Why are the NFL overtimes games structured to only one possession of the football

I can't think of any other sport that both teams or person in an overtime type situation that is so lopsided, in baseball you have extra innings both team play one inning of offense and defense at least once, basketball both team have an the ability to play both offense and defense, Hockey has overtime and both teams play both offense and defense. I don't like how thousands of man hours of playing all the regular season games basically came down to a coin flip and one possession of the football with no rebuttal of an offensive play from the other team.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

2. Member
    it's a continuation of the game not a new game - they shouldn't even have overtime they should just keep playing.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratltrap View Post
    I can't think of any other sport that both teams or person in an overtime type situation that is so lopsided, in baseball you have extra innings both team play one inning of offense and defense at least once, basketball both team have an the ability to play both offense and defense, Hockey has overtime and both teams play both offense and defense. I don't like how thousands of man hours of playing all the regular season games basically came down to a coin flip and one possession of the football with no rebuttal of an offensive play from the other team.
    If KC would have held NE to a field goal, they would have gotten the ball after a kick off. It's only one possession if the first team scores a touchdown. I like the college rules where you start at the other teams 25 yard line and run plays. No matter what happens the other team also starts at the 25 yard line and runs plays. If the first team scores the second team gets a chance to match the score. If the first time kicks a field goal, the second team can score a touchdown and win. If they also kick a field goal to tie, they start all over at the 25 and each have another turn.
    It makes for more coaching as well in the choices made.
    Ken

I think when the NFL did go to the tie breaker format it was called Sudden Death. First team scores wins.

5. Banned
    It’s just a dumb. It used to be really dumb, now they have upgraded it to just dumb.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Time! They have to keep the games as close to 3 hours 10min as possible. As long as they’re in “normal” TV the channels won’t have a football game interrupting normal programming.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Member
    Cuz NFL sucks
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    I think when the NFL did go to the tie breaker format it was called Sudden Death. First team scores wins.
    Yes that was the old way

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reclending.com View Post
    If KC would have held NE to a field goal, they would have gotten the ball after a kick off. It's only one possession if the first team scores a touchdown. I like the college rules where you start at the other teams 25 yard line and run plays. No matter what happens the other team also starts at the 25 yard line and runs plays. If the first team scores the second team gets a chance to match the score. If the first time kicks a field goal, the second team can score a touchdown and win. If they also kick a field goal to tie, they start all over at the 25 and each have another turn.
    It makes for more coaching as well in the choices made.
    Ken
    This makes so much more sense that both teams would get their hands on the ball, and as far as a continuation of the game....naw, I don't buy that one. They say at the coin toss that this is a brand new game, that is why they do a coin flip.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

See if you know this

Heide....

11. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    See if you know this

Heide....

A dark day in broadcasting history.
    Who controls John Gill?

And you can't delay Heide having a 2 hr. OT.