OIF report released

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...20Bird%20Brief

The fall out may prove interesting. It’s not like people in and around the military haven’t been saying these things for years.

2. Member
    There was a failure of leadership at the highest levels. The Canadian Army Principal of War #1 is "Selection and maintenance of the Aim." It means you need to have a plan for what you want to accomplish and the politicians and senior leadership keep the soldiers and citizens on track in support of that outcome. This brings to mind a favorite saying of mine, "If you don't know where you are going, how will you know when you get there?" This seems to be the state we have been in since we invaded Iraq. We really didn't know what we wanted to accomplish and therefore could not create the right force structure as a means to an end. One more favorite quote applies as well: Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please. Niccolo Machiavelli Quote. 16 years and counting.

3. Member
    I like my WWI grandfathers quote, "Politicians will send you to war but don't expect them to join you in war. Politicians call it leading the war from afar".

4. Member
    Vets have been feeling this way since Korea.....We lost alot of good soldiers over there (Iraq) and alot are still suffering from the Post war struggles...both mentally and physically....I stay sane trying to remember I was there to lead and take care of the soldiers in my Company...

One thing I will say about the Brits...They have sent their leadership to war for Centuries......

The picture of the 3rd ID Bradleys sitting in front of the Road sign...That was my AO and we deployed at the same time as the 3rd ID.....
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 01-25-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Vets have been feeling this way since Korea.....We lost alot of good soldiers over there (Iraq) and alot are still suffering from the Post war struggles...both mentally and physically....I stay sane trying to remember I was there to lead and take care of the soldiers in my Company...

One thing I will say about the Brits...They have sent their leadership to war for Centuries......

The picture of the 3rd ID Bradleys sitting in front of the Road sign...That was my AO and we deployed at the same time as the 3rd ID.....
    Then I was there just after you. We were attached to 1st ID for OIF II. Trained up at Ft Stewart while 3rd ID was away. We at least had the up armor on our Bradleys. Not on our trucks though. I have a pic of me standing in the back of a high back humvee with the top removed and a M60 improvised onto a mount. Good times!
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2