Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Active image vs Mega

Anyone has done any comparison?

2. Member
    A couple guys on facebook run both Bird and Lowrance Live on there boats, they said the ActiveImaging is on par with mega and prefer to use ActiveImaging now because you can view much farther left and right than mega.

There was some screenshots they posted on FB. It was real close as far as image quality. The screen shots were different frequency combination comparisons.

I hear that Bird has increases the range slightly on there new Mega+ capable units, but I have not seen any comparisons yet.

I'd like to see how they compare in shallow water. Less than 10 ft

4. Member
    The difference in frequency is exactly why the 3-1 works better. The higher the frequency, the less distance it will travel. Lowrance found a way to get the same or better image quality through the lower frequency range. HB does something weird with their units as well. There appears to be a zooming issue on the Mega units. I have seen quite a few side by side images and this was apparent in all the images. Not sure why they do it or what the purpose is.

5. Member
    Here is an interesting comparison someone put together. It does a good job of comparing Active Imaging against Garmin and Humminbird. You can definately see the zooming issue that fishnfrank references. I noticed it myself. On my old boat I had Humminbird Mega Units and went over some of the same stuff with my Live units on the new boat and noticed the objects seemed smaller.

http://www.thinkbig-online.de/docume...ty-Teil-1B.pdf

6. Member
    Some good images in there, wish it were in English, and wish it had SS3D in the comparison section.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

It’s a little suspicious when you compaire the brand new top of the line lowrance unit to last years entry level units from Garmin and humminbird.

8. Member
    Y'all better go over to the humminbird forum because the mega+ is showing awesome images. 5ft water and less out 100 plus all the way to 180 each side.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos4life View Post
    Y'all better go over to the humminbird forum because the mega+ is showing awesome images. 5ft water and less out 100 plus all the way to 180 each side.
    Those are some impressive images!

10. Member
    Lowrance goes on enhanced - imaging way: contrast, ping rate, add, new color palettes. HB goes different path: more power in transducer, chirp as part of sidescan. If SS3D is trully broken after 18.3, there is only one advantage of this unit- deep water fishing, for another type of fishing MI+ looks better than AI, I guess.
    Both transducers needs true comparison on water, it will be true battle ;)
    Last edited by MaciejK; 01-24-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Both are good. The future is now live imaging. Side imaging will always be needed, but live imaging is now the game changer.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullcreek View Post
    Here is an interesting comparison someone put together. It does a good job of comparing Active Imaging against Garmin and Humminbird. You can definately see the zooming issue that fishnfrank references. I noticed it myself. On my old boat I had Humminbird Mega Units and went over some of the same stuff with my Live units on the new boat and noticed the objects seemed smaller.

Things are looking good until you scroll down to the Livesight images and their transducers.
    Time will tell but looks more like standard Panoptic to me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullcreek View Post

WOW!!!!,,,Lowrance ActiveImaging absolutely smokes the competition and SSHD, in that link in post#5. Thanks for sharing

As far LiveSight, IMO I do think it will be similar to garmin Livescope not Panaoptix. I guess time will tell.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    It’s a little suspicious when you compaire the brand new top of the line lowrance unit to last years entry level units from Garmin and humminbird.
    Challenging to use this years models from the competitors when the comparison was done in September or earlier last year

Quote Originally Posted by Scuirus View Post
    Challenging to use this years models from the competitors when the comparison was done in September or earlier last year
    Wouldn’t a better comparison be made by using the best available units from all manufacturers? Not the top of the line from lowrance and the entry level units from everyone else. They did the same thing in the down imaging videos with Garmin. Used the lowest res bottom end unit they had.

16. Member
    Wouldn’t a better comparison be made by using the best available units from all manufacturers? Not the top of the line from lowrance and the entry level units from everyone else. They did the same thing in the down imaging videos with Garmin. Used the lowest res bottom end unit they had.
    Thats why they call it "Marketing"
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

17. Member
    did the same thing in the down imaging videos with Garmin. Used the lowest res bottom end unit they had.
    The screen resolution in this may be less, but if you cannot see the bank at ALL..No amount of screen resolution will fix that!

Look at the comparisons on pages 16 and 17, you literally cannot see the bank on the competitors, and the 17 image of bird is horribly zoomed in appearance and cannot see the bank.

18. Member

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Thats why they call it "Marketing"
    Not that our son really learned anything in High School, but one thing he DID learn, that he told me about, applies here.

He said that advertising uses "weasel words" when it comes to how their product is the best.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

Looking at the images, I have a question on the DI-Fish Reveal Image...With the 18.3 update on my Carbons I can't choose 800 Khz on DI..In fact, like many others, I can't select or show any frequency on DI..Lowrance has verified this..

I am now wondering when these images were actually taken..

Anyone have any input?

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast