Tough Steering at Idle/Slow Speed...New Cables?

I have a 98 Nitro 700LX with a Mercury 125 and am having some tight steering at idle or slow speed (0-6 MPH). WOT and on plane it's very easy to steer. Wondering if I need new cables or need to lubricate it. This is my first boat and only issue with it in two years, so I apologize if this is a total noob question.
    Last edited by drscholl14; 01-22-2019 at 05:32 PM.

I had that issue with my '97 Nitro LX700 about a year ago. I had my mechanic completely clean / lube my steering cables. They worked like butter after.

One word of caution...he mentioned that cleaning may not fix it all. So we had an order of cables lined up.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

3. Member
    Possibly 20 year old cable order new , clean tilt tube , install new cable

4. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Perfect time to upgrade to hydraulic steering...
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Perfect time to upgrade to hydraulic steering...
    Sounds cheap! HA. I'd love to but not in the budget currently. What would it cost (ballpark) to upgrade to hydraulic? You've got me interested.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drscholl14 View Post
    Sounds cheap! HA. I'd love to but not in the budget currently. What would it cost (ballpark) to upgrade to hydraulic? You've got me interested.
    Around $600 for baystar which is for 150 hp and under, but most people don’t trust for 150. Sea star is for over 150 hp and is around $1200 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by drscholl14 View Post
    I put off changing the cables to hydraulic in my '98 Triton until they completely froze. I put on the SeaStar unit and kicked myself in the a$$ the first time I took it out. I get tight $$$ but save up till spring and do it, if you can make it work.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    Possibly 20 year old cable order new , clean tilt tube , install new cable
    Going this rout on an even older boat. Hydraulic is more spongy but easier to turn,and cables load the torque directly into the steering. I get positive feedback through the wheel. It depends on what you want and want to spend, and how long you’re planning on keeping the boat.
    Your particular boat is a candidate fore both.