Like someone above said fiberglass is not an air seal.

You want to stick the straw in as far as you can. Short burst and move it. The more of the gap you can fill the better.

14. Member
    Low expanding foam spray for door & windows.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    All of this is great but what’s your plan to seal off the outside? Assuming you have brick molding are you cladding with aluminum? What is your plan if you find rotten sills?
    Caulk on the outside of the windows.

16. Banned
    Had all my windows replace last year. They used expanding foam then flashing over them that they caulked. We live in a Very Windy area and they are solid.

Been a window installer for 31 years. Foam for your small areas as long as it's non expanding. If you have old wood windows after you remove the wood sashes remove the little jamb door on each side and take out weights and shove insulation up in the jamb pockets and replace jamb door. Seal on inside with silicone or painters caulk if painting. To finish properly on outside you should have the outside capped with aluminum coil but it will require someone with a brake to do it.
    2018 Skeeter ZX 250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250
    Minn Kota 112 Ultrex Link
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12 and Elite Ti 9
    Dual PP Pro Series II
    Atlas Hydraulic JP

18. Member
    If you foam the windows I would highly recommend to spend the money to buy a foam gun -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...0409/202892513

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...7273/202892495

That way you don't have to keep buying can every time you stop to do a window.