Thread: Lynx Ride

Lynx Ride

Hello Bass Cat gang,

I currently own a deep-v multispecies boat, but I am getting more and more into bass fishing and ready to make the switch into my first bass boat. I am looking for a big water bass boat with big decks and a smooth ride. I recently spent a day in a Phoenix 21 PHX and that is just what I am looking for, it's a battleship- it has huge decks and a really smooth ride, in fact it smoothed the big chop better than my deep-v. I was really impressed. I have never been in a Skeeter FX 21 but according to my research they ride pretty good also, but not quite as wide of decks as the Phoenix 21 PHX. I don't care about speed. I never really gave Bass Cat a look until just recently and I noticed that the Basscat build quality is definately far superior to other brands. This has me taking a closer look. The Lynx seems to be the boat from Bass Cat that may best suit my needs.

Ride quality is my number one criteria. I am looking for comments on the ride quality of the Lynx compared to the Phoenix PHX 20/21 or 920/921 or Skeeter FX 20/21.

Thanks.

2. Member
    may want to post this on Phoenix board also. I will be a Phoenix guy and love the ride. I have never ridden in a Lynx so maybe someone who has can comment.

3. Member
    BC is coming out with a new Jaguar lay out and its closer to the size of the Phoenix 921 series.

I would call Helm Marine and talk with them, the Lynx is a great riding boat, but with the kind of money the Lynx and PHX cost I would drive both before deciding. I've got a Lynx and love it.

The Lynx ride is great. I recently rode in a good chop and the Lynx was impressive. Keep that nose down and it just eats up the waves.

6. Bobby8
    I can’t vouch for other brands but the folks at Basscat are fantastic. I think you will find a lot of the same thoughts if you do a threat search here and on the owner’s forum at Basscat.com.

7. Member
    I have owned both the other brands your asking about and far as the ride in the rough stuff and I own a Basscat now but ride wise in my honest opinion it goes Phoenix then Basscat and they are close and if ride is what your more concerned about then those two is what you should look at Skeeter isn’t anywhere close in ride.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    I have owned both the other brands your asking about and far as the ride in the rough stuff and I own a Basscat now but ride wise in my honest opinion it goes Phoenix then Basscat and they are close and if ride is what your more concerned about then those two is what you should look at Skeeter isn’t anywhere close in ride.
    Are you comparing apples to apples? You're in a Caracal.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    Are you comparing apples to apples? You're in a Caracal.
    I been in others not a Lynx yet but the other big BassCat yes so no I’m not comparing it solely from my boat.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

I love my ride in a Jaguar.

11. Member
    Hydro, if you get to the Minneapolis area in April or after let me Know and I will be glad to get you out for a ride on Minnetonka. There is a Lynx at the Minneapolis Boat Show this weekend in the Hannays Booth. come on down and check it out.

12. Member
    Hydro - I have ridden in and gone through both boats with respect to build techniques and quality. I would never denigrate anyone's boat company as every boat has an owner and/or prospective buyer. I am a big water angler and ride was my number one criteria when I purchased - followed by quality of build, then layout (speed was not in the evaluation criteria). For me the ride on the Lynx was a better fit for my style and desires. Phoenix makes a good boat - no denying that. However, for my style and goals BCB and the Lynx won the bid - hands down. PM me if you have specific questions.

13. Member
    I know Helm Marine in Aberdeen have a Lynx on the floor. Give Mike or Scott a call if you have any questions.
    Dave

14. Member
    Hydro,

I'm a dealer for both Bass Cat and Phoenix west of you here in Washington and have spent considerable time in all the models you mentioned. Although the PHX models are wide the Bass Cat Lynx is actually 20-22" wider at the front of the deck than a PHX. The larger Phoenix are great in big water 921 and 21 PHX. The Lynx can't quite compare to those two models in length as it's under 21' but it does compare in ride, handling, and offers comparable storage and is more nimble in cornering than the PHX and 921. The Bass Cat does offer better carpeting than the Phoenix, a full width transom that is thicker than the Bird, and comes with the best warranty in the business, and is very good in chop. You can always contact Mike Dominick in Montana for a ride in the Lynx as he is currently running an 18 model with a 250 Yamaha. I also have driven the Skeeter FX and it doesn't come close to ride quality when comparing the above two brands. Best way to put it is that the Skeeter is a great straight line boat. But don't turn the FX sharply as you may be sitting with the passenger on the turn as I have experienced at high speed.

15. Member
    I just went to the boat show here in St. Louis . After looking at all the bass boats over there Phoenix would be on the bottom of my list . To much 1980 1990s plastic cheap ass dashes ,nose cap and plastic inserts in the boxes . Plus a lower grade carpet . . I have owned boats in the 80s & 90s . Plastic cracks ,fades and the screws holding them on continuously back out . Cheap cheap and they sell that cheap stuff at premium price . Basscat all the way .