Any Skeeter to Ranger owners here?

Any Skeeter to Ranger owners here? I bought a new 2018 Skeeter FX20 last year mainly due to styling (suits me) and the 4 stroke (merc 4 stroke wasn't available at the time. But starting to wonder about build quality. The aluminum top cap and plastic compartments just seem cookie cutter and not sturdy nor is it put together well. Lots of rough cuts on the underside when you poke your head into the main compartments.

Ranger just seems to have a solid one piece, everything fiberglass. just wondering if any skeeter owners switched due to build quality

2. Member
    I had a Skeeter once. It was a great boat to fish from and I liked the compartment layout. But the rough fiberglass in the 'unseen places', low speed porpoising and 'sliding' when trying to maneuver around docks, etc. all drove me nuts.

My bass boat path has been mostly 19'ers w/200's ......... Ranger 391v - Skeeter ZX190 - Ranger 518vx - Xpress X19 - Ranger Z520. I'm glad to be back in a Ranger.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

3. Member
    I had a Skeeter 21i prior to my Ranger Z521C. The Skeeter was a good boat but the Ranger is a great boat. I would not switch back if that answers your question.

4. Member
    I will say Skeeter builds a very nice boat as I have had 3 of them. My last 2 boats have been Rangers and current have a 2019 Z520L I ordered sitting at the marina until spring. I can honestly say the quality, performance, ride and space on a Ranger are hands down way better. Of course this is only my opinion but would guess others who have switched would say about the same thing. But of course there is a price tag that comes with the quality your wanting. Good luck in your search for what your looking for.

5. Member
    Left Skeeter after 5 years and returned to Ranger. Initial quality and overall ride are better in the Ranger. Once all the “bugs’ are lined out of the Skeeter it’s a good boat but I prefer the feel and ride of the Ranger. Same preference in terms of quality.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

6. Banned
    My partner has a fx21....it rides better than my 520L.....still glad I chose the Ranger for all the things mentioned above....

7. Member
    I fish with a dude that has had multiples of both as well as a few others. He will be trading his fine as all get out FX21LE for a fine as all get out 520L real soon.

8. Member
    I've had two Skeeters. A 19' 1999 and 21' 2003. Great boats. Then I test drove Ranger Z21 Comanche, and traded the bug a week later. The finish work and stability with the trolling down on the Ranger was unmatched.
    2005 Z21 Comanche Yamaha VMax 250HPDI

9. Member
    I had a 2014 FX 20 and a 2016 FX 21 LE. I am now in a 521c Ranger. Both make great boats. I loved the SHO/FX combo. Rode second to none. The fit and finish of the Ranger is years ahead of the Skeeter build. I agree... the compartments, lids, coolers, etc. are cheaply made for the price you have to pay. The ultimate reason I left Skeeter was when I went back to trade for a 2019 model I was told that I would have been better off if I had of bought a ZX instead of an FX due to how much I was fixing to lose. Really????? When I was buying the boat, I was sold on how much better the FX was over the ZX????? I am back in a Ranger and will stay in one for a while. My two cents...

Had a 2010 FX 21 and then a 2016 ZX225. I’m now in a Z519C. I really enjoyed them, they were stable and the ride on both boats was smooth but the build quality, fit and finish on the Ranger are ands down the best you’ll find.

11. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Had a Skeeter, now a Ranger. All I can say is the Skeeter is a nice boat but it's not a Ranger. Ever notice while on a lake fishing and you suddenly hear a boat coming down the lake and it's noisy as all get out. Sounds like it resonating noise through the hull and making a loud splashing sound. When you look over your shoulder and what do you see? It's either a Skeeter or a Nitro. Not bashing, but like Jack Webb used to say "just the facts mam"

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67