Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choosing blades vs talons reasons?

Looking at purchasing blades or talons, 8ft blades either 10-12 on the talons. If you were one of the guys going back and forth what made you decide ? The money, customer service , no hydraulic or oil, weight, etc? Just going back and forth and I’m struggling! I do have an ultrex not that that would make a difference. Just curious on your reason as they may help me to decide!

2. Member
    I chose blades because they are lighter and if they get stuck in the down position, they are easy to retract. The customer service from Powerpole is also amazing.

3. Member
    Hey there Red, I just recently purchased a 12 ft talon. I was on the fence just like you were. I have a little 17ft G3 aluminum boat with a 70hp Yamaha. I was worried about loosing speed with getting two talons. I have the room for the blades. I was thinking about getting 2 10ft blades. For me, I didn't want to get the blades and wish I had the extra two feet. I have an ultrex as well. I have heard that power poles have a kick ass reputation on here. Talon has great customer service as well. I wasn't to worried about the hydraulic oil. I was worried about the weight, but for me I just stopped caring about speed. I only go 36 GPS MPH right now. I much rather stay in one place when I get there and loose 2-3 mph. I will post pictures in about a month when I get home with my Talon mounted. I plan on getting my second talon once I have my child. Good thing is that when I get my glass boat you best believe they are going with me haha. Good luck on your choice you'll be happy with either one.

4. Member
    I started with 1 - 12 foot Talon. Liked the idea of it being electric, the depth it could go and the option to tilt to get in the garage. One is way better than none but once you get one, you will want the second one. Bought the second one the next year and have been really satisfied with how well they hold and ease of use. I did have to go with a different prop to compensate for the extra weight. My hole shot is just as good as it was before. Mount as high in the bracket as you can to eliminate them dragging in the water.
    Just my opinion and experience
    John

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

7. Member
    I went with dual Power Poles over Talons based on weight. I had a single 12' Talon and the 2 poles w/ brackets together are about the same weight as a single talon and brackets. I have an Ultrex with spot lock so was willing to give up the depth difference.

Plus the Power Poles just look better to me, more compact and clean looking.

Put on a 2014 Bass Tracker 190TX

Many pros and cons to both brands but in the end they are both shallow water anchors that hold you in place. It's up to you to decide which brand best suits your needs. Given you have an Ultrex I would eliminate a 10 or 12 ft Talon but I would strongly consider a 8 ft Talon.

The reputation Minn Kota has for quality, ease of install, plus not having to install hydraulic lines or give up space to mount pumps is what swayed my decision to Talons. I have been on boats with Power Pole and I have to say they are a fine product but I made the right decision for me when I chose Minn Kota Talon. If I were to buy another boat and it had a set of Power Poles I would leave them on there. If I bought another boat that had no shallow water anchors I would install another set of talons. I have been told Minn Kota has good customer service. I cannot attest to that because I have never had to use it. Which to me is the best customer service you can have...never need it.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    I went with dual Power Poles over Talons based on weight. I had a single 12' Talon and the 2 poles w/ brackets together are about the same weight as a single talon and brackets. I have an Ultrex with spot lock so was willing to give up the depth difference.

Plus the Power Poles just look better to me, more compact and clean looking.

Put on a 2014 Bass Tracker 190TX

10. Member
    Some great information here guys I appreciate it very much and not making the decision any easier! Lol I’m swaying towards blades simply being lighter and a bit cheaper but I like the depth I can get with the talons. Sounds like the customer service on both side are great. One thing I don’t like with the power poles is the hydraulic oil and leaks, very messy and takes some space mounting them.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Red1993sol View Post
    Some great information here guys I appreciate it very much and not making the decision any easier! Lol I’m swaying towards blades simply being lighter and a bit cheaper but I like the depth I can get with the talons. Sounds like the customer service on both side are great. One thing I don’t like with the power poles is the hydraulic oil and leaks, very messy and takes some space mounting them.
    The new 2.0 model Power Poles feature real hydraulic lines as well as pre crimped factory hydraulic fittings... leaks are a thing of the past. They do not leak.. nor is there any mess. even the old Poles with the tubing 95 percent of leaks were caused by inproper install and not getting a square cut on the tubing making the ferrule and nut not seat properly. The pumps do take a little space in your bilge agreed ( 2 ) pumps about the footprint of (1) group 31 battery.. As far as customer service you may want to do your homework..(thats all ill say) I will tell you this you wont find one complaint about Power Poles. They set the bar in the customer service department. In the end a customer has to choose the right product for there needs be it Talon or Power Pole.

My fishing buddy and I bought shallow water anchors at the same time. I bought 8’ Blades and he bought 12’ Talons. We fish out of each others boat fairly often so I feel I have a good perspective. In short, blades are lighter and more aerodynamic. 8’ Blades hold well up to about 6.5’ of water. Blades look better. Talons hold better especially in strong current up to virtually the published depth. Talons are more easily removed and or tilted. They add a ton of weight directly to the transom which I do not like.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Reason I originally went with 8' Talons in 2011 was because I was intending to buy a small lakes boat (Bass Tracker). It took me approximately 5 minutes to switch the Talon from one rig to the other. Nothing against PP, but the additional $1700 of having to buy another anchor made the difference. That being said, last Jan, I purchased an Ulterra, and this past Jan 2018, I purchased 15' Talons. It was the right decision for me. There is ways to modify the Talon if you are using their beefed up brackets. One; you can attach a Twist Step emergency ladder to it. (shown above in the stickies), the other is: You would need Tilt Brackets in addition to the heavy duty jackplate brackets.

Good luck.

Ernie

14. Member
    I've owned both blades and talons. Talons for me all the way. Quieter, faster, and deeper holding depth. Talons will also hold you better in waves. The poles are lighter for sure, but to me the talon wins out.

Anyone know what the weight comparison really is? Just wondering what 10' pp's weigh with pump, hose's a bracket and the pole itself probably not a huge difference. I went 10' Talons the one thing I like is they deploy straight down they just seem to be a little more out of the way. IMO the only advantage to pp's are they look a little better and "possibly" the weight comparison.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 96MrBass View Post
    Anyone know what the weight comparison really is? Just wondering what 10' pp's weigh with pump, hose's a bracket and the pole itself probably not a huge difference. I went 10' Talons the one thing I like is they deploy straight down they just seem to be a little more out of the way. IMO the only advantage to pp's are they look a little better and "possibly" the weight comparison.
    (10ft Blade) is only 35.7 lbs completely installed but only 27.7 lbs on the transom a set of braced brackets require for 10 footers are 12.5 pounds each. Total on transom weight for a PAIR of 10 foot blades with braced brackets is only 80.4 pounds. Total weight added to boat w pumps etc 96.4 on a 10 foot blade setup (powerpoles heaviest model)
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 01-23-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Kevin, I fish the Upper Bay a lot and noticed poles are sometimes crooked when they come back to weight in is this due to install? Thanks

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Crooked as in not straight like were before?.. def check all your bolts cant see them moving from straight to crooked and back.. if need be loosen up mounting bolts make them straight retighten.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 01-23-2019 at 06:25 PM.

19. Member
    Talon #1 reason was depth, then money. Even having an ultrex, I would not give up the holding depth especially when fishing along steep banks. But that is a situation that is tailored to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Crooked as in not straight like were before?.. def check all your bolts cant see them moving from straight to crooked and back.. if need be loosen up mounting bolts make them straight retighten.
    Not on my rig but noticed it on other's. I've seen it several times kinda cockeyed looking. Figured they may be loose or install poorly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast