Banned

Ultrex collar slip / poor design

Just installed a 36v Ultrex on my Phoenix and noticed the depth adjustment collar is a POS. Brand new unit and the collar flexes like a body builder in a house of mirrors. Did some research and looks like this is an issue others have experienced as well. I'm sure Minn Kota is aware of it because they designed the POS. Has anyone found a more robust replacement, maybe the Fortrex clamp?

thx

djd

There is a previous thread about this issue where a split collar is used. I don’t understand why they didn’t use the Fortrex clamp. It works great.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    If you are not satisfied with your product call Minn Kota and voice your concern about your problem. Bitching on here will not help solve the issue.
    As for the Fortrex clamp, it has to have the notches on the clamp to have the steering module turn the motor.

4. Banned
    Called MK, tech guy wasn't aware of anything being worked on. I let him know my displeasure... Tech stated the Fortrex clamp wouldn't work.

As previously posted (after my bitching), Has anyone found a more robust replacement, maybe the Fortrex clamp?

You can purchase a split collar from any bearing store to place above the factory clamp. This will limit the depth to which it will slip, but it will be inconvenient if you want to move it on the water.
    This link is interesting as well:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=Ultrex+clamp
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 01-23-2019 at 04:12 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I did this on my MG Tour and it worked to keep it from slipping and turning.....took a bicycle tire tube, cut a piece that was as long as the clamp and then wrapped it around the shaft then closed the door....it from that point, it never moved......try it out and see if it works with the Ultrex.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Back in July saw this post about the slipping issue. I did the same thing, works great.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=ultrex+clamp
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

8. Member
    Back in July saw this post about the slipping issue. I did the same thing, works great.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=ultrex+clamp
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><