Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 Z518L Top Speed?

Has anybody ran this boat with a 200 Pro XS 4Stroke? Just curious on overall handling and and what kind of speed.

2. Member
    Also what prop are you running, Ranger said they will put on a 22p Tempest.

22 tempest is not the right prop. That thing will be spinning over 6000
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

4. Member
    What would and others suggest for a new 518 L with a 200 Pro XS 4s with a 10 inch jack plate, Ranger said they will put on a 22 tempest.

Last edited by Z518 Comanche; 01-22-2019 at 05:17 PM.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    22 tempest is not the right prop. That thing will be spinning over 6000
    believe the new 4 strokes are ment to spin 6200 arent they?

7. Member
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

8. Member
    I hit 72 with my '14 518c but couldn't catch any fish

9. Member
    Yes

10. Member
    According to Ranger chief rigger the Pro XS 200 4 stroke runs best at the upper end of the rpm’s and that is 6,200.
    Last edited by botrdav; 12-01-2019 at 01:39 PM.

11. Member
    I've had mine for 3 weeks now. Still breaking in the motor. 8.5 hrs now. Jumps right out of the water. Top speed so far is 65.5 with just me in it. 1/2 tank of gas. Sunday I fished a tournament, 2 people, full tank of gas, live-wells full, 62.5 mph. And ran out of Gas. Internet say's it holds 39 gallons. Dealer said 37 gallons. After I got towed in, went straight to the gas station. It took 34.9 gallons. Theirs no way I burned 35 gallons going only 60 miles round trip. And not wide open either. Dealer is going to install a new gas guage. Dealer also say's the 1st 10 hrs of break in it will burn more gas. Right now it's a gas hog. We will see after the 10 hr break in. Also found out today that the Hot Foot might need an adjustment. Dealer say's I might only be getting 80 % throttle. They have to adjust the hot foot. I Love the boat, it's a heavy boat. I hope the speeds come up a little. Also going to try a 23 pitch prop soon. Just to see what happens. I got a radio in this boat, not happy with it so far. Blue-tooth works great, but trying to get a radio station is terrible. Ranger said the antenna might have come loose . Dealer will check it out soon. New Boat, has to be tuned in. lol.

12. Member
    Any followup number on these rigs? I'd think that the 518 with a 200 would carry it into the mide to high 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassdaddy60 View Post
    I've had mine for 3 weeks now. Still breaking in the motor. 8.5 hrs now. Jumps right out of the water. Top speed so far is 65.5 with just me in it. 1/2 tank of gas. Sunday I fished a tournament, 2 people, full tank of gas, live-wells full, 62.5 mph. And ran out of Gas. Internet say's it holds 39 gallons. Dealer said 37 gallons. After I got towed in, went straight to the gas station. It took 34.9 gallons. Theirs no way I burned 35 gallons going only 60 miles round trip. And not wide open either. Dealer is going to install a new gas guage. Dealer also say's the 1st 10 hrs of break in it will burn more gas. Right now it's a gas hog. We will see after the 10 hr break in. Also found out today that the Hot Foot might need an adjustment. Dealer say's I might only be getting 80 % throttle. They have to adjust the hot foot. I Love the boat, it's a heavy boat. I hope the speeds come up a little. Also going to try a 23 pitch prop soon. Just to see what happens. I got a radio in this boat, not happy with it so far. Blue-tooth works great, but trying to get a radio station is terrible. Ranger said the antenna might have come loose . Dealer will check it out soon. New Boat, has to be tuned in. lol.
    Best thing you can do is install a Mercmonitor if you have a Mercury or similar gauges are made for other outboards it will show total gallons used that trip and how much fuel you are using while making a long run so you can adjust speed or trim for the best fuel economy (gas gauges on boats are useless). if still in doubt about tank size have the dealer pull the passenger seat the size tank will be on the manufacturers info sticker.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

14. Member
    2020 Z518
    200 Pro XS 4stroke
    8" slidemaster JP
    22p fury
    5 hrs on motor
    factory settings (sort of (read below))

Numbers as it came from Ranger (2people, full tourney load, 1/2 tank fuel)
    61 MPH (GPS) @ 5700 RPM, full trim

Numbers did not seem right so I called Ranger and went over the set up.
    We discovered that the motor was mounted to the jack plate in the 2nd hole from the top and not the 3rd on the motor.
    Per Ranger the best overall performance set up is the motor mounted in the 3rd hole from the top with the jack plate flush on top.

I am making the adjustment on the jack plate to bring the pad to prop number to what Ranger stated is best for overall performance, then we will go for tuning further if needed.
    Last edited by 2020 z518; 11-29-2019 at 04:28 PM.

[QUOTE=2020 z518;10682240]2020 Z518
    200 Pro XS 4stroke
    8" slidemaster JP
    22p fury
    5 hrs on motor
    factory settings (sort of (read below))

Numbers as it came from Ranger (2people, full tourney load, 1/2 tank fuel)
    61 MPH (GPS) @ 5700 RPM, full trim

Numbers did not seem right so I called Ranger and went over the set up.
    We discovered that the motor was mounted to the jack plate in the 2nd hole from the top and not the 3rd on the motor.
    Per Ranger the best overall performance set up is the motor mounted in the 3rd hole from the top with the jack plate flush on top.

I am making the adjustment on the jack plate to bring the pad to prop number to what Ranger stated is best for overall performance, then we will go for tuning further if needed.[/QUOTEi would think lowering the motor would make you lose some speed. Ranger, is smarter than I am though.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

16. Member
    [/QUOTEi would think lowering the motor would make you lose some speed. Ranger, is smarter than I am though.

No not lowering motor, raised it 3/4", they ,mounted it into the 2nd hole from top when they said they should of used the 3rd from the top on the motor mounting plate.(ie.. 3/4" higher)
    So I have the jack plate raised up to be equal to that set up.
    I will know more tomorrow, I am spending the day on the lake tuning. Will update when done.

I am running a 19 518L 200 Pro XS TM w/ a 22 Tempest Plus. Pad to prop is just under 3 in ( I have tried up to 2.5 down to 3.5 )with a 6 plate. During the summer I was struggling to get more than 5800+ rpms and now with the cold water I have been able to break 6000 rpms ( close to 6100) with me and 3/8 to 1/2 tank. I have learned that this boat for me has a incredible amount of lift and have found that if I do not over trim the boat I will get better top end speeds. The boat has never been squirrelly until I was able to break that 6000 mark on a long run, while it was manageable I believe that it was the limit for this boat at a top end. I love this boat and feel that I could not ask for any more performance than what it gives me. It’s real attraction is how big it fishes with the trolling motor down !
    Last edited by mbeachy; 12-02-2019 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Verified size

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

18. Member
    Ran the boat in several settings on Sunday, both raising and lowering the motor from the original settings from Ranger.
    Gained and lost 1-2 MPH depending on settings.
    RPM never changed. Looking into hot foot throttle adjustment.

19. Member
    Update, took the boat in and had the hot foot and the throttle cables adjusted so it should now reach 100% WOT (tech said it was at 89%). Taking it out on Sunday to run it.
    Will update again with performance after this weekend.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdaddy60 View Post
    I ran a 200 4 stroke for about 6 months and in my opinion it liked the drink the gas. Just my observation but at times I could almost watch the gas hand move. Much harder than my 250 2 strokes seemed to be but just my opinion. Motor is crazy strong and more powerful than the 2 stroke so that makes up for some some fuel usage I guess.
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast