Thread: Flukes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The 4/0 EWG Superline Gamakatsu hook has added the weight I needed to use one on a casting rod, thanks for the tip. I tried it out the last couple days on my golf course ponds and on my 7’ med/fast Carbonlite 2.0 combo I’m having no problems setting the hook even though this rod is a little light for any soft plastic normally.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I use braid with a micro swivel to 4' of floro. Never had any guide damage ever either.
    Proud Army Dad

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliehunter91 View Post
    If I switch to a spinning rod, I would go with a MH, especially since i use a 4/0 with them.
    I use the hook to control the fall, 4/0 or 5/0 EWG worm or a 5/0 or 6/0 Monster, all on casting gear.

4. Banned
    small spro barrel swivel, 8 lb Izorline XXX copolymer, line, spinning equipment

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    I use braid with a micro swivel to 4' of floro. Never had any guide damage ever either.
    Micro guides on your rod or regular ?

Quote Originally Posted by Smalliehunter91 View Post
    Micro guides on your rod or regular ?
    Regular guides.
    Proud Army Dad

7. Member
    I am cheap so I cut a 1 inch long piece of solder and insert into fluke body after fighting to 4/0 hook. Tried weighted belly style hooks, don't like on straight tail flukes but do use on swim flukes.

I’ve had a lot of luck removing the core from a rubber core sinker and squeezing it onto the hook shank. Started doing that when I figured out that Z-Man’s version of flukes would float a 5/0 Superline. I basically went away from Z-Man flukes pretty soon after trying them as I found that Elaztech likes to ball up on an EWG when Texas rigged leading to missed and lost fish, but the rubber core sinker for adding weight stuck around.

I don’t know why, but it seems like the action you get from doing that is better than with the weighted hooks. It almost has to be in my head - I can’t think of any reason why that would be different than a weighted hook. If nothing else, it allows for not carrying around a bunch of different weighted hooks if you want to try different weights.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    I fish flukes as a line through bait with a treble hook instead of a wide gap. Definitely helps the hook up rate. I run the wide gap through & then remove it & tie on a treble & stick one hook point through the back & then have two open on the bottom of the bait. Just a thought, but you could do any swim bait this way or even tie a leader from treble & run either a stinger hook or another treble further down the bait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12