Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Legend Boats Overview

I have been doing some searching for a new bass boat (new to me anyways) and stumbled upon the Legend brand. There is a nice used Alpha 199 in my general area and it sure is a sharp looking boat. After doing some research on here it appears as though they are no longer in business or something and I am wondering if someone can clarify that for me. If they are not made anymore, how concerning is that in regards to future parts or service? Does that affect their value much and is there any major concerns I should have about owning one? I really appreciate any insight you guys could provide me with about the brand and anything in general about them.

-Tim
    Last edited by tim_kovar; 01-22-2019 at 02:56 PM.

2. Banned
    I can tell you when news came out they wouldn't be producing a 2019 model the number of them for sale took a quick spike upward and the resale price on them has dropped some.

3. Member
    I have a 2013 Alpha 211DC, I have not had any problems with the boat. They are well made and would not hesitate to buy another one. As you stated, they were bought buy Johnny Morris and he stopped production. Go ride in it, at the end you will be happy. As far as service, the motor and trailer, motor through my Merc mechanic, trailer I service myself. I can still buy trailer parts through EZ Loader Trailer. I have no major concerns of the boat, hope this helps you out.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

4. Antique Tackle Guy
    Tim,

I have a 2013 Alpha 199 with a 14, 225 Pro XS. The factory has been converted to Triton boats. Call Pete at the factory ask him about Warranty. I am the second owner and the warranty was transferred prior to Legend going away. The Boat is solid and will be around for many years to come. The seats,Covers are now available from Deans Canvas, as Coops above wrote all of the other Motor Trailer etc are available. I would not hesitate to buy another. This was a boat that was well made, perhaps in some cases too well!

Regards

Mark P

5. Member
    I bought my Alpha 199 this summer after the buyout. I waited 13 years to buy a Legend (Needed to save the money), Once I heard they weren't building anymore I did what needed to be done to own one before it was too late. It is without question the best bass boat I have owned. Fit and finish is second to none. I have called Legend (White River) a few times since buying the boat. And Pete has always answered my questions. No problems at all with the boat, I would buy another if I could, sure is a shame that they are gone, best bass boat in the world in my opinion. Mercury doesn't care what brand boat its on, so your good there. If the boat you are looking at fits your needs, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Buy it and never look back.

6. Member
    IMO (which doesn't count for much) my Alpha is more valuable. Legends have entered the unobtanium class.

7. Member
    I owned two 199’s, loved them both and I would be in one now if they wouldn’t have priced themselves out of business. The ride, fit and finish are second to none. 71 mph was the best I could get, but my buddy has a hyd jackplate and got 74 mph before he put poles on. I believe they would still be in business if they would have stuck with the 199 and 211 instead of banking on the “V” series which put them way overpriced.
    Pool 10

How do you figure they "priced themselves out of the market"?

9. Member
    Bought my first legend out the door for $33k in 2007, two years ago they wanted 55k for the same boat. I think a 22k increase in 10 yrs is a little much.
    Last edited by Mc Gregor; 01-28-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    Pool 10

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    I believe they would still be in business if they would have stuck with the 199 and 211 instead of banking on the “V” series which put them way overpriced.
    This, the V models had issues that is what put them under I think

Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    Bought my first legend out the door for $33k in 2007, two years ago they wanted 55k for the same boat. I think a 12k increase in 10 yrs is a little much.
    I still love that 2007. I've looked at other boats and honestly there isn't one out there that appeals to me as much as mine. Imma keep it forever!

12. Member
    the reason the v boats has so many issues is there was no engineering dept like most boat manufacturers have .

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    the reason the v boats has so many issues is there was no engineering dept like most boat manufacturers have .

14. Member
    I had a 2009 199. I would buy another one today if I could afford one. Best boat I've ever been in. If the boat was well cared for then the only thing you should have to worry about are components that can easily be sourced on the internet. Life's short, buy the boat.

there's quite a bit of improvements from the le-> alphas. Is it worth 22k price jump? the comparable rangers, skeeters, bullets, even tritons and nitros year to year cost the same and a lot of the time more. I don't think they priced themselves out, they were a boutique, high quality boat. When a triton goes for 60k+, 55k for a legend seems like an absolute steal.

16. Member
    The GM that Legend had just prior to the sell off drove Legend down. Legend (GM) didn't listen to the guys building the boats who had the knowledge and the know how to do things right. Legend got devalued and was put in a position that made it easy for them to get sold. The leadership (GM) for the last 1-2 years prior to the sell off totally messed it up. Then the new owners totally lied to the entire Legend family. "Nothing will change" "Legend is here to stay" "JM wants a elite boat line". They screwed all their dealers. After Dean left things started to go down on the management side for sure.

I still love my V20 tho! I couldn't find another boat that I liked enough to replace it, so I upgraded the electronics and plan to keep it for at least another year or 2. I wish I would've ordered a V20I prior to the buy out.
    Johnny
    "Short Brown & Round"

Sun Tropic Outdoors & Shooting Team

17. Member
    I had a 2006 LE21 for 5 years. Was without a boat nearing 3 years and end of summer last year bought an Alpha 211R well after the buy out. There isn’t anything on the boat that can’t be replaced if needed, maybe not every logo, and some of the details related to Legend being on them (keypad for one with the logo on it).I didn’t hesitate a second in my choice. Fiberglass is fiberglass and can be repaired, carpet is carpet, and upholstery is upholstery. Everything else needed on a boat is sourced out, pumps, motors, trolling motors, graphs, etc. If the boat fits, buy it. They are head turners and wont lose value. My 2006 has since sold again for more than I sold it for.
    2014 Legend Alpha 211R 250 Mercury ProXS

18. Member
    What would it have sold for new when the company was still in business?
    2018 V-20, standard factory offerings plus Yamaha v-max 250, Lowrance carbon HDS 9 & 12 w/GPS antenna and keel guard.

19. Member
    the prices on legend boats was are all over the place nada had them priced higher than you could go to a dealer an buy a new one . they had about half their production sales in team boats so that hurt the sales of new ones.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    there's quite a bit of improvements from the le-> alphas. Is it worth 22k price jump? the comparable rangers, skeeters, bullets, even tritons and nitros year to year cost the same and a lot of the time more. I don't think they priced themselves out, they were a boutique, high quality boat. When a triton goes for 60k+, 55k for a legend seems like an absolute steal.
    Depends on the year model LE, the late 2000's LE's were just as nice as the early Alphas but your right the early LE models were basically a Hawk. My brother neighbor had a 2007 LE, I got to crawl all in and under it and let me tell you the fit and finish on that boat was second to none.
    Last edited by bossbowman; 02-06-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast